Traditional Chinese wedding

Well I have been checking alot of sites out for Chinese Traditional Weddings. Trying to familiarize myself with them. Not sure how much of a traditional wedding she wants. I heard something about toasting a full glass of white wine. Doing toasts at each table at reception. And doing something like in my underwear carrying my bride around hotel yelling "I am married I am married". I am not much of a drinker am I going to get toasted at this affair.

Keep in mind if doing a K-1 the wedding must be symbolic only, not a Legal one, K-1 is for Legal marriage in the USA only.

In our case after we got K-1 we had a nice wedding reception in Guilin for friends and family.

Keep in mind if doing a K-1 the wedding must be symbolic only, not a Legal one, K-1 is for Legal marriage in the USA only.

In our case after we got K-1 we had a nice wedding reception in Guilin for friends and family.

Dan, has VJ ever reported a case where someone actually got married in their home country AFTER the visa was awarded, but before they actually used it? If so, what were the consequences? Did they run into trouble at AOS time?

Dan, has VJ ever reported a case where someone actually got married in their home country AFTER the visa was awarded, but before they actually used it? If so, what were the consequences? Did they run into trouble at AOS time?

They can run it to problems at the POE, but if not POE then at AOS, the foreign Marriage Cert conflicts with the K-1 visa.

There was an interesting case reported a while ago of a couple from the Pilippeans who ran into a big problem when they filed for naturalization.

The case when something like this Boy's parent had immigrated to USA and then filed an I-130 for an Unmarried son. Meanwhile another family had a parent immigrate to USA and in that case they filed for a visa for an unmaried daughter. A few years go by and the unmarried son meets the unmarried daughter, and they fall in love and marry, later son's visa number comes up so he LIES and goes to visa interview and gets the immigrant visa for UN-Married son and immigrates to USA, a year or so later his WIFE gets interviewed for the visa allied for by her parent and LIES and gets her visa and enters the USA as an UN-Married daughter. She then moves in with her husband. They live happily for years and decide to apply for citizenship, this is when the trouble happens, INS sees that they lied when getting their visas and had married before entry to the USA and denied citizenship on the grounds of Misrepresentation, they also had their green-cards canceled as well and faced deportation.

The Scoop here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/us/12nat...?pagewanted=all (However the headline is a bit off, in the eyes of immigrations they were NOT "perfectly legal immigrants")

Entry to the USA on a fiancee visa already married can be considered to be "Misrepresentation" claiming to be un-married when in fact NOT.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Well I have been checking alot of sites out for Chinese Traditional Weddings. Trying to familiarize myself with them. Not sure how much of a traditional wedding she wants. I heard something about toasting a full glass of white wine. Doing toasts at each table at reception. And doing something like in my underwear carrying my bride around hotel yelling "I am married I am married". I am not much of a drinker am I going to get toasted at this affair.

if you think they are toasting with white wine... and your not a drinker... You had better make sure your curiuosity doesn't get the best of you for this moment... it may be white but it usually ain't wine! B)

Tell her ahead of time and have something else available to you.

if you think they are toasting with white wine... and your not a drinker... You had better make sure your curiuosity doesn't get the best of you for this moment... it may be white but it usually ain't wine! B)

Tell her ahead of time and have something else available to you.

That is NO lie, there is some good stuff then there is the really expensive stuff that tastes like kerosene, don't smoke near it

Dude, I did one and it was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

Keep your pants on my friend; it's not neccessary to take them off. :cheering: You gotta run around a bit, but that varies per family. I had to sing a song, answer some stupid riddle by a b!tchy chick (her friend), all while I was plastered. Basically everyone wanted to drink with me...and the drinker that I am I didn't refuse. Later I found out that's what my groomsmen are for...they normally take most drink for the groom. At least that's how things were for me.

Everything was a nice hotel and we had a speaker doing introductions...cake, chapagne, all the goodies you'd expect at an American wedding.

i can tell you it's a very big deal to them and complying with her requests will be best. :cheering: The silliest thing was the cars hasd to be black with flowers all over them...a gringo driving down a chinese road in a car covered with flowers and a wreath stands out pretty well. :cheering: Not a time to be shy is my point. Good luck....

Edited by mchina34 (see edit history)

Here's an idea - let her plan it - You should blindly give her money to handle it.

When it's all done - you'll get yer money back - those red envelopes will be bountiful !

FWIW, this 'white wine' starts at 40 percent, and can get up to 180 proof. 'wine' in china usually is liquor or liquer.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)