Health care options for loved ones upon arrival

Hello all,

For those who do not carry extendable company health insurance (who cannot offer insurance to their loved ones through their own insurance)-- what are the options that are LEGAL for our loved ones in the event they need emergency medical care during the time they are in our "care" according to immigration law?

First I should add that the health plan we're looking to buy is not available to immigrants until they receive a ss or tax ID #. So what are the options in the event of an emergency at this juncture?

I am aware they are not eligible for social programs or assistance-- such as welfare or medicare/medical?

But what in the case of an emergency?

Medicare states they ARE eligible for emergency only benefits...but they are perhaps n0t well connected or well versed on immigration law for recent immigrants.

?

Thanks!

Any help!

If I still lived in Ca, I'd go where my neighbors go. http://www.laclinica.org/services.shtml There must be something with a similar name near you.

Also, your local County Health Clinic is a good resource. Ditto for the services of your County Health supported Hospital. Most hospital admissions probably are not allowed to tell you about any special low or no income programs the hospital offers. Call around first and talk directly to the financial assistance people at the hospital.

So, 'do not carry extendable' means your health plan does not cover spouses? wow...

yeah, disabled veterans and students, etc. don't have that opportunity to extend their health care benefits to others.

Thanks for the tips.

Isn't it true though that recent immigrants cannot receive any public assistance or welfare? Doesn't that include those low income or free cost medical things?

Thanks again for the tips!

:lol:

Local programs and Indigent Care programs may be able to help in an emergency, but otherwise I'm not sure. I had a hard enough time trying to get help as a legal citizen.

yeah, disabled veterans and students, etc. don't have that opportunity to extend their health care benefits to others.

Thanks for the tips.

Isn't it true though that recent immigrants cannot receive any public assistance or welfare? Doesn't that include those low income or free cost medical things?

Thanks again for the tips!

:lol:

Local programs and Indigent Care programs may be able to help in an emergency, but otherwise I'm not sure. I had a hard enough time trying to get help as a legal citizen.

No - but you MIGHT be asked (in court) to re-imburse these expenses by the government. I think this is pretty well unheard of.

The low income or free cost medical things are usually not considered "means-tested" benefits.

i can't remember your visa type - but - you're asking about a small time window, imo.

If all it takes for your insurance plan, to cover him, is a ssn, then it should take less than 40 days for him to get a ssn from the local ssa office. Wait about 15 calendar days from his poe date, then go apply.

The SSN should arrive within a week to 10 days after you applying. Be fierce if you have to, at the SSA office, as the 'front line clerk' you speak with is usually a recent hire.

As to 'medical needs' - there are commericial clinics in your area - most have reasonable rates for walk in service, so try not to have any emergency outside of their operating hours.

One thing you should seriously look at - is any additional vaccination shots he will need for the AOS package. When he's at the medical exam, getting some shots, ask for the yellow international shot record card - and have him carry that with him. THEN - you have two options - 1) get the additional shots that AOS may or may not require, in CHINA, where it's cheaper, or 2) get the shots at a 'free clinic' in your area - they will charge a small fee per shot || either way you go, have that international shot record updated.

There is a 3rd option, of course, and that is to outright BUY him a medical insurance plan from any third party carrier. NASE offers such medical coverage to its members (National Association of Self-Employed Folk) but it may be possible to get temp coverage in your area - call up your favorite insurance buddies (they love to hear about new accounts, will be a shot in the head for them) and ask them for quotes.

Good Luck !

border jumping mexicans get there health care free so i would not sweat this , if she get sick , they have to give her minium care , that is the law,you sign as the one who will pay the bill,. my personal opion is that if tax payers have to take care of wet backs, our legal loved ones should be treated no less,i see mexicans lined up at our health department, more than whites and blacks,if we did not have insurance, and my wife was ill , yes to the hospital we would go,

once you have ss# you can purchase insurance.

no hospital with a emergency dept can turn away or not treat anybody (thats the law) insured or not.

That's right. And if you avoid signing any documents they try to push on you, you should stay in the clear for later financial liability.

border jumping mexicans get there health care free so i would not sweat this , if she get sick , they have to give her minium care , that is the law,you sign as the one who will pay the bill,. my personal opion is that if tax payers have to take care of wet backs, our legal loved ones should be treated no less,i see mexicans lined up at our health department, more than whites and blacks,if we did not have insurance, and my wife was ill , yes to the hospital we would go,

THAT, is completely unnecessary.

Thank you all for the input!

I really do want to avoid taking him to an emergency room without insurance if the need arose-- because they'd pin me as the responsible party and I'd be stuck with a HUGE bill on my credit if I didn't pay...so I was hoping to find an option for him that is low cost or free that would cover his visit and would be legal according to immigration.

I do wonder how the gov't will know if he uses any welfare or public assistance medical help)?

Thank you all for the input!

I really do want to avoid taking him to an emergency room without insurance if the need arose-- because they'd pin me as the responsible party and I'd be stuck with a HUGE bill on my credit if I didn't pay...so I was hoping to find an option for him that is low cost or free that would cover his visit and would be legal according to immigration.

I do wonder how the gov't will know if he uses any welfare or public assistance medical help)?

OK, but look at it this way. If you truly have an emergency, I think you can get by with saying you just met this person outside and they are HAVING AN EMERGENCY. You don't need to sign nuttin. Get him admintted, don't sign anything, end of story.

If you husband is going to study in the US and he is registered full time you can get coverage for $77-$86 a month - $50 deductable $250,000 cap and the will pay all expenses to travel back to china if needed. (that is why it is so cheap). They also have other plans if he is not a full time student that range from $76-146. They are very willing to work with you when you call. The only drawback is that you have to submit the claims to them for reimbushment. They insure many of the students in college ESL programs across the USA. This is worth the peace of mind especially if you huband is out exploring America by himself and when he starts driving.

http://www.rustassoc.com/

inbound individual & group health insurance | premier america

With the Premier America suite of insurance coverage plans, you can enjoy your stay in the U.S. and have peace of mind knowing that your medical benefits are taken care of. All three plans feature a Preferred Provider Network (PPO Network) that enables you to avoid costly out of pocket expenses, and all three plans meet or exceed all Visa requirements.

You are eligible for these plans if:

your passport is from a country other than the United States, and

the primary purpose of your stay in the United States is to participate in a sponsored or planned international exchange activity.