I-797E...AARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG...

Did you try? The SSN IS permanent and won't change after she gets a green card, or citizenship. The "Not Valid for " blah-blah-blah notation is virtually meaningless

She should be able to get a State ID, or even a driver's license once she gets her EAD, unless your state has some VERY unusual requirements.

No, I haven't tried yet. I'm just now learning that it may be necessary.

It's good to know the SSN won't change. The State ID expired on the same day as her visa. (But, she still carries the card.) We'll get it renewed after AOS.

I'm about to go to the state vehicle auction and try to get a cheap, newer car for her and our son. I thought about putting that in both of our names, but, I'm worried about liability. The likelihood of two Chinese people with absolutely no driving experience in either country making a mistake is rather high. If it's in her son's name, he is legally an adult and has no assets to be taken.

I do have a joint credit card with Li. But, she's old fashioned (an endearing aspect, IMO) and mostly refuses to use it.

http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/umbrella/a/aa110503a.htm

You need an umbrella insurance policy 1million dollar policy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These (house ownership/rental-lease documents, utility bills, car titles, insurance documents, bank accounts, etc) are basic 'VALID RELATIONSHIP' requirements and have been discussed Ad nauseam.

They are also incredibly easy to do. Quit claim or title change or whatever. Unless of course you don't trust her, and or, don't want her to own anything. After all, that's the basis of a valid relationship. Isn't it?

"My" (don't you mean our?) utility bills are also all done on line. So, they still send a paper copy, maybe not only because I asked for them. The water bill will only allow one name. So, I put the mailing address in her name. For another bill I can only put her on the address label as to me, in care of (C/O) her. My cars' titles were changed in one day with the change in my hand when I left the office. Bank accounts, hell, whatever, they are all easy to change.

Trouble is, you have to want (and then take the effort) TO DO IT!

Excuse us for having a converation that others (not us) have had before. Why did you even open this thread? :cheering:

Note you are NOT in a similar situation YET, you are at the AOS stage and have not yet receive the 2 year CR-Green-Card. You will have 2 years after getting the CR-Green-Card to take care of getting un-restricted SSN, and getting your spouse added to deeds, bills, insurances, etc...

You need to show this when you file I-751 to remove the conditions on the 2 year green-card.

Thanks for clearing up the obvious. That helps! :cheering:

• 1 month later...

Well after getting RFE'd... B) I did the quit claim thingie which cost $300+ for about 10 minutes of attorney "work"... :angry: and dug up some forms we had both signed a year ago applying for a home equity line of credit and sent in the whole schmeer on 11/24... :blink:

Well today came the shiny, new 10 year GC... :D :D :D

Hey Bob did we beat you??? If so remember our deal... :D you have to take all the abuse dumped on me for the rest of the year... :lol:

So, congrats on your 10 yrs GC! My hus and I had just began our EAD today!! What a long way to go for us!! Sharing your joy... =)

It is a long road for everyone here...And for some of our members it has been an extremely long one... :( But if you stick to your guns we all seem to muddle through somehow... :huh: :wub: with enough love... :blink:

Hey Bob did we beat you??? If so remember our deal... :huh: you have to take all the abuse dumped on me for the rest of the year... :(

Well, congradulations on that 10 yr GC roger...but don't be counting your chickens before they hatch. :blink:

I never agreed to the abuse being dumped on someone else for the rest of the year...even if its only 20 more days... :wub:

The way I see it

U R http://i33.tinypic.com/212ad1j.jpg

now where did I put my photoshop button? :lol:

Hey Bob did we beat you??? If so remember our deal... :huh: you have to take all the abuse dumped on me for the rest of the year... :lol:

Well, congradulations on that 10 yr GC roger...but don't be counting your chickens before they hatch. :blink:

I never agreed to the abuse being dumped on someone else for the rest of the year...even if its only 20 more days... :wub:

The way I see it

now where did I put my photoshop button? :D

Thanks Andrew but... :D

where did I put my TIMEOUT BUTTON? :(

Hey Bob did we beat you??? If so remember our deal... :blink: you have to take all the abuse dumped on me for the rest of the year... :lol:

Well, congradulations on that 10 yr GC roger...but don't be counting your chickens before they hatch. <_<

I never agreed to the abuse being dumped on someone else for the rest of the year...even if its only 20 more days... :blink:

The way I see it

now where did I put my photoshop button? :lol:

Thanks Andrew but... :huh:

where did I put my TIMEOUT BUTTON? :bleh:

ok.. you win! :redmad: :censor: :P

Well after getting RFE'd... :( I did the quit claim thingie which cost $300+ for about 10 minutes of attorney "work"... :ph34r: and dug up some forms we had both signed a year ago applying for a home equity line of credit and sent in the whole schmeer on 11/24... :sweating_buckets:

Hey Bob did we beat you??? If so remember our deal... :blink: you have to take all the abuse dumped on me for the rest of the year... :lol:

Congratulations, now send me your phone number so my wife can tell yours how she got her 10 year card before her. :lol:

Well after getting RFE'd... :P I did the quit claim thingie which cost $300+ for about 10 minutes of attorney "work"... :P and dug up some forms we had both signed a year ago applying for a home equity line of credit and sent in the whole schmeer on 11/24... :cold:

Congratulations, now send me your phone number so my wife can tell yours how she got her 10 year card before her. :lol:

See Lee there are basically 2 kinds of people here... :victory: Process peoples, who get all their ducks in a row and get everything right on the first day and first try... :D And then the VISION peoples... :blink: who have this vision of getting it right eventually but can't be bothered by the messy details... B)

Well after getting RFE'd... :blink: I did the quit claim thingie which cost $300+ for about 10 minutes of attorney "work"... :angry: and dug up some forms we had both signed a year ago applying for a home equity line of credit and sent in the whole schmeer on 11/24... :ph34r:

See Lee there are basically 2 kinds of people here... :D Process peoples, who get all their ducks in a row and get everything right on the first day and first try... :D And then the VISION peoples... :blink: who have this vision of getting it right eventually but can't be bothered by the messy details... B)

Oh and another thingie... :lol: Since my wife got it later it EXPIRES later... :D