GIV-24 Contradictions

Hello All,

I was hoping that some of you could enlighten me as to how you answered questions 6 & 8 on the GIV-24, as they both appear to contradict themselves to me.

Question 6: Asks the beneficiary to list all of their relatives in the instructions but then also within the relationship column it displays an entry as Spouse/fianc¨¦(e). In the case of a K-1, should the beneficiary list their fianc¨¦e as a family member here? If so, then the next part of question 6 which asks the beneficiary to attest to the fact that they only have the X number of relatives listed above would contradict this - as a fianc¨¦e is not yet a relative.

Question 8: Asks that the Petitoner's relatives including any previous spouses be listed here. If indeed the Petitioner's previous spouse(s) are listed here then this would contradict the second part of the question which then asks the beneficiary to attest to the fact that the petitioner only has the X number of relatives listed above because a previous spouse is no longer a relative to the petitioner.

I am divorced (the petitioner) and just want to make sure that we provide GUZ with the information that they are looking for and where they want it but this form is full of contradictions and so I would really appreciate any and all input. Thank you so much!

Hi Dnoblett - thanks for the response. Yes, I actually researched some of the past threads concerning the GIV-24 including the two that you provided before I posted mine however none of the ones that I came across actually address my noted concerns/contradictions.

Hello All,

I was hoping that some of you could enlighten me as to how you answered questions 6 & 8 on the GIV-24, as they both appear to contradict themselves to me.

Question 6: Asks the beneficiary to list all of their relatives in the instructions but then also within the relationship column it displays an entry as Spouse/fianc¨¦(e). In the case of a K-1, should the beneficiary list their fianc¨¦e as a family member here? If so, then the next part of question 6 which asks the beneficiary to attest to the fact that they only have the X number of relatives listed above would contradict this - as a fianc¨¦e is not yet a relative.

Question 8: Asks that the Petitoner's relatives including any previous spouses be listed here. If indeed the Petitioner's previous spouse(s) are listed here then this would contradict the second part of the question which then asks the beneficiary to attest to the fact that the petitioner only has the X number of relatives listed above because a previous spouse is no longer a relative to the petitioner.

I am divorced (the petitioner) and just want to make sure that we provide GUZ with the information that they are looking for and where they want it but this form is full of contradictions and so I would really appreciate any and all input. Thank you so much!

In question 6, they are asking for people with specific relations to you. The count is of (your) children. Not all of the people listed above will be your children.

In question 8, they spell out each relation they want you to list. Then they ask how many brother and sisters your spouse has. Include natural, adopted, half and step brothers and sisters in the count.

They DO NOT ask how many (total) relations you have listed.

The relations they are asking about seem to be pretty well specified in each case - don't make things difficult on yourself.

In question 6, they are asking for people with specific relations to you. The count is of (your) children. Not all of the people listed above will be your children.

In question 8, they spell out each relation they want you to list. Then they ask how many brother and sisters your spouse has. Include natural, adopted, half and step brothers and sisters in the count.

They DO NOT ask how many (total) relations you have listed.

The relations they are asking about seem to be pretty well specified in each case - don't make things difficult on yourself.

Perhaps there is more than one version of this form in circulation then because the version that is currently available on the GUZ website specifically asks the following on question 8:

"My Spouse or fianace(e) has only the ______ relatives listed above."

It specifically asks for the number of relatives which have been listed above - yet a previous spouse which it asks to be listed is not a relative. Leave it up to the government to muddy up what should be a pretty simple form to complete :o

Edited by Eric (see edit history)

Haha - yes they do in fact have 2 different versions listed on their website then. I believe the link that you provided above is to an older one because it is REV 05/07 and the one listed below which is the one that I was looking at is REV 02/08

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...ition_Sheet.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Just to further confuse some of us, what name do they want listed for the ex wife? Her name from when she was married to you or do they want her maiden name. Above it asks for your mother's maiden name, as for the ex (s) it does not specify which name they require.

Thanks,

Gary

Just to further confuse some of us, what name do they want listed for the ex wife? Her name from when she was married to you or do they want her maiden name. Above it asks for your mother's maiden name, as for the ex (s) it does not specify which name they require.

Thanks,

Gary

No need to list exwives. They are not relatives. I certainly did not list them and all went well.

Question 6 states:

If your parent or spouse has had more than one marriage, please include all former spouses. List all children from these relationships.

Thanks,

Gary

No need to list exwives. They are not relatives. I certainly did not list them and all went well.

I think you are very correct because when I reviewed them they sounded very confusing to me also. I have not had to fill one out yet. maybe someone here can help by filling out an examlpe one for us to use asa guideline. :clapping:

Right, list the children from the ex spouses if any. I had one child from an ex spouse and I listed him. This way I was including the child of an ex spouse. Their wording on this form is very confusing. I went with the sworn statement at the bottom of the questions as that is what they are looking for. They are looking for blood or legal relatives. Your exes do not fit this description. However if you choose to list the exs, then I doubt it will hurt.

Question 6 states:

If your parent or spouse has had more than one marriage, please include all former spouses. List all children from these relationships.

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

Right, list the children from the ex spouses if any. I had one child from an ex spouse and I listed him. This way I was including the child of an ex spouse. Their wording on this form is very confusing. I went with the sworn statement at the bottom of the questions as that is what they are looking for. They are looking for blood or legal relatives. Your exes do not fit this description. However if you choose to list the exs, then I doubt it will hurt.

Question 6 states:

Thanks,

Gary

we entered children but not ex' s