SSN woes in the Chicago area

Illinois requires a SSN to get a driver's license. SSN office in Woodstock says that's not a good enough reason for them to give Ling one. Ling is K1 and did not get EAD on entry. We haven't married yet .

I know other people have been successful getting SSNs without EAD for their K1s. There's just a mark that says "Not Authorized For Employment" or something like that. Anyone in Chicago do this?

In the Woodstock office the woman would not even listen to me when I tried to explain my understanding of the new regulations. She just kept shaking her head and saying "No, no, no." (Training for promotion to BCIS I think).

Will it be any different in the Chicago SSA office?

It is TOUGH living in the country without a driver's license. I may have to get her a horse.

We went to the SS office in Waukegan, IL and had absolutely no problem. Just showed passport, birth certificate.....and sponsor's passport. Call ahead to make sure what you need....I've already forgotten. Received SS card the next week. Card had "Valid for work only with INS authorization" written on it. SS card allowed us to get driver's license, open up bank accounts. We went to the SS office in the first week of my husband's arrival. We were surprised that we had no problem.....but I believe it is a matter of the SS office personnel knowing the law.

Immediately after marriage we applied for Adjustment of Status and EAD. Have EAD now too. All this within 3-1/2 mos of arrival.

Good luck!

Jan

We went to the Chicago SSN office yesterday. After waiting FOUR HOURS (what, do these guys think they are the BCIS or something?) they said "no way, can't get a SSN without a work permit." Ling said "Oh yes I can" and said she did not intend to work. Also had the SSN webpage showing this is possible.

Then they said ok, you will get card in two weeks :lol:

I wonder how many peole just walk away after being told no? We did on Woodstock office because the counter lady just wouldn't listen to us. Of course they had NO wait there (probably because they just tell everyone no about everything <_<)

Anyway, now Ling can take driving lessons while she waits.

Be persistent.