Chinese dairy knew milk fault weeks before recall

In the US the tainted milk scandal would mean millions of dollars for...

lawyers... :huh:

In China it is being handled as a political issue, not a legal one. Parents of the affected infants are being given free medical care for their children...not a windfall to punish the companies responsible. Who's system is best??? :unsure:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0923/p01s01-woap.html

As the article points out, the free medical care is a matter of relativity. Some don't seem to be getting the same level of care as others. And how long will it last? Only as long as it's getting publicity? What about long-term effects on the kids? Will the public/gov't remember in five years if/when these kids start having delayed health problems related to this stuff?

Where's the deterrent for the next company to not cut corners by using toxic materials in food products? Our overly-litigious system might not be perfect, but at least it may make corporations/ceos/inspectors think twice about trying to cut that corner.

Okay Dave votes to allow ambulance-chasers... :o oops I meant attorneys...the ability to make millions of dollars while destroying companies and our economy... :rolleyes:

Anybody else want to bat??? :ph34r:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone wants the best for the children...But does buying an attorney a weekend flat in London help???

I would give these kids the best care possible for any conditions that may arise for their lifetimes that were a result of this milk...

For those DIRECTLY responsible for the contamination I would give them each ONE BULLET... :rolleyes:

For those who knew and did nothing I would give many years in stir to consider their error... :unsure:

In China it is being handled as a political issue, not a legal one. Parents of the affected infants are being given free medical care for their children...not a windfall to punish the companies responsible. Who's system is best??? :unsure:

As the article points out, the free medical care is a matter of relativity. Some don't seem to be getting the same level of care as others. And how long will it last? Only as long as it's getting publicity? What about long-term effects on the kids? Will the public/gov't remember in five years if/when these kids start having delayed health problems related to this stuff?

Where's the deterrent for the next company to not cut corners by using toxic materials in food products? Our overly-litigious system might not be perfect, but at least it may make corporations/ceos/inspectors think twice about trying to cut that corner.

Okay Dave votes to allow ambulance-chasers... :o oops I meant attorneys...the ability to make millions of dollars while destroying companies and our economy... :rolleyes:

Now Unca Rogie... I did use words like "may" and "might" for a reason. ;) I purposely left open the possibility that our system could/should be tinkered with. Hence the "not perfect" allusion.

But my larger point was that without the possibility of or at least the threat of monetary penalties for the actions of corporations,their leaders or those charged with overseeing them, there's very little incentive to act in a responsible way. To a much greater degree than China, we at least have that here. Now there may be good arguments on boths sides as to how far the monetary penalties should go.

But as far as I understand the system in China anyway, those threats and incentives are practically non-existent no?

lawyers... :o

Okay Dave votes to allow ambulance-chasers... ;) oops I meant attorneys...the ability to make millions of dollars while destroying companies and our economy... :rolleyes:

Now Unca Rogie... I did use words like "may" and "might" for a reason. ;) I purposely left open the possibility that our system could/should be tinkered with. Hence the "not perfect" allusion.

But my larger point was that without the possibility of or at least the threat of monetary penalties for the actions of corporations,their leaders or those charged with overseeing them, there's very little incentive to act in a responsible way. To a much greater degree than China, we at least have that here. Now there may be good arguments on boths sides as to how far the monetary penalties should go.

But as far as I understand the system in China anyway, those threats and incentives are practically non-existent no?

Dave, did you read my last post above???

Threats and incetives??? Staying alive I would say... :huh:

In China it is being handled as a political issue, not a legal one. Parents of the affected infants are being given free medical care for their children...not a windfall to punish the companies responsible. Who's system is best??? :D

Okay Dave votes to allow ambulance-chasers... :o oops I meant attorneys...the ability to make millions of dollars while destroying companies and our economy... :)

Anybody else want to bat??? :D

Dave, did you read my last post above???

Threats and incetives??? Staying alive I would say... :D

You posted while I was writing that one. You're thinkin way too fast today Rog. ;)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

I was reading stuff and watching news about this. Just so I'm clear -

The melamine was NOT on any of the gear used to make the milk powder. It wasn't some residual thing left over from a prior production run of a non-milk product.

It was DELIBERATELY ADDED by the manufacturers to give a 'supposed increase of protein' content. Now, it was ADDED once the milk was reduced to powder / dried milk.

This content is tested, as well. So Melamine can mimic protein, apparently, at least during this testing process.

It's not that it was 'tainted' by sloppy handling techniques or poorly designed hygenic methods - it was solely a decision made by someone to ADD it in, in an attempt to raise the 'tested' protein content.

Grr.

Going forward, since a human made this decision to add it in, I would suggest to anyone to kill that human.

Decisions have outcomes and consequences, allways...

[[EDIT]] - OK - so it wasn't solely done for milk powder once it was powder. Apparently the raw milk was watered down (f*cking cheapskates) and then the melamine was added to the resulting liquid.

Double Grr..

[[Another Edit]] - On Reflection, I now want to see a law on China's books simply stating that anyone adding Melamine into any food product for animal or human consumption will automatically be given the death penalty. No exceptions. Is impossible to 'accidently' get it into a food production factory.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

The latest from the AFP on the scandal...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hnbCOQ...lsbDKANiV-VZJEw

We can only hope that these qulaity control moves are NOT window-dressing and the government realizes they MUST clean up China's food supply... :lol:

F'ing word choice !!!

'Tainted' implies was 'an error' .

Was no error, was purposefully contaminated. grr.

The latest from the AFP on the scandal...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hnbCOQ...lsbDKANiV-VZJEw

We can only hope that these qulaity control moves are NOT window-dressing and the government realizes they MUST clean up China's food supply... :lol:

F'ing word choice !!!

'Tainted' implies was 'an error' .

Was no error, was purposefully contaminated. grr.

Deng's dictum "to get rich is glorious" is coming back to haunt China... :D