No meat product allowed when crossing US border

We changed plane in Toronto. We were supposed to take out our luggages and drag them through US custom at Toronto airport (powerful US government :P ), then check them back in.

Our luggages were delayed, so we passed the custom without them, and they arrived a day after we arrive at NYC handled by the airline.

I was surprised that all packages of delicious Sichuan beef jerky were missing. In their place was a note showing that the luggage piece was opened for inspection and there were "prohibited meat". ;) A friend told me that I should be expecting a huge fine of several hundard dollars. B) :blink:

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

When Lisa came to the US, we travelled together. A Japanese student was in front of us. We were all selected to have a random inspection. The Japanese student had some kind of food that was prohibited. The inspector ask her if she had any meat or food product. She told him no. Once he found it, she tried to act like she didn't understand enough English to understand the question. He called his supervisor, explain to him what he found, and told him he was fairly certain she understood the question and wanted to fine her 100 dollars. We didn't stick around to find out if the fine was issued or not, but yes 1 or 2 hundred is not an unusual fine.

I doubt you will see this fine though, because from what I witnessed, they always ask the question and give you a chance to say yes, you have something like that. This gives you a chance to throw it away before a fine is levied. It is only after you answered no, they inspect the luggage and find the contraband that they will issue you a fine. Since you didn't get that opportunity, my guess is they will just throw it away.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

We changed plane in Toronto. We were supposed to take out our luggages and drag them through US custom at Toronto airport (powerful US government :P ), then check them back in.

Our luggages were delayed, so we passed the custom without them, and they arrived a day after we arrive at NYC handled by the airline.

I was surprised that all packages of delicious Sichuan beef jerky were missing. In their place was a note showing that the luggage piece was opened for inspection and there were "prohibited meat". :( A friend told me that I should be expecting a huge fine of several hundard dollars. ;) :lol:

Joanne, jerky is dried meat. I doubt it can contain any harmful organisms. Let's hope you won't hear anything else from them. :)

Yep, I know what you mean any time I travel into and out of Canada, I avoid bringing any produce or unprepared groceries.

I have to hold back my Yu from buying food that we wont use in Canada when visiting Toronto China Town.

Yup! I had all of the meat products I tried to bring in from Chengdu confiscated last summer. No fine though.

Next time you might try sending them China Post.

Good idea, not often does the post office inspect the contents of a package.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation...stockandPoultry

"Meats, Livestock, and Poultry

The regulations governing meat and meat products are very strict. You may not import fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries into the United States. Also, you may not import food products that have been prepared with meat. "

There is a very good reason for not bringing in meat from china. As a country with foot and mouth disease the chances of bringing this to the UnitedStates is too great. You would be talking billions of Dollars loss to the livestock industry.

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/animals/diseases/footmouth.htm

Salami and other meats from FMD-affected countries could harbor the virus, so anyone coming to America from those countries must not bring meat products from those countries into the United States If those products were fed to animals, they could spread the virus to United States livestock;

Yup! I had all of the meat products I tried to bring in from Chengdu confiscated last summer. No fine though.

Next time you might try sending them China Post.

Good idea, not often does the post office inspect the contents of a package.

Yep,

They use cute little beagles! Same type that nailed my wife with a Chinese orange that she brought along for a snack and forgot about, about two years past. They threatened her with a fine,and she feigned ignoranace of English language and beat the fine. However, not without a stern warning.

Regard to Post Office they do the checks at the Air Mail Facility for the respective Postal Distribution Center point. The dogs will be used at Processing Centers and Offices when they are requested and usually for drugs; not food!

I wouldn't want to take the chance. Take this from a former Supervisor of Distribution Operations Manager in Portland, OR

Guest WenDylan

That happened to my mother going into Mexico. You just know these border patrol agents get some real gourmet meals! :eyebrow:

Do you think those border patrol agents bring their own water?