Microsoft in China, Win XP,

Guest ShaQuaNew

IMO, Microsoft is doing what it must. I have no sympathy to anyone using pirated products.

I want to make a pulll how many of you ever use pirate products. not even DVD?? :lol: :D :rolleyes:

be careful of your cloths. you might possible to buy LV shirt when you are not aware

Wendy, please set up your poll - thanks in advance !

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Microsoft is doing what it must. I have no sympathy to anyone using pirated products.

I want to make a pulll how many of you ever use pirate products. not even DVD?? :lol: :D :rolleyes:

be careful of your cloths. you might possible to buy LV shirt when you are not aware

Let's just say that the term, Forbidden Kingdom is quite apt... and alive and well... :rolleyes:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Wendy, it probably wouldn't be a fair poll to ask US users about pirated software use. Most US users cannot buy pirated software, as anyone that sells or buys it there would be heavily fined and / or put in jail.

For Chinese people though, these products (the pirated ones), have provided them the means of using a computer where they otherwise might not. It wouldn't make sense for a family that is scrimping every month to pay bills, to pay 1000 kwai for software, when they can buy it on the street for 5 kwai.

Things are beginning to change though, as the pirating industry is slowly being reeled in. I think the people will adjust, but it will be a hardship for them for awhile. There are a lot of internet cafes that will be affected.

Wendy, it probably wouldn't be a fair poll to ask US users about pirated software use. Most US users cannot buy pirated software, as anyone that sells or buys it there would be heavily fined and / or put in jail.

For Chinese people though, these products (the pirated ones), have provided them the means of using a computer where they otherwise might not. It wouldn't make sense for a family that is scrimping every month to pay bills, to pay 1000 kwai for software, when they can buy it on the street for 5 kwai.

Things are beginning to change though, as the pirating industry is slowly being reeled in. I think the people will adjust, but it will be a hardship for them for awhile. There are a lot of internet cafes that will be affected.

but if she were to ask any group of USCs.... she's in the right crowd :rolleyes: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Guest ShaQuaNew

but if she were to ask any group of USCs.... she's in the right crowd :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Oh come on David. No one is being hard on China here. I think many members here understand the lifestyle of the Chinese, and that it would be unfair to compare the cultures. Isn't it?

This is not an issue about just pulling the plug on Windows XP users, because they are stealing revenue from MS. It demonstrates that the Chinese government is now supporting MS in reeling in the counterfeiters. It's a tough choice, as millions have been accustomed to using the pirated software without penalty.

but if she were to ask any group of USCs.... she's in the right crowd :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Oh come on David. No one is being hard on China here. I think many members here understand the lifestyle of the Chinese, and that it would be unfair to compare the cultures. Isn't it?

This is not an issue about just pulling the plug on Windows XP users, because they are stealing revenue from MS. It demonstrates that the Chinese government is now supporting MS in reeling in the counterfeiters. It's a tough choice, as millions have been accustomed to using the pirated software without penalty.

I thought I was being hard on USCs... who are married to chinese as the link to why a USC would have used or viewed pirated software.

I think (thought) that was her angle... which I tend to believe is true; that the USCs here would be more likely than most any general USC...

And we should include most TV/movie streamer software which has shows which are pirated in a sense.. so I see this as not a bad question she posed...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

ShaQuaNew - are you saying software piracy is a lifestyle choice? and that it's part of a culture?

(sorry, couldn't resist - no need to answer me)

Guest ShaQuaNew

ShaQuaNew - are you saying software piracy is a lifestyle choice? and that it's part of a culture?

(sorry, couldn't resist - no need to answer me)

No, worries.

Actually no, I'm not saying it is a lifestyle choice, at least for the Chinese at this point in history. Its more out of necessity that most people choose it, and it's also rooted in the culture here. Think about it, you won't find software vendors anywhere on the streets in the US selling pirated software, but in China, it's common place. Does that make it right? I don't think so, but again, at the same time, it's enabled millions of poor to have what they otherwise could not afford. I for one think that is well worth the loss or revenue.

MS has been kind to these people for years; and you can be sure that Bill Gates himself has allowed the piracy to continue this long knowing full well that he was helping the poor. I'm sure that's why he's not pulling the plug entirely tonight, but rather doing his best to ween them.

Guest ShaQuaNew

My wife's XP just shut down. She had to use 2000 for us to finish chatting. No matter now, looks like it is taking effect.

It's a little soon though. Wasn't supposed to happen until 12:00AM tonight. I wonder though if they're starting early? Did she get the black screen?