Where in the US to Move

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_American

Cities with large Chinese American populations include (the following is the top 15 Chinese-American populations):

Boston, Flushing, Queens, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Houston, Plano in the Dallas, Texas area, Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, Portland, San Diego, Sacramento and Las Vegas.

Unfortunately with many of those cities you'll have to deal with cost of living AND that the Chinatowns are usually in pretty bad neighborhoods. Not knocking the Chinatowns, but i've been to a few of them, they're not really in areas i would be too keen to moving to, especially Chicago. The Chinatown there is wonderful to visit, but it's also right next door to a dangerous ghetto.

Yes, if money were not such a factor, I would say Irvine would be at the top of the list. But, again, it ain't cheap there ether.

Irvine is also a "new" area in Socal. First was LA Chinatown, then Monterey Park, Rowland Heights and Irvine.

So, there are a lot of areas as Amber is saying that are much better than the old standards.

Yes, if money were not such a factor, I would say Irvine would be at the top of the list. But, again, it ain't cheap there ether.

Irvine is also a "new" area in Socal. First was LA Chinatown, then Monterey Park, Rowland Heights and Irvine.

So, there are a lot of areas as Amber is saying that are much better than the old standards.

Yeh i mean there's also things to look for like the asian ratio in a city that fits your personal needs. Like find a city that fits your family needs, cost of living, and job market. Then you can check the cultural ratios on various forums for those cities. Huntsville doesn't seem like it would have a huge asian culture but it really does. It's not Chicago, but you'd get culture along with safety of a small city feel and great job market and schools.

It pays to research outside the big cities that are just known for a large asian culture. Also those cities also have high rates of racism towards asians simply because of how many live there. The south gets such a bad name but it's sometimes worse up north.

Just do lots of research, if you do really want a BIG city with asian culture the best that i encountered is Atlanta.

Cities with large Chinese American populations include (the following is the top 15 Chinese-American populations):

Boston, Flushing, Queens, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Houston, Plano in the Dallas, Texas area, Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, Portland, San Diego, Sacramento and Las Vegas.

Unfortunately with many of those cities you'll have to deal with cost of living AND that the Chinatowns are usually in pretty bad neighborhoods. Not knocking the Chinatowns, but i've been to a few of them, they're not really in areas i would be too keen to moving to, especially Chicago. The Chinatown there is wonderful to visit, but it's also right next door to a dangerous ghetto.

I live about 13 miles from downtown Boston (Chinatown). It is not a ghetto. As a matter of fact, the former governor and presidential candidate live here. One doesn't have to live right in Chinatown to make the Chinese spouse comfortable. Just stay in an area within 50-60 miles from a Chinese community and the Chinese spouse will be happy.

I live about 13 miles from downtown Boston (Chinatown). It is not a ghetto. As a matter of fact, the former governor and presidential candidate live here. One doesn't have to live right in Chinatown to make the Chinese spouse comfortable. Just stay in an area within 50-60 miles from a Chinese community and the Chinese spouse will be happy.

I didn't say in all those cities. I haven't been out to Boston so i wouldn't know the Chinatown out there. But the one's i have been to were not in good neighborhoods.

50-60 miles is pretty far to me. That's an average of 45-an hour away. That seems like a long drive to be able to just hang out. Even within that distance still seems far. Then again i like smack dab in the middle of a sweet Chinese community. I think if living within a Chinese community is important to your spouse then just research cities. Also we don't know this person's wife so we can't make assumptions as to what would make a Chinese spouse happy. We can just offer ideas of cities.

Again to the OP just of lots of research and really talk it out with your wife about what kind of place she wants to live, and what kind of chinese community she most wants to be involved with (Like does she want ot live in it, or within a reasonable driving distance?). For my husband he's happy just to have various groups of people he can hang out with here in the city. He hasn't expressed much want to live near any Chinatowns. He thought it would be cool to visit, but not live. Each spouse is different just make sure to communicate with her about what will make her feel most comfortable and happy and go from there.

Haoran, I am in the same boat as you. We are in Florida as well and the job market (and Chinese population) seem to be almost non-existent. We are also looking at other opportunities elsewhere. I lived in China for seven years, moved back this year and it has been a real shocker that the economy has tanked the way that it has in the course of a few months. Perhaps I need to keep my bags packed for a Middle Kingdom return! :D

I'm a fan of Houston. There's places to live close to the WestSide ChinaTown.

Sugarland is GREAT if you have high-school folk in yer family/domicile. Otherwise, go east a bit...