Engagement Ring??

Greetings to all ......

I'm grappling with the question as to send my fiancee's engagement ring to her in Nanning. Is this something the interviewer in GZ may take notice of? I have apprehensions about sending an expensive piece of jewelry thru the mail. Also, I'd kinda like to give it to her personally. Although it would be nice if she had it to wear before we marry.

Any thoughts?

With each passing minute our love ones come closer to us :ph34r:

Thanks

Edited by inquiet (see edit history)

This is something I hand carried to my wife (fiancee at the time) when she was in Nanning. You can ship it, but you should insure it and China customs will levy her with a gift tax.

Will this make a difference? The VO looks at many, many things. This would be like icing on the cake so to speak. I doubt it would carry a lot of weight since many couples in China don't wear engagement or wedding rings. Many Vo's know and understand local cutoms.

Greetings to all ......

I'm grappling with the question as to send my fiancee's engagement ring to her in Nanning. Is this something the interviewer in GZ may take notice of? I have apprehensions about sending an expensive piece of jewelry thru the mail. Also, I'd kinda like to give it to her personally. Although it would be nice if she had it to wear before we marry.

Any thoughts?

With each passing minute our love ones come closer to us :ph34r:

Thanks

Just make sure it's insured. I'm not sure of the tax the second poster is speaking of, but it may be true. I sent some jewlery once (not nearly as expensive as an engagement ring, though) and there wasn't any tax or anything different than sending a document. I used fedex.

good luck! :lol:

I opine that the VO's could give a hoot less about a ring, or absence, or size, or quality there of. A ring seems almost totally irrelevant vis-a-vis "a valid relationship."

"They" used to post on here that anybody can get a ring from a Cracker Jack Box. Pay attention to the things listed in the FAQ's.

And, yes, this kind of ring (in a valid relationship) needs to be proffered in person, on bended knee, not sent in the mail like a postcard.

Just make sure it's insured. I'm not sure of the tax the second poster is speaking of, but it may be true. good luck! :happydance:

I am refering to the gift tax that can be assessed by the China Customs Agency.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...ml?gtmcc=us#D03

It is generally not assessed on items that have a value of $4oo or less, but if value exceeds $1000, the Chinese receipient can find themselves paying a gift tax.

All items being sent through the mail or shipped are subject to customs duty tax. These taxes vary depending on the country of origin and destination. Usually between US and China you find that even though Customs laws state that all items being shipped are subject to duty tax, they usually seem to extend the same $400 exemption you get when hand carrying it on an airplane. The official stance is that their is no exemption for shipped items, but both countries seem to extend this for items sent between our countries.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I opine that the VO's could give a hoot less about a ring, or absence, or size, or quality there of. A ring seems almost totally irrelevant vis-a-vis "a valid relationship."

"They" used to post on here that anybody can get a ring from a Cracker Jack Box. Pay attention to the things listed in the FAQ's.

And, yes, this kind of ring (in a valid relationship) needs to be proffered in person, on bended knee, not sent in the mail like a postcard.

I agree, xiaomin will never forget that I flew half way around the world, got down on one knee, recited a little speech (without messing it up!) slipped a tangible ring on her finger, and asked her to marry me. Impressing the VO was the last thing on my mind. Insuring that xiaomin will never forget that moment was paramount to everything.

No, Honey, i will never forget that sweet moment! A moment i will cherish in my memory till the day i die.

Thank you my Sweet Love

xiaomin

Edited by Jerry & xiaomin (see edit history)

Just make sure it's insured. I'm not sure of the tax the second poster is speaking of, but it may be true. good luck! :D

I am refering to the gift tax that can be assessed by the China Customs Agency.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/...ml?gtmcc=us#D03

It is generally not assessed on items that have a value of $4oo or less, but if value exceeds $1000, the Chinese receipient can find themselves paying a gift tax.

All items being sent through the mail or shipped are subject to customs duty tax. These taxes vary depending on the country of origin and destination. Usually between US and China you find that even though Customs laws state that all items being shipped are subject to duty tax, they usually seem to extend the same $400 exemption you get when hand carrying it on an airplane. The official stance is that their is no exemption for shipped items, but both countries seem to extend this for items sent between our countries.

I only sent some earrings, so that must be why.

If the guy could make it in person, it's obvious he would do so. I think it has a small chance of helping (maybe VO looks for it, but doens't ask), so I'd mail it to her.