China/US relations take a hit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

All of it will be part of the People's Navy soon enough.

:lol: True enough.

:P :lol: :huh: :D :threeques:

What's that mean?

It's called humor Jesse. You should try it sometime. ;)

It's okay Dave. I have a great sense of humor, and it's working just fine; active, fun, and an excellent participant.

I was grappling with the wording though, as it was unclear as to how Taiwan would somehow soon be a part of the "Peoples Navy." What is the peoples navy? I'm still not clear as to what the phrase means, so I can't find the humor in it. What I got from it though, is that it seemed to be a flippant comment about a serious issue. Sometimes doing that can help ease tension, but in my view, it seemed inappropriate. I don't think the people of Taiwan would find it funny.

:P B) :P ;) :threeques:

What's that mean?

It's okay Dave. I have a great sense of humor, and it's working just fine; active, fun, and an excellent participant.

I was grappling with the wording though, as it was unclear as to how Taiwan would somehow soon be a part of the "Peoples Navy." What is the peoples navy? I'm still not clear as to what the phrase means, so I can't find the humor in it. What I got from it though, is that it seemed to be a flippant comment about a serious issue. Sometimes doing that can help ease tension, but in my view, it seemed inappropriate. I don't think the people of Taiwan would find it funny.

Seriously...take yourself a little MORE seriously Jesse. :sosad:

Relations between China and Taiwan have recently improved. Last summer, commercial air flights began service between Taiwan and the mainland. A Chinese tourism industry has sprung up. Most recently, Taiwan universities have been allowed to accept mainland Chinese students.

However, while President Ma Ying-jeou fights the 'old guard' DPP every step of the way toward bolstering his nation's economy through improved diplomacy with Beijing. His approval rating with the people has been badly damaged by what is viewed as inadequate disaster relief in the wake of July's typhoons. He has also been criticized recently for his handling of the Chinese milk powder debacle.

Add to that America's interference and George Bush's saber-rattling. "<America will> do what it takes to help Taiwan defend herself, and the Chinese must understand that." (G.W. Bush)

The progress that has been achieved in the last year could easy crumble quickly.

:P B) :P ;) :threeques:

What's that mean?

They better start getting a sense of humor pretty quickly then. Taiwan is part of PRC so says PRC and so says USA and most of the world. ;) It's funny that there are enough bone-heads on Taiwan to think that they can thumb their nose at PRC even crazy funny to think that the USA will go to war for them. :sosad:

So once that reunification happens... and it will happen... all those cool toys will go into the People's Navy and People's Liberation Army and Air Force. Get it?

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Relations between China and Taiwan have recently improved. Last summer, commercial air flights began service between Taiwan and the mainland. A Chinese tourism industry has sprung up. Most recently, Taiwan universities have been allowed to accept mainland Chinese students.

However, while President Ma Ying-jeou fights the 'old guard' DPP every step of the way toward bolstering his nation's economy through improved diplomacy with Beijing. His approval rating with the people has been badly damaged by what is viewed as inadequate disaster relief in the wake of July's typhoons. He has also been criticized recently for his handling of the Chinese milk powder debacle.

Ma Ying-jeou has his work cut out for him. The people of Taiwan naturally have a very bad taste in their mouth with him coming into office right on the heels of serious corruption.

Yes, there are flights from mainland China to Taiwan, but the tickets are limited, booked well in advance, and VERY expensive. Still, it's a huge leap in improving the relations between the island and the mainland.

I've said it before. It's virtually unanimous among mainland Chinese that Taiwan, Tibet and Mongolia are all part of mother China. This belief is as strong as us Americans believing Texas is now and forever a part of the USA. :dunno:

On the other hand, I have noticed what was once as fervent a feeling that Taiwan is and should forever be independent of mainland China is becoming a softened stance by many Taiwan friends. I don't think Taiwanese look down their noses at mainlanders as many in that nation used to do not so long ago.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I've said it before. It's virtually unanimous among mainland Chinese that Taiwan, Tibet and Mongolia are all part of mother China. This belief is as strong as us Americans believing Texas is now and forever a part of the USA. :dunno:

On the other hand, I have noticed what was once as fervent a feeling that Taiwan is and should forever be independent of mainland China is becoming a softened stance by many Taiwan friends. I don't think Taiwanese look down their noses at mainlanders as many in that nation used to do not so long ago.

You're right Dennis. I don't think China want's to play evil regime and takeover Taiwan by force, and move in to change everything. They handled the situation with Hong Kong extremely well, as it continues with its own government and borders.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Beside what is said about Bush rattling swords here, I think why now is why anytime Dave. It boils down to them having enough good weapons to make China stand-off hopefully. If a dumb temptation goes bad and a skirmish breaks out we don't have to decide whether to send ships in or not, if they can handle it, or until we get there.

I recall not so long ago a heck of a lot of our NAVY was over there. China threatened by rattling their swords with a lot of their NAVY exercising near by.

Yes it is a game, just like the old USSR and the USA's ships scraping sides during the cold war. Countries TEST to see what you will do if they send a sole bomber near by or barely into ones airspace. If nothing then maybe they get bolder.

Top this off with a massive build up of modern weapons in China. If I had not seen some of this stuff with my own eyes I would not have believed it. Some of it Korean era stuff being upgraded? Yeah. But I realized what they had they could use to take over everything in that part of the globe. China is working on weapons as good as ours too.

We can all talk peace all day long. But until the BULLY sees you have a bigger stick he may not talk at all. He may simply say peace peace all we want is peace then take over your country.

Not saying you guys have done this, but I do get so tired of the criticism of the USA by USCs without ever mentioning how bad the bully in the other country is. At one time China was being ruled with an iron fist in communism or a dictatorship and Taiwan was trying to be free. So we have ties to that. A little hard to give up those ties I guess. I get irritated too at some of my conservative friends who still suspect the PRC. But maybe that really is a good thing. Peace through strength.

OK, now you can attack me, if you even bothered to read this far :dunno: :blink:

I gotta an all night drive ahead of me.

OK, now you can attack me, if you even bothered to read this far :P :D

Nah, no attack from me, you're right. There are two sides to every story.

I guess I get a lot more irritated with American policy & diplomacy blunders because I'm more directly affected by it.

Certainly, China also has its share of warts. But, I am admittedly not a scholar of Sino politics.

Drive safe! :)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Beside what is said about Bush rattling swords here, I think why now is why anytime Dave. It boils down to them having enough good weapons to make China stand-off hopefully. If a dumb temptation goes bad and a skirmish breaks out we don't have to decide whether to send ships in or not, if they can handle it, or until we get there.

I recall not so long ago a heck of a lot of our NAVY was over there. China threatened by rattling their swords with a lot of their NAVY exercising near by.

Yes it is a game, just like the old USSR and the USA's ships scraping sides during the cold war. Countries TEST to see what you will do if they send a sole bomber near by or barely into ones airspace. If nothing then maybe they get bolder.

Top this off with a massive build up of modern weapons in China. If I had not seen some of this stuff with my own eyes I would not have believed it. Some of it Korean era stuff being upgraded? Yeah. But I realized what they had they could use to take over everything in that part of the globe. China is working on weapons as good as ours too.

We can all talk peace all day long. But until the BULLY sees you have a bigger stick he may not talk at all. He may simply say peace peace all we want is peace then take over your country.

Not saying you guys have done this, but I do get so tired of the criticism of the USA by USCs without ever mentioning how bad the bully in the other country is. At one time China was being ruled with an iron fist in communism or a dictatorship and Taiwan was trying to be free. So we have ties to that. A little hard to give up those ties I guess. I get irritated too at some of my conservative friends who still suspect the PRC. But maybe that really is a good thing. Peace through strength.

OK, now you can attack me, if you even bothered to read this far :P :)

Pretty well said actually. I don't think it's so much the conservatives that are bothered by the PRC. It's the other guys. Or is it its? It's? ITS

OK, now you can attack me, if you even bothered to read this far :P :)

No attack warranted Dougie. :D I agree with you that the PRC has had it's time being the bully on the block and is no innocent babe when it comes to how it handles some of it's affairs. And I understand the whole deterrence thing.

I just don't see the need for the sabre rattling given the current global political climate and upcoming election here at home. The timing seems stange and the potential provocation seems needless.