The Joy Luck Club

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Before leaving for work this morning, I tuned into our satellite TV stations, and saw that the movie Joy Luck Club was playing, I flipped by it a couple times, but then started settling in and watched it for a bit. It wasn't long before I called my wife in to watch with me.

The long and short of it, is that if nothing else, the movie is a big eye-opener to the many Western perceptions about Chinese people, and the lives they live(d) in China.

Every single one of the women whose lives they followed, had lived an abused life in China. Cruel parents, over-bearing and uncaring mothers. They even went so far as to show one of the women cutting herself and dripping her blood into a bowl of soup for her mother. The reason: to demonstrate to her mother, that she respected her from her soul. I then asked my wife, how many times she had done that for her mother? She said, "Where did they get that? I've never heard of such a thing."

The running theme of the movie, as depressing as it was, was that Chinese women lack confidence, are overly-submissive, and wander seemingly without direction until they embrace the more Westernly American Woman stance of independence.

If you've not seen this movie, I recommend that you watch it with your Chinese partner. Not so much for the entertainment from the movie, but to see displayed before you, the drastic and negative views of the West about China.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Before leaving for work this morning, I tuned into our satellite TV stations, and saw that the movie Joy Luck Club was playing, I flipped by it a couple times, but then started settling in and watched it for a bit. It wasn't long before I called my wife in to watch with me.

The long and short of it, is that if nothing else, the movie is a big eye-opener to the many Western perceptions about Chinese people, and the lives they live(d) in China.

Every single one of the women whose lives they followed, had lived an abused life in China. Cruel parents, over-bearing and uncaring mothers. They even went so far as to show one of the women cutting herself and dripping her blood into a bowl of soup for her mother. The reason: to demonstrate to her mother, that she respected her from her soul. I then asked my wife, how many times she had done that for her mother? She said, "Where did they get that? I've never heard of such a thing."

The running theme of the movie, as depressing as it was, was that Chinese women lack confidence, are overly-submissive, and wander seemingly without direction until they embrace the more Westernly American Woman stance of independence.

If you've not seen this movie, I recommend that you watch it with your Chinese partner. Not so much for the entertainment from the movie, but to see displayed before you, the drastic and negative views of the West about China.

From Wiki:

The Joy Luck Club (1989) is a best-selling novel written by Amy Tan.

In 1993, the novel was adapted into a feature film directed by Wayne Wang and starring Ming-Na, Lauren Tom, Tamlyn Tomita, France Nuyen, Rosalind Chao, Kieu Chinh, Tsai Chin, Lisa Lu, and Vivian Wu. The screenplay was written by Amy Tan and Ronald Bass.

Instead of bringing your complaint here to the Candle about; the movie is a big eye-opener to the many Western perceptions about Chinese people, and the lives they live(d) in China.

You might want to complain to all those Chinese who authored, directed, starred in and edited the film.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Instead of bringing your complaint here to the Candle about; the movie is a big eye-opener to the many Western perceptions about Chinese people, and the lives they live(d) in China.

You might want to complain to all those Chinese who authored, directed, starred in and edited the film.

Hello Dennis, how are you doing these days? I hope well, for you and your family.

Honestly Dennis, this is not a complaint, not in the least. I'm simply taking this opportunity to share an observation about the movie. Again, I think it would be very useful to anyone having a Chinese partner to watch the movie, together with them. In about two hours or so that it takes to watch, our partners can receive more education about Western perceptions, than they can watching a segment of CNN.

Hello Dennis, how are you doing these days? I hope well, for you and your family.

Honestly Dennis, this is not a complaint, not in the least. I'm simply taking this opportunity to share an observation about the movie. Again, I think it would be very useful to anyone having a Chinese partner to watch the movie, together with them. In about two hours or so that it takes to watch, our partners can receive more education about Western perceptions, than they can watching a segment of CNN.

Ah, OK, I get it. :roller: Sorry, i thought is was a complaint. :roller:

Seriously, someday when Leiqin's English is good enough for both of us to sit and watch a movie together, I will certainly put The Joy Luck Club on the watch list. ;)

Sorry that I didn't understand the OP. :bleh:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Ok, I'm confused which doesn't take much at times..... Are you saying this film is a bunch of whoha or truth???? I don't think you are saying it is truth, but then again I said I'm confused...... :roller:

Hello Corbin,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the movie. I honestly thought that the movie was very well presented. Most of the acting was quite good. It was geared toward a Western rather than Chinese audience, as most of the dialog was presented in English.

As I watched, I kept looking for something of value, something I could identify with from my personal experience. The more I watched, the more I was caught up in a seemingly endless sea of depression and difficulty, that all stemmed from having a bad life in China, and how that upbringing brought difficulty to their lives.

It's the kind of movie to be watched, with both partners at the same time. My wife's feeling at the end of the movie, was that she never has known or heard of anyone having a life like these women were said to have experienced in the movie.

Ok, I'm confused which doesn't take much at times..... Are you saying this film is a bunch of whoha or truth???? I don't think you are saying it is truth, but then again I said I'm confused...... :roller:

Hello Corbin,

I'm sorry for the confusion about the movie. I honestly thought that the movie was very well presented. Most of the acting was quite good. It was geared toward a Western rather than Chinese audience, as most of the dialog was presented in English.

As I watched, I kept looking for something of value, something I could identify with from my personal experience. The more I watched, the more I was caught up in a seemingly endless sea of depression and difficulty, that all stemmed from having a bad life in China, and how that upbringing brought difficulty to their lives.

It's the kind of movie to be watched, with both partners at the same time. My wife's feeling at the end of the movie, was that she never has known or heard of anyone having a life like these women were said to have experienced in the movie.

I see now and fully understand.... Yes, we Westerners have been painted many pictures of many other countries that isn't accurate in many ways. Just as those countries are painted pictures of America and how easy it is here, with our streets of gold :roller:

Each side seems to have that fish eye lens view of the other side at times.....

Prior to Mao, women were regarded as little more than property. This is the generation Amy Tan was refering to in her novel. Mao said "women hold up half of the sky". If nothing else Mao deserves the credit for improving women's rights and lives in China.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1217/p01s04-woap.html

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Prior to Mao, women were regarded as little more than property. This is the generation Amy Tan was refering to in her novel. Mao said "women hold up half of the sky". If nothing else Mao deserves the credit for improving women's rights and lives in China.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1217/p01s04-woap.html

That may be true for the book, but as we all know, when books are made into movies, they often embellish content, or choose a new setting. This is done mostly to reach a wider audience, and sell more movies.

The movie however was set in modern times, as in our current generation. My wife was born as Mao was on his way out, and a new way was sweeping across China. As we all know, most in the West have little knowledge of Eastern culture, especially that of China. By the movie presenting itself in modern times, with modern women, it also presented itself as being the way life is now in China. Of course, this is not the case.

Regarding your statement of women being regarded a little more than property: that may be true in some households, but many of that generation, hold fast and strong to the value of women in life and their households.

Further, Wikipedia states:

Criticism

Though her book has been widely praised by critics, it has been criticized by noted Asian American author Frank Chin for perpetuating racist stereotypes.[1][2][3]

see also:

http://www.eskimo.com/~webguy/writings/joysucks.html

My wife was born during the Cultural Revolution and for her to be considered "property" is an understatement. She was a girl and had little or no value to her family. She bears the scars form those turbulent years. She was born and raised in the Jiangxi Province on a rural farm. I would share some of the stories but they are too heartbreaking.

One fact that I have learned, the suicide rate of women from the era of the Cultural Revolution in the rural areas were the highest in the world. Chairman Mao's statement that women hold up half the world was nothing more than just a statement. Chinese tradition was much stronger.

I remember watching that movie many many many years ago. I mostly watched it because Ming-Na Wen, and Tamlyn Tomita were in it. :P

I was already aware of the way women were treated in the east so there wasn't so much of an eye opening experience there for me.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I remember watching that movie many many many years ago. I mostly watched it because Ming-Na Wen, and Tamlyn Tomita were in it. ;)

I was already aware of the way women were treated in the east so there wasn't so much of an eye opening experience there for me.

That's just it. There are many that dispute the claims and premise of the movie, as evidenced by:

Wikipedia states:

Criticism

Though her book has been widely praised by critics, it has been criticized by noted Asian American author Frank Chin for perpetuating racist stereotypes.[1][2][3]

see also:

http://www.eskimo.com/~webguy/writings/joysucks.html

Everyone should read this review. Here's a snippet...

Near the end of the movie I found myself thinking,

There is something terribly wrong here!

All the Chinese men are portrayed as bad and weak!

Why is this movie getting good reviews? Are the critics all blind?

Then I started to get angry. What a rip-off! I'm glad I didn't spend money to see the JLC in the movie theater. I only spent 3 hours of my time at home.

I noticed there were very few reviews mentioning there were Chinese stereotypes in the movie. (One review even claimed there were none!) I am a first generation Chinese-American male, born and raised in the USA. I am living the reality of the Asian experience. I am not a Militant-Chinese-Power-Fanatic but since none of my Chinese brethren appear to be commenting on the JLC, I feel compelled to write this review. (Why aren't there any well known movie critics of Chinese descent?)

i think that if it was not for Oliver Stone the movie would have never made it. put his name on the cover and you got a hit.

i own the movie and have watched twice. depressing.

i believe there are so many people in China your going to have all sorts of stories like that.... some were not so lucky... others lived better.

some were in the perfect position after the cultural revolution was over with to step right into something and step right up the ladder to make some decent money.

some were not.....

Edited by izus (see edit history)

I have known a few Chinese women well enougth to learn their stoires and their stories are strong enough to be made into a movie not too different than the Joy Luck Club. Many did experience these kinds of treatments and some even worse. It is a big country and things did happen especially right before and during the Cultural reveloution. The government tried to split the families and make people dependent on it. This kind of pressure caused many bad things to happen. Some newly with power after so many years with no power chose to abuse this new power and did their evil to many. These things have happend all over the world at various times, even in the US, we have seen such movie made about many places not just china.