Help: Chinese translation

Hi everyone,

Well, I have great news! Candy and I are engaged. I wish to help her get a K1 fiancee visa so that we can get married in the U.S. and my parents can be there.

Hehe, since I created the Candle website, you¡¯d think I understand the process. However, I came out here to China without any of the forms or paperwork. I just wanted to let my heart be my guide, and work out the details later. You know the saying the devil is in the details.

Sooooo, I am asking for your help. We wish to go the fianc¨¦e visa route. Candy is concerned that we need to ¡°µÇ¼Ç×¢²á¡± in order for me to help her get a U.S. visa. I am concerned that if we do this, we would be ineligible to get a fianc¨¦e visa, since this would be considered a marriage by U.S. law. Unfortunately, my Cantonese has not yet reached a point where I can understand what she is asking, but the Cantonese is pronounced ¡°dong4 gei3¡±, and the Chinese text is: µÇ¼Ç×¢²á

Could someone who knows Chinese and understands the fianc¨¦e visa please explain this for us? In order to view the Chinese text, you need to right click in IE and select encoding->Simplified Chinese. I am also emailing this to a handful of friends from Candle who I know can read Chinese, just in case the Chinese text does not turn out correctly here.

Well, wish us luck, everyone, and if you can help us understand µÇ¼Ç×¢²á please post here or email me.

Sincerely,

P.J.

:P :D ;)

P.J.

as i understand "µÇ¼Ç×¢²á" means you and candy marry in China. that is what me and my husband did in Hangzhou. We went to this office and µÇ¼Ç×¢²á us as a couple. But if you would do that then you will be unable to apply for a K-1 visa but only K-3 or CR-1 like ours.

I am sorry that I dont know much about K visa but only CR-1. If you guys marry in China then i can explain all these process to Candy.

Good Luck

p.s. If you apply CR-1 visa in China then it will save you a lot time. We applied CR-1 in June and we receive the first packet in July. and the second packet in Augest. So it is really faster than you apply in the U.S.

Lei,

In order to get the CR-1, don't I have to be living and working in China?

P.J.

Yes P.J. You must change your travel visa to a working visa. Most companies will help you to change your visa. But also it is not that easy to get marry in CHina. You need some specail files and My husband is going to tell you more details about it .Good luck :P

Hi PJ,

you need to prove you are single. so you need to get a print out from your local county registrar showing your marriage history for the last 10 years. also any divorce papers if you have. then with that you need to have it notarized by you govenors office. they should know about it when you ask. then after that take it to a chinese emabassy closest to you and have them translate it. voila. your proof your not married. its a pain , i know.

orbitalpunk http://users.dslextreme.com/~orbitalpunk/op.gif

Hi Lei and Maggie,

Thanks very much for the information. I really am glad that I asked about the "µÇ¼Ç×¢²á" because I did not understand. In that case, we will not "µÇ¼Ç×¢²á", and instead we will go the K1 fiancee visa route. Unfortunately, I do not have the means to convert my current travel visa into a working visa, so I figure at this point the K1 is the best route for us.

Sincerely,

P.J.

PJ...

From the "for what it's worth department..."

Maybe because we're expecting now and my paternal instincts are developing, I think it is very wise to go through the K-1 process. I don't know all your particulars; the engagement is exciting. But, marriage? Somehow that feels too fast. God...I sound like my mother. Sorry. The striking thing for me in this thread is that you haven't established a way to translate the fact she's even suggesting marriage. That's a little concerning.

Take the time to enjoy each other. Work out some of the communication bugs (I'm sure we all have them). Let K-1 be your friend...it buys time to form a solid foundation for our marriages. I know I was ready to marry JM after only a few months. But, I knew statistically it was a bad idea (my parents married in WWII after having known each other five weeks....still married after 59 years and hated everyday of it). However, I look what JM and I have enjoyed over the last year (we met 9/3/02) and it has been a magical courtship/engagement. Yeah....having them live half a world away is hard, but whether you're engaged or married, they'll still live half a world away. Unless, of course, you plan to move to China during the process.

Good luck. Congrats! Looking forward to reading more about your new fiancee and the eventual wedding. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i/bell.gif

Dave