Push and Walk the Baby Time...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

I really enjoy my walks to and from work, as I get to see a lot of interesting things along the way. Dozens of grandparents are out bright and early every morning pushing or walking young children about; playing, pointing, and laughing. It does seem quite common in China for young people to marry, and have a child pretty quickly. They buy a home in a community for which they've probably saved for years. Many of these young couples have their parents either move in, or come and stay for extended periods. Chinese children in my view seem very happy. Hard to say why that might be, but perhaps it's because they are all only children and get treated very special.

On my first trip to China, I remember wondering why there weren't accidents every minute. I mean what with people walking in front of cars, riding bicycles everywhere, carts, people carrying baskets on poles. Everyone just seems to know how to avoid everyone else; at least most of the time. Last night, my wife walked to my office to walk me home from work. On the way home, you could hear the misfire of on of those motorcycle three wheeled tractors tooling along just barely faster than we walked. We got to the street corner, and began to cross the street, we continued to hear the sound of the loud tractor behind us, when suddenly, there was a crash followed by a scraping sound.

My wife and I both turned around to see a small motorbike, being dragged under the loud motor-tractor. I was very concerned that someone might be trapped under the bike, but fortunately the father and daughter on the small motorcycle had jumped to safety. Everyone was shaken up, and the father, who was the driver of the small motorcycle began to pull the twisted bike from under the motor-tractor.

As he was doing that, my wife and I noticed his daughter duking it out with the driver of the motor-tractor. I do mean that young girl punched the crap out of her for several seconds and knocked her to the ground.

My wife then jumped right in the middle of the two of them and pulled them apart. She proceeded to give the young girl doing the punching a stern motherly talking to in Chinese. Both the ladies stopped and paid attention to her. In fact, a large crowd began to gather, and everyone was paying attention to this Chinese peace-maker.

Seems the father and daughter were having a big argument while driving the motorcycle, and the father failed to see the loud slow-moving motor-tractor and ran right into it. Thankfully, everyone ended up okay, with no serious injury.

Knock on wood, so far I have not been in an accident. I get to work and back home on rollerblade these days when it does not rain. 13.5 km each way, at rush hour in Shanghai! Bikes, cars, mopads, motor cycles, you name it travel with me. Some how I have lucky to navigate through traffic, a bit faster than bicycles, but slower than motorcycles, on my 100 mm race training roller.

Only problem is that I tried to buy life insurance and was declined coverage by all the major insurance companies. Seriously it is safer than bicycles. It is the perception that due to the shere volumn of traffice accident must happen all the time. Actually, it does not.