Chinese Space Mission...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

For most US citizens, this may not seem like much, as the US was doing it in the 1960s. Still, it's a pretty big deal here.

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A Chinese Shenzhou-7 spaceship was scheduled to lift off Thursday evening on the nation's third manned space mission, one that includes China's first space walk.

The three-day mission will include China's first space walk if all goes according to plan.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/09/...pace/index.html

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest WenDylan

We've had plenty of disasters in our space program as well, historically and even present day. Let's hope they have learned from our mistakes, and took extra care in building their equipment.

Guest ShaQuaNew

We've had plenty of disasters in our space program as well, historically and even present day. Let's hope they have learned from our mistakes, and took extra care in building their equipment.

So far it looks like most everything is going to plan; well, excluding the fact that they accidentally released the news of a successful launch, before the launch even happened....

:lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,428262,00.html

Quite interesting that they launch from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northern China's Inner Mongolia.

With such a northern latitude it requires quite a thrust to launch.

I wonder if they have plans to move launches to a more southern equatorial latitude, as most western nations do (to use earth centrifugal force) some day.

God's speed to China's space program and her astronauts!

Guest ShaQuaNew

It'll really be something to see the video of their spacewalk. Jesse, any sense of whether ordinary folks are gonna be glued to their (or the corner store's) TVs for this like we were in '69?

I guess after watching the success of the US space program, it seems that many aren't quite interested in the mission. I've asked around a bit at the office, and while most are aware of the mission, there doesn't seem to be too much excitement.

A few days ago, a program was broadcast here in China that could be likened to the movie "The Right Stuff." Remember that one, where several US test pilots were in the running to become the first Astronauts? Then, I guess they whittled it down to the final 7, with Carpenter being the first American in space, followed by John Glen being the first to orbit.

The Chinese program started with over 1,500 possible "taikonauts". After weeks of testing, in much the same fashion as the US tested theirs, they whittled their list down to three (3). Eventually, Lt. Col Yang Liwei, was the first one to make the sub-orbital flight that landed in inner Mongolia. My wife tells me he's a huge hero in China, and everyone was watching when he made his trip. China plans a manned trip to the moon in the next several years. Most say they will make it there before the US is able to get back there. I'm guessing if they are successful, there will likely be a lot more people paying attention.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Actually, Alan Shepherd was the first American in space. Followed by Gus Grissom, the poor guy didn't have any luck, almost drowned when his Liberty Bell 7 capsule landed in the ocean and then perished in a fire in Apollo 1.

That's right! :lol:

I got the two names mixed up. Both Alan Shepherd and Gus Grissom made sub-orbital flights. John Glen was the first to actually orbit. Sad what happened to Gus Grissom, along with White and Chaffee; deadly fire on the launch pad that nearly ended the Apollo program.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I heard a lot of commotion at my office yesterday afternoon. People were jumping up from their seats and running to somewhere. After a minute or two I decided to go investigate.

There was a large group of people huddled around two of the TV sets in one of our break rooms. They were all watching the live broadcast as the Chinese Astronauts opened the hatch in preparation of their space walk. Pretty cool to see how excited and proud they were.

I heard a lot of commotion at my office yesterday afternoon. People were jumping up from their seats and running to somewhere. After a minute or two I decided to go investigate.

There was a large group of people huddled around two of the TV sets in one of our break rooms. They were all watching the live broadcast as the Chinese Astronauts opened the hatch in preparation of their space walk. Pretty cool to see how excited and proud they were.

I bet that was pretty cool to see Jesse. :lol:

Should China really be spending huge sums in this way with so many other pressing needs??? :P

For every dollar that the US put into the space program, we got an over 10 fold return on the investment. Plus, I defy anyone to find any aspect of modern life that is not affected by the tecnology and reserch involved with our exploration of space.

Congratulations to China as she makes another step into the extraterrestrial community.