China visa

Maybe the China Consulate is dinging yer wife cause she's a newly minted USC ? With NO PRIOR travel history TO CHINA as a USC?

I take note that SOME people applying for their first visa only got 30 days duration, single entry, but that was some time ago, many things have changed.

Yes, I extended a 30 day visa in Nanning. However, it was back in Dec/Jan 2004.

When I asked my wife where we went she translated it as "the big Police Station where they process all the papers." I know it was not any of the local sub-stations...I've been to some of them. This was a multi-story building a fairly long bus ride from what you might call downtown. I do recall leaving my passport- but, not for seven days.

One caution. I had to quickly obtain a 'residence registration' form in order to get the extension.

I had not yet received a multiple entry, or my now 'standard' 90 day visas. Unlike as suggested earlier, I was not a new traveler. I had been to China many times on a single, or double entry, visa. None of them good for more than 30 days. I didn't start getting the 90 day, multiple entry visas until after I was married.