China has new rules for Foreigners in traffic accidents

Guest Tony n Terrific

Police may prohibit foreigners in traffic accidents from leaving the country until the cases are settled.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-08...ent_6979340.htm

This sounds more than fair. But two notes I got to make.

1. Traffic police will be able to deal with the situation if damage is less than 2,000 yuan ($300) In the USA that would be a pebble hitting your paint job. This is much to low I think.

2. I do not know if I would want to drive in China. I use to always look at a bad driver and say another women driver. Not since my first trip to china I will never every make that comment again.

Nothing against Chinese drivers in the USA as they have to abide by US laws. I do not know if China really has any sort of driving laws or test.

Doug

Police may prohibit foreigners in traffic accidents from leaving the country until the cases are settled.

1. Traffic police will be able to deal with the situation if damage is less than 2,000 yuan ($300) In the USA that would be a pebble hitting your paint job. This is much to low I think.

2. I do not know if I would want to drive in China. I use to always look at a bad driver and say another women driver. Not since my first trip to china I will never every make that comment again.

Guy

Nothing against Chinese drivers in the USA as they have to abide by US laws. I do not know if China really has any sort of driving laws or test.

Doug

Re: your point 1: I bought a new Toyota Corolla in Chongqing last October. It got pranged in the parking garage 6 months later. Not a lot of damage (right front bumper in the vicinity of the fog light). Damage was assessed at 200 yuan, which the other guy's insurance paid. Dealership removed the bumper, pounded out the dent, repainted and replaced it....no charge to us. Perfect repair. Can't tell that it was ever damaged. I'm sure a similar procedure in Canada would have cost several hundred dollars. Repair costs are much lower than in N. America.

Re: your point 2: I have my Chinese licence (took the test) and drive daily in Chongqing. The drivers' code is remarkably similar to ours in Canada, and is summed up (in the manual) with the words: "Drive on the right side, stay in your lane, and do not impede the progress of others." Hah! 'Tis to laugh! I used to get really angry at their antics, but now I just shake my head and chuckle. Needless to say, I do a lot of chuckling.

2,000 RMB can be 50% of one's monthly salary (decent job) or more than 2 month's salary if a really low level job.

When I was in India, it was almost unheard of to get someone to show up in court, so the rules were:

1. Traffic accidents were dealt with on the spot (mob rule - rich-looking foreigners would be deemed the most guilty)

2. The police carried billy clubs - traffic fines came in the form of a bashed-out head or tail light.

Guest WenDylan

When I was in India, it was almost unheard of to get someone to show up in court, so the rules were:

1. Traffic accidents were dealt with on the spot (mob rule - rich-looking foreigners would be deemed the most guilty)

2. The police carried billy clubs - traffic fines came in the form of a bashed-out head or tail light.

Sounds like my kind of Law & Order. Haha!

Maybe though, this is a good way to keep your Chinese Visa from expiring and extend your vacation days... the question is, can I get a job after I have a couple traffic accidents?

Guy

Doug

Re: your point 2: I have my Chinese licence (took the test) and drive daily in Chongqing. The drivers' code is remarkably similar to ours in Canada, and is summed up (in the manual) with the words: "Drive on the right side, stay in your lane, and do not impede the progress of others." Hah! 'Tis to laugh! I used to get really angry at their antics, but now I just shake my head and chuckle. Needless to say, I do a lot of chuckling.

Even more chuckle-worthy is the traffic in the human mind, making that U-turn from stereotype A to stereotype B, leaving reality lying bloodied in the crosswalk. Ooops! Didn't see her! :rolleyes: