Questions on Citizenship

Hi All

I have several questions that maybe some can answer. My wife is considering becoming a citizen. I think that the reason is so that she can get her parents over here for a visit.

Is there really a better chance for her parents to get a tourist visa if she is a a USC?

How long does this process take? She would like them to come next summer, but I suspect that like most immigration applications it will take months to get citizenship and then months for her parents to get a visa.

any other thoughts about this?

thanks

Hi All

I have several questions that maybe some can answer. My wife is considering becoming a citizen. I think that the reason is so that she can get her parents over here for a visit.

Is there really a better chance for her parents to get a tourist visa if she is a a USC?

How long does this process take? She would like them to come next summer, but I suspect that like most immigration applications it will take months to get citizenship and then months for her parents to get a visa.

thanks

i don't think her being a citizen will help her parents get a tourist visa, however she would be able to petition for her parents and siblings to immigrate over her, but the wait is long. in order to get the tourist visa her parents will need to show strong ties to china. good luck!

Hi All

thanks

Paul - I swear, I thought a USA tourist Visa was NOT dependent on anyone IN the USA. In fact, I thought it was solely dependent on the tourist's ability to NOT resemble a person wanting to immigrate to the USA. Strong ties TO China, IN China, money and property IN China.

But - with this type of twisted question, I have to ask - what's going on ? She want them in for a visit, or to move /sponser them for an I-130 ?

Are you US-born person? I'm having problems following your language.

Feel free to PM me about this - I can show you a model of what works to make a Chinese Citizen NOT appear (to the Interviewing Officer) to be wanting to Immigrate.

Warmest Regards..

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Yes - her parents could be here in as little as a month after they apply. There is a pinned topic somewhere about gettund a visitor's visa for relatives.

The major factor is ties to China which would ensure their return, rather than citizenship.

Come on by more often

I don't think it would have any bearing on a tourist visa. If she wanted to sponsor them to immigrate then it would take about a year, the same as a CR-1. There is no quota for parents or children under 21.

Citizenship has no baring on visitors visa application.

However:

Your wife can get a US passport, allowing visa-less travel to countries on the Visa-Waiver program (Europe, Australia, ect.) Chinese passport requires visas to travel most anywhere in the world. US Passport is good for 10 years, Chinese one is a 5 year passport, needing renewal at the nearest Chinese consulate.

Here is a list I found:

1. A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  4. Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.
  5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.
  9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

Yes - her parents could be here in as little as a month after they apply...

I don't think it would have any bearing on a tourist visa...
Citizenship has no baring on visitors visa application.

Well, if that don't beat all.

I agree the parents could be here in as little as a month "after" they apply. IF they ever got approved. It's the applying, and approval, Paul is asking about. Carl and Dan both answered that- Having his wife get Citizenship solely for the purpose of allegedly making it more "sure-proof" that her parents would get a Tourist Visa probably wouldn't help her parents get a tourist visa, at all.

That is the wrong reason, of all them, to get Citizenship.

Well, if that don't beat all.

I agree the parents could be here in as little as a month "after" they apply. IF they ever got approved. It's the applying, and approval, Paul is asking about. Carl and Dan both answered that- Having his wife get Citizenship solely for the purpose of allegedly making it more "sure-proof" that her parents would get a Tourist Visa probably wouldn't help her parents get a tourist visa, at all.

That is the wrong reason, of all them, to get Citizenship.

the pinned topic

It usually doesn't take but a few days to get the paper together

and, yes, the odds are low - somewhere well below 50%

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I think it would cause more problems with parents getting a visitor visa. This would cause the VO at their interview to see an increased possibility for an intent to immigrate. They would then need to show even stronger ties to China.

She could after getting her citizenship apply for her parents to immigrate here. For parents of a USC there is no waiting list. They are treated like spouses. Brothers and sisters have a longer wait of around seven years.

I think it would cause more problems with parents getting a visitor visa. This would cause the VO at their interview to see an increased possibility for an intent to immigrate. They would then need to show even stronger ties to China.

She could after getting her citizenship apply for her parents to immigrate here. For parents of a USC there is no waiting list. They are treated like spouses. Brothers and sisters have a longer wait of around seven years.

Correct, parents could enter the country on visitor's visa then daughter if at that time is a USC could simply file I-130/I-485 for parents to adjust status.

I think the problem is

Her parents have no assets and essentially no income (rent from Jenny's home in China provides most of their income)

The odds to her seem almost nil that they could get a tourist visa.

If she is a USC is it more or less likely that she could get her parents over for a visit.

Her parents are pretty adament that they do not want to live here, so it is not about getting an I130.

I think the problem is

Her parents have no assets and essentially no income (rent from Jenny's home in China provides most of their income)

If she is a USC is it more or less likely that she could get her parents over for a visit.

Her parents are pretty adament that they do not want to live here, so it is not about getting an I130.

No - it's not LPR vs citizenship here, it's whether they have the ties to China that would ensure their return.

That being said, it only costs $100 (fee increase?) and a trip to the consulate to try.

Darnell - a tourist visa to an individual from China is almost impossible. However, visas to visit relatives are frequently ((although at a low percentage) awarded. Check out the pinned topic.

I think the problem is

No - it's not LPR vs citizenship here, it's whether they have the ties to China that would ensure their return.

That being said, it only costs $100 (fee increase?) and a trip to the consulate to try.

Darnell - a tourist visa to an individual from China is almost impossible. However, visas to visit relatives are frequently ((although at a low percentage) awarded. Check out the pinned topic.

Fee is $131 or the equivalent in RMB.

Mike made a very valid point. Citizenship may hurt more than help since she could file an I-485 for them once they are here if she were a citizen. I would concentrate on ties to China. Family, grand children, home, groups they belong to. If their primary income is rent from her home that would also show they need to go back to China to take care of it.