Chinese Protest on Human Rights Anniversary

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this is my favorite part:

But on Monday, the Beijing News newspaper published an investigative report that said provincial officials in a city in eastern Shandong province committed petitioners complaining about local corruption or land seizures to mental hospitals.

If you're not happy in Shandong you must be crazy :threeques: lol.

But on Monday, the Beijing News newspaper published an investigative report that said provincial officials in a city in eastern Shandong province committed petitioners complaining about local corruption or land seizures to mental hospitals.

If you're not happy in Shandong you must be crazy :crazy: lol.

I read about this too Jason but I can't report it... :ph34r: Be happy that you can... :D

If you're not happy in Shandong you must be crazy :D lol.

That's what the old Soviets use to do. Even Stalin's daughter was in the nut house for criticizing Moscow's policies.

How many marches on Washington DC do we have... everybody wants to demand some rights :happy2:

We seem to forget the common denominator in all this; where the power in society rests; ultimately with the government.

We seem to glory in rights that need constant protection. Only our vigilance protects these rights, not the government.

I was on Nixon's black list in the 70's.

My father (a government worker) was ordered kidnapped for disposal by a Senator (no longer living) another Senator (a family friend) got his release. We live on the edge of a free society and can teeter either way.

A free press can be as deceptive as a government controlled press and harder to recognize.

How many marches on Washington DC do we have... everybody wants to demand some rights ;)

We seem to forget the common denominator in all this; where the power in society rests; ultimately with the government.

We seem to glory in rights that need constant protection. Only our vigilance protects these rights, not the government.

I was on Nixon's black list in the 70's.

My father (a government worker) was ordered kidnapped for disposal by a Senator (no longer living) another Senator (a family friend) got his release. We live on the edge of a free society and can teeter either way.

A free press can be as deceptive as a government controlled press and harder to recognize.

"Give up demands for democracy and free speech and we'll make you rich"...This implicit agreement between the government and the governed in China is what is now keeping their leaders awake at night... :happy2: With projected growth for 2009 now down to 7.5 % or even lower there is no shortage of very unhappy people...factory workers by the 100,000's are just the cutting edge...newly graduated students...taxi drivers and even police are starting to make their grievances known...Will China come apart at the seams over this economic downturn remains to be seen... :yahoo:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wo...0,2413482.story

And David I could not disagree more strongly with your assertion... ;) it is too passive for me...and I hope most others...Dan and I were both involved in a protest movement that brought down a sitting president and reversed ouir foreign policy...It is a precious right that is always inherent in the rights of the governed...In China it has been denied for a very long time but it is being reawakened with these economic hard times...

The power in any society rests ultimately with the people..."of the people, by the people, and for the people."... :redmad:

You're right, rogerluli. But only to the extent that the people must VOTE. 30% isn't enough. An informed and participating population is the key. I don't know if the American way would [or should] work in China.

Of course there are differences in the cultures of American and China... :happy2:

But it is my belief that every person wants a say in how they are governed...every person would very much like to enjoy the rights that Americans have to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness... :o to free speech and assembly, etc, etc... :yahoo: these are not American rights but basic rights of any people...

I always find it interesting that we are so adamant about 'right's and 'individualism'. Yet, we have numerous laws controlling the behavior of adults from what we put into our body to who we can call a spouse. There are groups of people just worried sick over what you may or may not be doing in the privacy of your own home. To speak out in favor of any makes you subject to be chastised as doper, queer or just weird.

You're right, rogerluli. But only to the extent that the people must VOTE. 30% isn't enough. An informed and participating population is the key. I don't know if the American way would [or should] work in China.

... for now.

Maybe at some point in the future, but certainly not now.