Leaving China with fiancee via HK and transfers

My girl assures me we can travel from Shenzhen to HK's airport as long as she has a ticket. Would customs blink at just a printed E-Ticket from Orbitz or a similar service? Anyone try that before? It was a huge hassle getting her to HK once before. The customs agent accused her of NOT being the same person as in her ID pictures because she had cut her hair. :)

And what about transfers in a foreign airport with a US K1 Visa but not a visa from the country of the airport we transfer in? The reason I ask, I saw a super cheap ticket from HK--->Heathrow for a couple of hours--> DFW as our POE. Also one even cheaper that went through Tokyo.

Still have a few weeks, just don't want any surprises.

We went from Shenzhen to HK airport. They screen the Chinese national very, very closely, but as long as you have a valid visa they have no reason to deny the Chinese person entry into HK for 7 days.

I was not aware of the airplane ticket thing. We did have a printout of the ticket from HK to Taiwan to SFO, but none of the immigration people I talked to said this was necessary. Who's to say you can't just buy a ticket in HK to whatever POE you want while vacationing in HK for a few days?

Still, it is probably safer to have the ticket in place. I've never seen people scrutinize so closely. The guard we had asked my fiancee questions, rubbed the US visa to see if ink came off, triple checked her passport, etc., so a little paranoia is probably smart.

I know that several of our members have brought back their sweet hearts through HK after getting the visa. As long as they have a valid visa and plane ticket it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if an e-ticket is sufficient or not. Combined with the visa and you with her I doubt you will have any problems.

If you are traveling via SkyPier to HKG this is what their website has about check-in policy:

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transpo...-prd-ports.html

A couple of weeks ago we checked at ZhuHai and if I recall correctly a printed check-in page was allowed. United will not allow you to print complete boarding pass away from HKG. The one thing that the ladies at Jiuzhou Port were adamant about was the 2 hour lead time upon ferry arrival to plane departure, regardless of not having any checked bags.

This one has a flow chart and other items to help get started. I'm sure your lady won't let you forget to get your refund on the departure tax. Yi's already hounded me to make sure we will get ours.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transpo...-prd-ports.html

Good Luck

Steve

Just remember there is physical difference between a boarding pass and a paper ticket.

If you have an e-ticket, you can get a boarding pass at the check in counter, prior to going into international departure area.

You SHOULD be fine with just a boarding pass and the visa. Just remember - when you are CHECKING IN - you're NOT in the international departure area - Customs hasn't 'checked' you yet. Get the boarding pass, you'll be fine .

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Transiting should not be a problem at London, or Tokyo.

UK:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Passengers who may be granted permission by the Immigration authorities to enter the United Kingdom, for a stay not exceeding 24 hours.

The following conditions must be complied with:

- passengers hold confirmed reservations for an onward flight within 24 hours; and

- continue to a third country; and

- have no purpose in entering the United Kingdom other than topass through in transit; and

- hold all documents required for the next destination.

- ***Warning*** Nationals of China (People's Rep.) may only use this administrative concession (TWOV) above if holding:

- a visa which allows entry into (or transit through) either Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the U.S.A.; and

- holding a valid ticket for travel from a third country or territory via the U.K. as part of a journey TO (or through) Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the U.S.A., whichever the visa is applicable to (e.g.: DEL-LHR-JFK, DEL-CDG-LHR-JFK, DEL-LHR-CDG-JFK or DEL-LHR-JFK-MEX)

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C

Japan:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Those continuing their journey to a third country on the same day. If transit time is less than 72 hours, For details, click here http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_clie...ubuser=DELTAB2C

Visa required, except for Those holding a Transit-Pass issued if:

For details, click here http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_clie...ubuser=DELTAB2C

- Transit-Pass facility is restricted to transit between Narita and Haneda, Narita and Yokohama, or Osaka and Kobe only for nationals of China (People's Rep.).

Additional Information:

- All visitors must hold onward or return ticket, proof of sufficient funds to cover duration of their stay in Japan and documents required for their next destination.

- An unexpired visa in an expired passport may be used provided For details, click here http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_clie...ubuser=DELTAB2C

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Good information guys. Thank you. :coffee1:

She had 1 visa to allow her to go to HK and 1 for Macau. They are used now and to renew require her father to obtain the paperwork in her hometown for her if she doesn't fly back. It was a pretty complicated process and took a couple of weeks.

I think we might try the ferry option. I usually go through LuoHu. For me it's like going from Kansas to Oz when you cross the border there. :blink:

Hey Batmaniac,

Easiest way to do it from Shenzhen is to go to the Huanggang border crossing and purchase a ticket to Honk Kong airport from Sky Limo. They do it two different ways, 1) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive around the corner to China customs, you get out, go through China customs and meet them on the other side of the building where you get on the van and they take you through Hong Kong customs without getting out of the van and then on to Hong Kong Airport and they'll drop you right at the terminal ... or 2) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive several miles west to the Shenzhen Bay border crossing and you go through both the Chinese customs and the Hong Kong customs without even getting out of the van! Again they drop you right at the terminal. 150RMB each or 180HKD each. :happybday:

Haiqing has even made arrangements with them to pick us up at our house here in Shenzhen the day we leave so we don't need to worry about getting all the luggage to the Huanggang border crossing! She can tell your fiancee all about it this weekend when we get together.

See you then! :partytime2:

Bob

Hey Batmaniac,

Easiest way to do it from Shenzhen is to go to the Huanggang border crossing and purchase a ticket to Honk Kong airport from Sky Limo. They do it two different ways, 1) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive around the corner to China customs, you get out, go through China customs and meet them on the other side of the building where you get on the van and they take you through Hong Kong customs without getting out of the van and then on to Hong Kong Airport and they'll drop you right at the terminal ... or 2) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive several miles west to the Shenzhen Bay border crossing and you go through both the Chinese customs and the Hong Kong customs without even getting out of the van! Again they drop you right at the terminal. 150RMB each or 180HKD each. :happybday:

Haiqing has even made arrangements with them to pick us up at our house here in Shenzhen the day we leave so we don't need to worry about getting all the luggage to the Huanggang border crossing! She can tell your fiancee all about it this weekend when we get together.

See you then! :partytime2:

Bob

Oh that sounds sorta like what I did back in March from the hotel we stayed at. Didn't even consider something like this for BOTH of us. It was very convenient. Hopefully the printed E Ticket will work!

Hey Batmaniac,

Easiest way to do it from Shenzhen is to go to the Huanggang border crossing and purchase a ticket to Honk Kong airport from Sky Limo. They do it two different ways, 1) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive around the corner to China customs, you get out, go through China customs and meet them on the other side of the building where you get on the van and they take you through Hong Kong customs without getting out of the van and then on to Hong Kong Airport and they'll drop you right at the terminal ... or 2) You buy the ticket, they'll load your luggage, you get on the van, they drive several miles west to the Shenzhen Bay border crossing and you go through both the Chinese customs and the Hong Kong customs without even getting out of the van! Again they drop you right at the terminal. 150RMB each or 180HKD each. :D

See you then! :(

Bob

Bob

have you tried it already?

I think she will get stopped by the Chinese customs. Will they let her through without the HK visa?

I know the HK customs requirements is K-1 visa, chinese passport, and ticket or confirmation of flight.

but has she actually gone through without the HK visa?

HK customs is not the problem I believe, I think the chinese customs will prevent her from leaving.

Tell me I'm wrong, it will save people a lot of time and money getting a HK visa

I've been digging for more information on this subject and here is what I've found so far.

An old post from Orrin who transited through HK

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ic=2035&hl=

There is an outdated link in that post but when I followed it I found a link to a Govt HK site

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_9.htm#transit

Transit

14. Chinese passport holders who are in transit through Hong Kong to and from another country or territory may be granted a stay of seven days on each landing without the prior need to obtain an entry permit provided that usual immigration requirements are met, including possession of valid entry facilities for the destination and confirmed onward booking for the overseas journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. We crossed the border and are now at the Regal Aiport Hotel - and she is pissed I am "occupying" the computer - but we did have a slight snag at HK customs.

Wasn't so cut and dry on the HK side. We took a private van over and crossed the China side OK, however at the HK border crossing we had to go inside and talk briefly to an officer and show him our E tickets, passports and US visa. Whole delay took about 30 extra minutes. I think some of the extra scrutiny may be due to a company Ying worked for 5 years ago at got her a Malaysian Visa thinking she could cross into HK and work there without plane tickets to Malaysia. Didn't happen of course and the China stamp was crossed out on her passport and she was sent back until she got a proper HK passport.

The officers were friendly enough and when they realized she wasn't staying in HK, the officer took the passport and stamped it. It then sat on a desk for a few minutes while another guy signed it out and waited for a girl to walk us back outside to the van and we were on our way!

Anyway, we are here and I'm getting hungry. Trying to resist ordering a club sandwich from room service. Want to go out and find the HK Blu-ray of Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey too before I leave.