Do you want success ?

Guest jin979

jin - i dunno - there's been much argument about it since i joined in december. i have one stance on it that works for me and my wife, so i guess at this point i'm not interested in any one else's 'airing of their opinion' about it. The arguments were heated on this portal, and at this point, I don't want to step into another argument with any CFL members about this topic.

I know - how about this? I stay OUT of this thread completely, thinking that your view mostly mirrors mine..

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

You want to talk the Vinegar tasters... Èý´×Æ·³¢Ê¦ or just life? :D

maybe you should share an idiom or expression which is not easily understood... or a historical story otherwise unknown.

I'll share one:

Once there once a famous assassin from the warring states period (time of Lao Zi and Confucius) named Jing Ke (¾£éð), who is a household name in chinese history because of his fatal heroic attempt to stop the Qin conquest of every neighboring state... As the story goes, the territory of Yan announced it's willingness to cede many cities in exchange for peace... but sent their greatest assissin as the peace-keeper.

The trip to Qin territory is almost as famous as the final fatal failed blow.

Upon reaching the Yi River, a farewell banquet gave rise to a chant which later was penned an electric poem of the event....

A few idioms origin from this moment of truth, which many saw as a suicide mission: "Once gone, never returns"... is an obvious one... as well as, "Indignation makes hair prop up the cap" (the emotional moment is said to have made his hair stand on end and push up his cap).

At the meeting with Qin, the formalities were exchanged and no bad blood seemed evident.... UNTIL !!

Jing Ke swiftly pulled a knife from under the map he brought... his blood penned the idiom, "A dagger shows up at map's end".

Jing Ke's journey to Qin is ladened with emotional expection of someone sacrificing one's life for justice... it is a hallmark story of willing to die for what is right. (there is a poem of the Yi River event attributed to Jing Ke which I could post if wanted).

BTW: In case your thinking... this is a great story which should be made as a movie... Chinese director Zhang YiMou borrowed the story and had Jet Li star in the movie "Hero".... a must watch movie...

Yes

good :o

Thank You

And welcome to CFL. I'm the :lol: one........I think :D

I'll have to look around to see if you introduced yourself to us.

That's Jin, of Rob and Jin fame!

And since we don't have a place to introduce ones self....