Gift-giving

PJ,

I made the mistake of purchasing a rather expensive box of quality chocolates from a local chocolatier in Portland. We were meeting my wife's family in Hengyang (Hunan) for the first time and "everybody" was going to be there. It was locally made in Portland and, I'm thinking, who doesn't chocolate. All in all, just wasn't the treat I thought it might be. What was interesting was that I purchased several packages of "Big Red" chewing gum at 25 cents a pack. What a hit that was!

Giving RMB is always welcome. At least with my wife's family, they don't have a lot of money and it seemed to be really appreciated. I think too many local things from the U.S. might have an unexpected affect. I did bring a few "Made in Oregon" gifts and although they seemed to go over well, I could also sense that some family members were envious that my wife would be moving to the U.S. and not them. It was just something I sensed. My wife's nieces were absolutely precious and the three of them were studying English in school. They couldn't wait to show me their books and tell me all they learned. So, for them, I wish I had brought something school related that had to do with the English language.

I see no problem at all with bringing the casette tapes with what you're planning to record. You just likely want to avoid anything with political or religious overtones that may be controversial. Of course, you will want to be sure there is a casette player once you get where you're going in China.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that American Ginseng sure is expensive. I got some that appears to be made in Wisconsin. It says "American Ginseng Roots - Ginseng Board of Wisconsin, Inc."

I spent over a hundred bucks today (that's gonna set me back a looonnnggg time), and I got 4 packages of varying size and type of ginseng.

This is good stuff, right, the Wisconsin ginseng?

Thanks,

P.J.

Hi All,

I need gift advice for people in China.  In the past, I have read a number of threads on various sites, and gathered the following from those threads.  I know it's difficult, since most of the stuff we buy here has a "made in China" label.  These are some of the ideas I've compiled.

American Chocolates, candy, gum

Lotions, cosmetics, skin care products

Cassette tape recordings of local radio stations (I thought this was clever)

Red envelopes (for giving US money)

Few questions. 

1.  With the casette tape recording idea, I thought this was cool, but would this be a problem to bring into China?  I'm just taping innocuous stuff like morning DJ talk shows and popular mainstream music.  However, I have concerns about being a Westerner and bringing in media, does anyone foresee any problems?

2.  What kind of chocolates go over well? 

3.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

P.J.

PJ,

if your sweetie likes chocolate then get Godiva. :P now you can already find a lot foreign companies' chocolate in China but still Godiva is the one that you can;t ever find. Bring a nice box of Godiva. I am sure she will like it. :lol: http://www.godiva.com/store/default.asp here is their website. :D

if your sweetie likes chocolate then get Godiva.  

Whatever you do, don't mail it, unless you want her to have ONE BIG piece. :lol:

I made the mistake once of sending a box of Godiva, along with some other Christmas presents. I figured it's winter, so it should be okay. Wrong - all melted.

I might add that when I brought a box with me, the kids liked the chocolate, but Jingwen thought it was too sweet. She did like the gold box though. :D

PJ, if you are looking for gifts that are not too expensive, but the Chinese seem to like very much, try dried fruit. Mango, Figs, peaches, and things of this type, also I have always giving Macadamen nuts when I go and most like they very much. I probably spelled Mac nuts wrong, but I am sure your supper market has them.

Guest enight

my Alan brought garlic press to my mother and Bailey's Irish Creame to my father... and a huge Disney Mikey to my sister...

... and... ***to me and $$$ to me :blink:

we are all very satisfied! :unsure:

Guest blsqueaky

Hello PJ, well I guess that I can say what I have found, and maybe my new family is just a little weird, I am going back for XMAS, and I was talking to the wife, and here is what I found for some gifts,

For the one Brother-in-Law, he wants a Michigan wolvernine Jacket like my wifes, and I am from OH

My one neice, a couple of special DVDS to help her learn english,

My other borther-in law, loves to wear basketball jerseys and shorts, so OSU clothes,

And the parents, well I was very surprised, a great aerial photo of where I live so that they can always look at and see where their daughter is.

Hello PJ, well I guess that I can say what I have found, and maybe my new family is just a little weird, I am going back for XMAS, and I was talking to the wife, and here is what I found for some gifts,

For the one Brother-in-Law, he wants a Michigan wolvernine Jacket like my wifes, and I am from OH

My one neice, a couple of special DVDS to help her learn english,

My other borther-in law, loves to wear basketball jerseys and shorts, so OSU clothes,

And the parents, well I was very surprised, a great aerial photo of where I live so that they can always look at and see where their daughter is.

Her parents are wise. That would make an interesting gift indeed.

If I may make a suggestion, check with Ohio DOT in the capital city. Their photogrammetry dept. may sell them at a reasonable price at different scales. They would show a good detail of the immediate area in where you live.

Just a sidenote: NASA's website has a cool page called "earth from space" in which they show many satellite photos around the world. There is a good one of Hong Kong and some other areas in china as well as alot of major cities in the states.

- happy trails!

http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/

Hi again,

I pasted the nasa site here and they are photos from the space shuttle and not satellites. I had this site in my "favorites" list but it wouldn't open for me.."no display" page. It's been awhile since I opened this site. Maybe it will be okay later or maybe NASA shut it down.

Just a couple things that worked well for me. Belgium chocolates went over quite well with my lady as did a perfume sampler box. Cost me a $100 but she loved the perfume. Also, as everyone has said, giving money is never wrong, just dont try to outdo anyone. Han Lin calls it "lucky money" and it is always given in one of those little red envelopes you can get anywhere. I think 500 rmb is a bit much, usually its less unless your circumstances dictate otherwise. Also, red is a lucky color in china, so you might consider that as well.

I did buy her a watch for her birthday, we spent HOURS going from shop to shop before she finally decided on one. It was one of those games you play, you know? "yes dear, you look great in that dress". Then she puts it back for whatever reason. Well it was the same with watches. But eventually, she chose and she loves the one she got. Man do they love to dicker over price. I'd pay the extra 10 rmb just to get off my feet!

One other thing you might want to "avoid" -- is a mistake I made. I told han lin to invite her family out to dinner and I would take care of the bill. WELL...every relative and friend they could think of showed up for the dinner. Why? I'm not really sure! Musta been because we were recently engaged. Luckily dinner engagements are cheap and it only cost me about $80 USD. OH! if you give a gift to someone senior to you, like her father, make sure you use both hands to present the gift, not just one. :rolleyes: :( :D :) :D :D

oh and in regards to the "space shot" of earth, there is a web site where you can download a photo of your area, in fairly good detail. I did that once to show han lin where I lived, but darned if i can remember the URL. I"ll have to find the website again and post it here...it covers just about anywhere in the US>I think!! :rolleyes: :(

Bing likes perfume. The expensive French ones of course. I want to get some for her and send it but I vaguely recall seeing something somewhere about certain luxury items such as this being banned in China. Have any of you had any trouble? I would hate to go out and spend a small fortune just to have some bureaucrat confiscate it.

Carl

Have any of you had any trouble? I would hate to go out and spend a small fortune just to have some bureaucrat confiscate it.

Carl

hi Carl, no problem at all!

besides french perfume is not really expensive if you buy from China, one bottle cost around $70.

US price might be 10% to 20% cheaper.

...I vaguely recall seeing something somewhere about certain luxury items such as this being banned in China.  Have any of you had any trouble? I would hate to go out and spend a small fortune just to have some bureaucrat confiscate it.

When I went to China for Spring Festival, the lines through customs were exceedingly long. The "Nothing To Declare" line probably would have taken me about an hour to clear. But there was no one in the red line, so I thought I'd take a chance. I was carrying CDs, perfume, jewelry, and a few other things. The inspector checked the CDs and smiled. He asked about the perfume and the jewelry, and I showed him the receipt. I don't remember the amount, but it was well over $100. Again, no problem. I was out of customs in two minutes. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Guest blsqueaky

Hey tywy, Yes, it is a very interesting gift. They do not even know that they are getting this. I am even going to wrap in XMAS paper and watch them open, heck, I am going to wrap all the gifts in paper and put under their XMAS Tree, YES, they have one that they put up with decorations.

Luckily I have a friend here in the Buckeye Lake area that is a photographer, and he has a very nice 11x14 aerial photo of the whole area, and he is giving to me as a gift for my wedding present. Nice to have such great friends.

Skrunks, you are right about the gift giving, both hands, and not only use for giving to the father, but also the mother.

As far as the web site, look at www.bored.com. They have the web site for the photos.