Microsoft in China, Win XP,

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

As most of you know, software piracy is a serious problem in China. Millions of people here, have been using pirated versions of Windows XP for years. Today, it's all over the news here, that tonight at midnight, Monday, October 20, anyone using a pirated version of Win XP, will see their computer screen go black. Win XP will be rendered to a non-functioning piece of pirated code.

As you would expect, the Chinese people are not happy. Too expensive, most say at more than 1000 RMB for a new copy. I can't help be believe that this is a serious blunder on the part of Microsoft.

:roller:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The catch is that Microsoft can't tell which copies are pirated. If they do that, they would (and have) cut off a lot of legitimate customers

I had to call in once and have my copy re-instated after I made too many hardware changes.

If they download what is essentially a virus onto a legitimate machine, they could open themselves to lawsuits and bad publicity.

Sounds like a rumor to me, but that's probably more effective than the real thing

Guest ShaQuaNew

The catch is that Microsoft can't tell which copies are pirated. If they do that, they would (and have) cut off a lot of legitimate customers

I had to call in once and have my copy re-instated after I made too many hardware changes.

If they download what is essentially a virus onto a legitimate machine, they could open themselves to lawsuits and bad publicity.

Sounds like a rumor to me, but that's probably more effective than the real thing

You're right Randy. In years past, Microsoft has had a challenge in differentiating between valid and invalid copies of its own versions of Windows. They have spent the last several months collecting information for all Windows users here in China. That includes their IP addresses, machine names and the like. It's my understanding that they've closed virtually all the work-arounds the hackers may attempt. If you are using a machine not having a license code in the Microsoft database, then it's lights out.

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's not a rumor Randy. It's all over the news here in China today. Newpapers, television, radio, etc.

It will be interesting to see if they actually do anything. They really can't seem to tell what copies are genuine and which are not.

Not that I would ever admit, but I bought Chinese Windows XP in Nanning for 15 yuan. Brought it back to the US and loaded it on to our computer system. I dual booted it for a couple of years so my wife could have a Chinese OS.

The English Windows XP Professional was a valid copy. Microsoft Update would tell me, it was not, so I always performed an enterprise update of the OS. Funny thing was the Chinese Windows XP Professional always passed as genuine.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Interesting article with some more info:

http://www.china.org.cn/china/national/200...nt_16630207.htm

Don't the pirated copies have the "Genuine Advantage" software disabled? I thought it was impossible to get these Operating Systems updated anyway.

It may or may not happen - I think if it does it will hit more legitimate than pirated copies.

Microsoft has been allowing pirated versions to be updated. That will end tonight.

:unsure:

Don't the pirated copies have the "Genuine Advantage" software disabled? I thought it was impossible to get these Operating Systems updated anyway.

It may or may not happen - I think if it does it will hit more legitimate than pirated copies.

Sorry, I know nothing about the technical aspects of this stuff. :unsure: I just found the subject fascinating so I linked to an article I found. I'm skeptical that they can pull it off too. But like I said, I don't know anything. B) It'll sure be interesting to see how it turns out though.

Microsoft has been allowing pirated versions to be updated. That will end tonight.

:unsure:

I mean the piraters disable the automatic update, so Microsoft doesn't even get a chance to allow or deny it. Basically, they would not have downloaded the "black screen" software.

Let us know tomorrow.

:D

I mean the piraters disable the automatic update, so Microsoft doesn't even get a chance to allow or deny it. Basically, they would not have downloaded the "black screen" software.

Let us know tomorrow.

I have heard, and I have no direct experience of some versions not being the case (:D :unsure: B) :P ).... oh... forget it...

I deploy windows XP in a corporate environment and WGA has not been a problem, if the OS or Office is legitimate it will get updates, if not, then you will be stuck with no patches.

I deploy windows XP in a corporate environment and WGA has not been a problem, if the OS or Office is legitimate it will get updates, if not, then you will be stuck with no patches.

WGA IS a problem where it decides that your copy is NOT legitimate when it really IS.

AND it will FAIL (for Microsoft) everywhere that it has been disabled.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)