Denied in december

Can you get married somewhere else (another country)? If so, a K-3 interview would be held in that country.

Thats what I was told by lawyers and other people but I checked with my senators liason and she said they would not allow her to do the interview in another country unless she lived there.

She can travel to Thailand but needs a visa, I read on the uscis website that only residents could get a visa unless it was certain circumstances that we don't quilify for.

Can you get married somewhere else (another country)? If so, a K-3 interview would be held in that country.

Thats what I was told by lawyers and other people but I checked with my senators liason and she said they would not allow her to do the interview in another country unless she lived there.

She can travel to Thailand but needs a visa, I read on the uscis website that only residents could get a visa unless it was certain circumstances that we don't quilify for.

Not true - the K-3 interview takes place in the country where married. The only restriction is that you would have to be eligible to be married there.

K3 Visas The embassy or consulate where you, the spouse of an American citizen, will apply for a K-3 visa must be in the country where your marriage took place.
9FAM 41.81 (already had it open
Spouse. An alien is classifiable as a nonimmigrant spouse under INA

101(a)(15)(K)(ii) when all of the following requirements are met:

(1) The consular officer is satisfied that the alien is qualified under

that provision and the consular officer has received a petition

approved by the DHS pursuant to INA 214(p)(1), that was filed

by the U.S. citizen spouse of the alien in the United States.

(2) If the alien's marriage to the U.S. citizen was contracted outside

of the United States, the alien is applying in the country in which

the marriage took place, or if there is no consular post in that

country, then at a consular post designated by the Deputy

Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services to accept

immigrant visa applications for nationals of that country.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Not true - the K-3 interview takes place in the country where married. The only restriction is that you would have to be eligible to be married there.

K3 Visas The embassy or consulate where you, the spouse of an American citizen, will apply for a K-3 visa must be in the country where your marriage took place.
9FAM 41.81 (already had it open
Spouse. An alien is classifiable as a nonimmigrant spouse under INA

101(a)(15)(K)(ii) when all of the following requirements are met:

(1) The consular officer is satisfied that the alien is qualified under

that provision and the consular officer has received a petition

approved by the DHS pursuant to INA 214(p)(1), that was filed

by the U.S. citizen spouse of the alien in the United States.

(2) If the alien's marriage to the U.S. citizen was contracted outside

of the United States, the alien is applying in the country in which

the marriage took place, or if there is no consular post in that

country, then at a consular post designated by the Deputy

Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services to accept

immigrant visa applications for nationals of that country.

Ok I found this website that agrees with what you are saying

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html

but then I found this website that doesnt'

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/visas.html

"The consular section at U.S. Embassy Bangkok provides visa services for citizens and residents of Thailand"

Edited by Bryon_Tran (see edit history)

Yup - they do do that! I'm unclear on what you think they disagree with.

My fiacnee can travel to Thailand and it is easy to get a visa there for America. but according to the link it states she must be a resident of Thailand or she must live in Chiang Mai or its surrounds to interview for a non immigrant visa.

The consular section at U.S. Embassy Bangkok provides visa services for citizens and residents of Thailand. Please consult the links to the left for detailed information about immigrant visas, non-immigrant visas, and adoptions. If you live in Chiang Mai or its surrounds, you may interview for non-immigrant visas in Chiang Mai.

You can lead a horse to water . .

Your choice.

But you might do better to look at the immigrant visas page - this is where the K visas are handled.

I'll admit im not the brightest light bulb when it comes to this legal stuff, It scares the heck out of me I'm just afraid of doing something wrong and messing it up. I appriceate the advice though and I will bring it up to my senators liason and show her the FAM rule and see if she can help me with it.

You can lead a horse to water . .

Your choice.

But you might do better to look at the immigrant visas page - this is where the K visas are handled.

I'll admit im not the brightest light bulb when it comes to this legal stuff, It scares the heck out of me I'm just afraid of doing something wrong and messing it up. I appriceate the advice though and I will bring it up to my senators liason and show her the FAM rule and see if she can help me with it.

Yeah - that's a big leap there, since the first thing you would do is go off to Thailand and get married - check some other' stories here (like BrokenHeart, who just a few days ago had his K3 forwarded to Hong Kong - Hong Kong has its own embassy and is treated as a separate country from China for immigration purposes)

We're here to help

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I recall "The Don" once saying that the issue of interviewing in the country of the marriage is a rule of thumb as some rare exceptions exists.

I think it's settled once and for all by just contacting the US Consulate in Thailand and asking them... or asking an immigration attorney who knows of that consulate's handling.

I recall "The Don" once saying that the issue of interviewing in the country of the marriage is a rule of thumb as some rare exceptions exists.

I think it's settled once and for all by just contacting the US Consulate in Thailand and asking them... or asking an immigration attorney who knows of that consulate's handling.

I called the embassy in Thailand and they dont pick up the phone, I did email them however I got a reply a few days later asking me for my case number to be in the subject line otherwise they will not anwser your emails.

I googled wedding in Thailand and emailed an attorny and they emailed me back saying she could indeed file and for about 2500 they would help me. I emailed mr Nam who works for Marcus Ellis with same queston and his reply when I asked him about Thailand was"I do not know if you can register marriage certificate in Thailand and if it is considered valid by the U.S. Government?" so according to him he was not sure. I don't think he is an attorny. I read where a Russian woman was able to marry in Thailand and do the k3 interview in Thailand however she lived there with her husband for a year and a half so she was considered a resident.

I was also told if you do that it looks like you have something to hide, however my response to that is why is the consulate in Ho Chi Minh denying our visa for bogus made up reasons and why are they unwilling to listen to logic there should be no difference between that consulate and the consulate in Thailand but there is.

Edited by Bryon_Tran (see edit history)