"Real" Food in SoCal

Hi guys, gals, and anyone else here!

My biggest fear, when xiaomin gets here is this... After a few days, she's going to look down at the dinner I've prepared for her and say "Honey, I'm sorry, but I just can't eat this stuff any more!" (stuff???) and I'm not going to know what to do! Yeah, I know we'll work it out, we have no problem working out all of our "adjustments," which leads me to "future planning..." Where, in Orange County, California, can we shop to buy "real" Chinese food? I love "La Choy" out of a can from Albertsons or Vons but, by the way xiaomin twisted her face up when I told her this, I'm assuming that isn't going to "cut it!"

Help? Any of you SoCalO'nians... (Please don't tell me I have to go to "Little China" in L.A.... 1) I don't know where it is, and 2) By the time I got back, the Bamboo Shoots would be trees!)

You are not building up a good image for me here are you? Didn't i tell you that i would try to keep an open mind, and i DID have tasted western food before? I even said i would cook, ... Chinese!

Don't you worry Honey.

Edited by Jerry & xiaomin (see edit history)

My biggest fear, when xiaomin gets here is this... After a few days, she's going to look down at the dinner I've prepared for her and say "Honey, I'm sorry, but I just can't eat this stuff any more!" (stuff???) and I'm not going to know what to do! Yeah, I know we'll work it out, we have no problem working out all of our "adjustments," which leads me to "future planning..." Where, in Orange County, California, can we shop to buy "real" Chinese food? I love "La Choy" out of a can from Albertsons or Vons but, by the way xiaomin twisted her face up when I told her this, I'm assuming that isn't going to "cut it!"

Help? Any of you SoCalO'nians... (Please don't tell me I have to go to "Little China" in L.A.... 1) I don't know where it is, and 2) By the time I got back, the Bamboo Shoots would be trees!)

Now I will read your post without the bold and ugly font. :blink:

You're in for a mop slap with La Choy, but if you're in LA, visit Chinatown for novelty, and then venture to Monterey Park and San Gabriel Valley area for food and goods.

We have a great grocery store here called Super H that specializes in Asian food. They were supposed to open a store under the H Mart name in Irvine. Don't know if that's close to you or if they even ended up opening there. If so, it's definately worth checking out.

Edit:

I guess it just opened last weekend. Here's a link to some reviews and includes an address.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/h-mart-irvine

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Hey Jerry,

I would bet money that if you open a can of La Choy for Xiaomin she'll think you're serving her dog food! :unsure: save yourself a :P and don't even go there :ph34r:

99 Ranch Market is the place to go as other's have already mentioned. There are two in Irvine, if memory serves me correctly there's one on Harbor Blvd. south of the 5 (I've been in this one and when I walked in for the first time I felt like I was in China) and another south of the 5 before the 5 and 405 merge, I don't know what street it's on, I've only seen it from the freeway and I haven't been in that one either, it's probably within 15 minutes from where you are.

Westminster, as Smitty mentioned, is a good area to check out as well as Montery Park/Alhambra/San Gabriel area that has a large asian community as well.

Good luck,

Bob

We have a great grocery store here called Super H that specializes in Asian food. They were supposed to open a store under the H Mart name in Irvine. Don't know if that's close to you or if they even ended up opening there. If so, it's definately worth checking out.

Edit:

I guess it just opened last weekend. Here's a link to some reviews and includes an address.

Sounds like the one here in Houston that Jiaying likes and has drawn mention in toppy's column.

Edit:

Sounds like the one here in Houston that Jiaying likes and has drawn mention in toppy's column.

Yeah, they've got quite a few around the country under the H brand. Christine loves that she can get all kinds of spices and sauces and oils that she's used to having in China. And their fruits,veggies and seafood are fresh, at least according to her.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

And as a note, I didn't mention the fine places in San Gabriel, as that is out of the designated area! Otherwise, you couldn't go wrong with Monterey Park, and Alhambra.

If you are in Alhambra, just take the 110 South/West, and then take the Hill exit, and that just about dumps you into Chinatown.

As a note for future reference, if you are NOT familiar with the freeway interchanges, particularly the 101, 10, and the 110, you are better off taking surface streets. Unless CalTrans has changed those 100 foot on ramp/off ramps to something a bit less dramatic. Even with my police Mustang, some of those interchanges were real white knucklers!

And as a note, I didn't mention the fine places in San Gabriel, as that is out of the designated area! Otherwise, you couldn't go wrong with Monterey Park, and Alhambra.

If you are in Alhambra, just take the 110 South/West, and then take the Hill exit, and that just about dumps you into Chinatown.

As a note for future reference, if you are NOT familiar with the freeway interchanges, particularly the 101, 10, and the 110, you are better off taking surface streets. Unless CalTrans has changed those 100 foot on ramp/off ramps to something a bit less dramatic. Even with my police Mustang, some of those interchanges were real white knucklers!

Well, if you do land in our hood (Alhambra, MoPARk...) give us some warning. So that my wife and I (and, I am sure some CFL friends) can be sure to give you both a warm greeting. :surprise:

Jerry -

mmmmm i gots lots of positive results when using The Google over at www.google.com

use this search phrase:

'asian market orange county'

then spend a few weeks mapping it all out from your house using

http://maps.yahoo.com

Finally, get your camera ready and take a 2 day trip to all of the asian markets in your area. Shoot as much as possible, make electronic diary, post it on http://picasaweb.google.com and send the photo links to yer lass.

Good Luck !

Hey Smitty,

Yes, I intentionally noted the areas outside the designated O.C. because I knew they were close enough and worth the drive up there. It will give Jerry a chance to show off his knowledge of the asian community to his sweetheart when she gets here ... talk about brownie points! :lol:

Hey, I know those freeways very well ... :D :D :D ... those on/off ramps are the ones where you get to hone your Chinese driving skills, :rolleyes: step on the gas, close your eyes and merge, they won't hit you :roller:

Try it some time and let me know how it works :P

Bob

I'm not sure it hasn't changed in the last fifteen years, but isn't Westminster the asian heart of Orange County?

Can't remember the last time I was in Westminster, but you might be right, because as I recall, when I lived in Anaheim, I remember seeing bumper stickers that read "Will the last American leaving Westminster, please bring the flag?" Or was that Garden Grove? LOL (No offense to and of our Asian members)

I'll have to run up there, and check it out - Thanks :-)

Edited by Jerry & xiaomin (see edit history)