Leaving China with fiancee via HK and transfers

Just an update. We crossed the border and are now at the Regal Aiport Hotel - and she is pissed I am "occupying" the computer - but we did have a slight snag at HK customs.

Wasn't so cut and dry on the HK side. We took a private van over and crossed the China side OK, however at the HK border crossing we had to go inside and talk briefly to an officer and show him our E tickets, passports and US visa. Whole delay took about 30 extra minutes. I think some of the extra scrutiny may be due to a company Ying worked for 5 years ago at got her a Malaysian Visa thinking she could cross into HK and work there without plane tickets to Malaysia. Didn't happen of course and the China stamp was crossed out on her passport and she was sent back until she got a proper HK passport.

The officers were friendly enough and when they realized she wasn't staying in HK, the officer took the passport and stamped it. It then sat on a desk for a few minutes while another guy signed it out and waited for a girl to walk us back outside to the van and we were on our way!

Anyway, we are here and I'm getting hungry. Trying to resist ordering a club sandwich from room service. Want to go out and find the HK Blu-ray of Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey too before I leave.

Hey Batmaniac,

Thanks for the info about going through customs, we'll be making that same trip in 30 days ;)

We knew you were leaving the 20th and Haiqing and I were going to call you guys on Ying's cell phone this evening when she gets home from work to wish you a good safe trip to the US. B) Since you guys are already in Hong Kong you probably can't get the call so we'll wish you all the best here. :P

You have our phone numbers so give us a call once the dust has settled :ph34r: ... I'm sure Haiqing would love hearing Ying's experience of traveling to the US. The 22nd to the 29th we'll be up north visiting family for Chinese New Year so you won't be able to reach us then.

Have a great flight!

Bob & Haiqing

Yeah we wanted to call you guys yesterday and it got crazy with 3 people looking at our apartment. Never did sublet it out. The owner really needs to update the furniture and paint. The only thing going for that place is the location. Probably have lost the deposit, but Ying's brother still has some time to find us a renter.

We'll call you soon!

Edited by Batmaniac (see edit history)