Declaration At Customs

Hey all, time for another question.

I'm an avid fitness enthusiast. While in China I plan on doing as much working out as I can squeeze in. I know, I know ... but I will still want to hit the weights if the chance presents itself. I take a regular dose of vitamins daily. As well as some over the counter supplements like L-Arginie and Glucosimine. I am wondering if I declare these? Or should I not even bother taking them with me? I do not want issues at customs. I was planning on using a 7 day pill counter. Also what about prescriptions? Do I declare them? My SO has requested some vitamins and visine, and I have sinus issues. My thinking is if the sinus medications are unopened it should be NP?

Appaullo

Guest WenDylan

I'm an avid fitness enthusiast. While in China I plan on doing as much working out as I can squeeze in. I know, I know ... but I will still want to hit the weights if the chance presents itself. I take a regular dose of vitamins daily. As well as some over the counter supplements like L-Arginie and Glucosimine. I am wondering if I declare these? Or should I not even bother taking them with me? I do not want issues at customs. I was planning on using a 7 day pill counter. Also what about prescriptions? Do I declare them? My SO has requested some vitamins and visine, and I have sinus issues. My thinking is if the sinus medications are unopened it should be NP?

Appaullo

Announce all liquids. But no need to declare anything. I carry my refrigerated medications in a bag, and no questions were asked by anyone, except for my little strip search in Japan, on my connecting flight. :santa:

Appaullo

Not sure if you are speaking to the TSA security checks while exiting the USA or upon arrival in the PRC ?? However, never one problem, or question, or delay, at PRC customs in Guangzhou at the Baiyun airport. No need to 'declare' medicatons/vitamins etc. which are for personal use while in China; only that which is on the list on the customs form you fill out on the plane before landing. I take a small amount of perscription medicine in my carry on bag and the rest in my check in bags. As long as the quantities do not reach a level that someone might suspect resale in China for the over the counter type products, e.g. a one year supply for a two week visit, I would not worry at all.

Large containers of liquids must go in the checked luggage, and small amounts can go in carry on, if in containers of 3 oz. or less, in one, 1 qt. plastic bag. The 1-1-3 rule.

if i was you i would tell them you are holding , and demand to be strip searched by three beautiful guards,just to see there reaction ,or you could just not say any thing , if it is legal no need to worry if it isin the proper containers,

Guest WenDylan

if i was you i would tell them you are holding , and demand to be strip searched by three beautiful guards,just to see there reaction ,or you could just not say any thing , if it is legal no need to worry if it isin the proper containers,

I actually thought my little interrogation in Japan was funny, since it was two police girls doing it. I wondered... where is the police man? But I'd have to say, wherever he was, they sure were giggling a lot.

When my wife goes back to China (every year), she takes one carry-on sized rolling bag full of vitamins for her family. Seriously, it's hundreds of dollars worth. Anyway, she has never had any issue, and has never declared them. Myself, I've flown in to China many times and have never had any issues with customs on the PRC side (US side, yeah, lots of issues).

Appaullo

If taking any of it, I say declare it just in case so you aren't slapped with a fine if they do find it. As for the vitamins, unless its B12 or D (because your not getting any sunlight) they are just about useless anyways, vitamins just by themselves don't do squat with out the fiber and micro nutrients that come in plants and fruits in the first place. Just grab your self some home made Chinese food and you'll be fine.

Guest WenDylan

OK, I suppose I could probably use the break from lifting. So I'll leave the supplements and vitimins at home. What about jewelry? I will have rings, and a bracelet I bought for her. So sorry to be continually asking questions.

Appaullo

You're fine as long as your not selling these goods in large amounts. If your suitcase looks like this...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/JordanPar23/wutha/customsmarijuana.png

you might have some questions to answer. :ph34r: I brought lots of things through customs with no problem, and I declared everything. After it all, I was told I didn't need to waste their time by declaring all of my things, so I learned the next time around that small things are no big deal, when some people are actually trying to smuggle suitcases like the above through security and customs. Know what I mean?

Guest WenDylan

LOL

Point taken. By the way ... I *hope* thats not YOUR suitcase? :lol:

Appaullo

I hope not, Dylan is OCPD :D , if that suitcase is his uummmm some one is going to be very upset with him :D

OOPPPsss, sorry meant " OKCPD" :D

It is OCPD... but I'm not OCPD... I am actually MACUPD... within OCPD's jurisdiction. I'm looking to move on though, and I accepted a conditional job offer for an agency just North of OKC, not with OCPD as well, and not in OCPD jurisdiction. :D

Oh, and I don't find suitcases like this where I am, just 'little' baggies...

LOL

Point taken. By the way ... I *hope* thats not YOUR suitcase? :lol:

Appaullo

I hope not, Dylan is OCPD :D , if that suitcase is his uummmm some one is going to be very upset with him :blink:

OOPPPsss, sorry meant " OKCPD" :D

:rotfl: OCPD = Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.

Maybe a little Freudian slip about Dylan! I think a lot of us here are OCPD. :lol:

BTW, I believe that all prescription meds are supposed to be in original containers showing your name and date of prescription. I think OTC meds are supposed to be in original packaging. Unidentified pills may be confiscated and discarded.

So I wouldn't fill your pill case until after arrival. If you are selected for special screening at the airport they may chuck them. It probably doesn't happen often but I'm sure you'd be unhappy if it did.