Social Security question?

hi all,

if my fiance entered the US on a k-1 visa and her entry form stated not authorized to work. when she files for her SS number does she check not authorized to work? then it asks why you need a SS number? do we wait till we marry next month and file after we change her adjustment of status? after we marry does that make her eligable to work if we file the work permission form?

please help :greenblob:

Your local social security office should be (notice I said should be) familiar with K1 visa. She is not authorized to work until she gets EAD. However, she can get the card before that. She can state she needs the card to open bank account, get drivers license, etc. It seems that each office has its own ideas of the rules regarding SSN. We obtained the card once Li was formally entered into the BCIS data base. In our case that took almost three months. We obtained the card about six weeks later. Again, the hold up was BCIS foot dragging in terms of getting her entered into the data base. Good luck and keep the faith. :greenblob:

Well, went my love entered the country an entry was made on her I-94 "employment authorized". I would wait until after getting married so you get her married name on the SS card but be sure to take the marrige certifcate with you so they can reconcile the names.

Didn't she get a letter from the GZ consulate stating that she had to get a SSN? Seems like a good reason to get one.

Love entered in LAX.

Entering the US on a valid K-1 Visa enables the fiance to apply for and recveive a free temporary EAD card good for 90 days. You should apply for this before you apply for the SSN.. You should apply for this whether she is going to work or not. This gets her into the system. This is also a legitimate form of ID. When you file for the AOS she can get another EAD card good for one year.