Where in the US to Move

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh, I hate going through a Chiropractic office. In California you can't help falling over a Chinese Herb, Chinese medicine shop where the doctors are very approachable. In a Chiropractic office... well, keep it.

Oh well... Can't have everything I guess.

Well im sure there's probably great acupuncture centers. My Chinese friends always tell me to just ask if i need it and they'll know where to send me. Alot of the good Chinese stuff all you gotta do is ask someone. Huntsville has a lot of great "best kept secret" places, Chinese and not

Amber,

It seems land in Huntsville is rather on the expensive side. Are there areas around Huntsville that are more woodsy, where you can see the night sky and not be too expensive?

Here in Florida land is around 15k an acre. As I search Huntsville it's double that or so.

Thanks,

Amber,

It seems land in Huntsville is rather on the expensive side. Are there areas around Huntsville that are more woodsy, where you can see the night sky and not be too expensive?

Here in Florida land is around 15k an acre. As I search Huntsville it's double that or so.

Thanks,

LORD where are you looking???????

For some great cheap land where you can still see the good sky look off of County Line Rd. in Madison. It's just a couple of minutes out of Huntsville and the land is very cheap if you get it on the right side of COunty Line. Cuz honestly if you're seeing around 30k you are looking in the lawyer and doctor areas!

Yep, just put queries for Madison and got the same numbers 20k or more an acre. hmmm.. Maybe there's another way to search.

If you really are interested i can give you my realator's email. he can get an idea of what kind of area you want to live in and show you the cheapest areas. See in Huntsville and Madison there's a lot of doctors and lawyer, so it's easy to find the expensive areas. Those are the areas you're also going to see at the top of searches though. If you really want to check out Huntsville, i'll get you in touch with Ron.

Well, that sounds cool about Huntsville but I looked for Acupuncture listings which is usually a good indicator of Chinese presence but found no "Chinese" shops. All seemed to be Chiropractic or ppl of the west practicing Acupuncture.

Does Huntsville have a "China Town" area or is the Chinese population all spread out?

Thanks,

The Chinese population is mostly spread out, highly educated, and affluent. There are many Chinese students as well at UAH (University of Alabama Huntsville). As for Acupuncture, there are a number of practitioners here, but few are Chinese. Like most cities, there is a slew of Chinese eateries, several of them very good and one or two that are authentic. Of course there are many Chinese working in the restaurants, almost all from Fujian.

There are at least two fairly large Chinese Churches in town. Also, there is a city just west of here that Lauren referred to - Madison. It is conjoint with Hunstville and somewhat trendy with higher property prices. It is nice but traffic out that way can be a bit brutal.

I don't know of any Chinese shops per se, there are several good Asian foodstores. The best one is down on South Parkway. We go down there about once a month or so, but it is on the south end of town and quite a hike from where we live in Tennessee.

The closest "Chinatown" I am aware of is probably Atlanta, about four hours away. Also quite a large Chinese population in Birmingham, 100 miles to the south.

Yep, just put queries for Madison and got the same numbers 20k or more an acre. hmmm.. Maybe there's another way to search.

Madison is getting higher and higher. One thing that may have an effect on land prices around here has to do with BRAC - Base Realignment and Closings. Many of the DoD military bases are either being closed or shipped to Huntsville. Projections are anywhere from 3500 to 5500 new jobs here in the next three years, with many folks already starting to transfer to this area. Housing starts are flourishing in the outlying areas, particularly in West Madison, near County Line Road, the place Lauren mentioned.

If you want woodsy, head out of town a little more. Harvest is still fairly rural in places and it is near town, as is a small community north of Huntsville called Toney. Where I live is in a small town named Ardmore, which is somewhat unique. Although the entire town has a population of about 5,000, we have two states and four counties within the city limits. The Alabama/Tennessee state line runs right on the yellow line on Main Street.

Businesses on one side of the street are in TN and on the other side in AL. You can well imagine what goes on here the third Saturday in October every year. That's the date of the annual Alabama/Tennessee football game. I am surprised there isn't more gunplay.

We have lots of woods up here if you like that sort of thing. In fact, my back yard borders two fields, one with cows and donkeys and the other with horses. Very common to see deer in our yard eating clover and raiding the garden early in the morning. We are 23 miles north of Huntsville; 80 miles south of Nashville. In Tennessee, two other cities besides Nashville are worth checking into - Chattanooga and Memphis. Chattanooga is a beautiful city. The entire downtown area has been reworked and is now a major tourist area. The Tennessee River runs right through downtown. Memphis is fine too, and much larger than Huntsville or Chattanooga. Lots of Chinese over there.

If I had the money I would live in Irvine. Lived there before (Costa Mesa) and loved it. But, again, it's expensive.

We want to be somewhat free of a financial overhead. So, if we want to take off to China on a whim we could do that.

In California the financial overhead is too much.

So, what else is there. We like to be near nature too. I'm an avid Jeeper and like getting out in the woods. We also like warmer weather. I'm currently in Florida which is not bad but not much of a Chinese Cultural imprint here.

I guess there's Phoenix. Anyone live there?

Looking for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am from Phoenix and my wife lived in Phoenix when we met. There is a Chinese Cultural Center there and they do a lot of things for the Chinese holidays. The center has some mainland restaurants and an Asian supermarket. There are also asian supermarkets located around town.

My wife absolutely loved it there and we have chinese friends there too. My old Chinese teacher is the one of the heads for Chinese activities in Phoenix. There is a chinese school for activities after school for the kids.

Phoenix is not as busy as LA, but it has a bit of everything too. The only downside of living there is the Summer which can be very hot. But after the first summer you will be used to it. Also the winters more than make up for it. Just like SoCal there is sunshine almost everyday!

If have any more questions about Phoenix, I will be more than happy to help. I can also introduce you and your family to some Chinese people too.

Miles and LeiLei

laurenamber,

how is the IT in your area? i'm a network engineer in nyc, so there plenty of IT jobs in nyc. i manage CISCO equipments.

The IT is actually really good, especially with CISCO equips. What kind of specific jobs ar eyou looking for? I'll let yo knwo what's available. Currently right now most places are on a hiring freeze since it's at the end.

As for Madison, inner Madison IS getting pricier, but once you hit County Line Rd which is on the line with Limestone, property gets REALLY cheap. But now are you looking for land or a home?

Hi,

I am from Phoenix and my wife lived in Phoenix when we met. There is a Chinese Cultural Center there and they do a lot of things for the Chinese holidays. The center has some mainland restaurants and an Asian supermarket. There are also asian supermarkets located around town.

My wife absolutely loved it there and we have chinese friends there too. My old Chinese teacher is the one of the heads for Chinese activities in Phoenix. There is a chinese school for activities after school for the kids.

Phoenix is not as busy as LA, but it has a bit of everything too. The only downside of living there is the Summer which can be very hot. But after the first summer you will be used to it. Also the winters more than make up for it. Just like SoCal there is sunshine almost everyday!

If have any more questions about Phoenix, I will be more than happy to help. I can also introduce you and your family to some Chinese people too.

Miles and LeiLei

One of the big reasons I'm shying away from Phoenix is the high rate of auto thieft. As I understand it this has caused auto insurance rates to be high. Did you find this to be the case and if you're not still living in Phoenix, why did you move?

Thanks,

Edited by HaoRan (see edit history)

One of the big reasons I'm shying away from Phoenix is the high rate of auto thieft. As I understand it this has caused auto insurance rates to be high. Did you find this to be the case and if you're not still living in Phoenix, why did you move?

Thanks,

In the past there has been a high amount of auto thefts. But now, honestly it is not worse than other big cities. Most of the problem is the illegals coming to Phoenix. These days there not very many illegals around because if they are caught then they get a felony on their record. That will not let them legally back into America for anything.

I do not live there now because I moved to Shanghai to be with my wife. We will be moving back to Phoenix as soon as my wife gets a visa. I have no second thoughts about it.

Now the housing prices are incredibly low, but the job market is also weak. So you should look into that stuff too. The schools in Scottsdale are good.

I hope this help.