IPhones are a hot seller here in the US. My stepson knows some affluent Chinese business men who want him to have me get them a couple of unlocked phones. I've seen some adds for unlocked iPhones but I have also read that since ATT has the exclusive contract for iPhones in America, there may be some issues with internet upgrades etc. Since I am somewhat technologically challenged I am hoping that some of you (Randy, Smitty?) may be able to guide me through this maze.

I'd say go for it! Check the price with him, and then bring him what he wants.

Upgrading is not an issue, as long as the phone works and the buyer is aware of what he's getting.

they'll work fine in China.

It looks like it's pretty easy to unlock them yourself, if you want to try that.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The iPhone can be unlocked by downloading and installing some free software from the internet. It can also be unlocked in many places in China for probably around 200 RMB.

Most likely these Chinese business men want the new iPhone 3G which No one has found a way to unlock at the moment. In the US, the only way the new iPhone can be bought is with a 2 year contract from AT&T (or for a lot of $$$ on Ebay - which I do not trust for this certain product).

The team who unlocked the first iPhone are still working on a way to unlock the iPhone 3G. Their progress will be updated on this website:

iPhone Dev Team Portal

http://wikee.iphwn.org/

I think the easiest way to do it is to get an iPhone from Germany, or one of those countries in Europe.

I fairly sure it's Germany, but in one of them countries it's illegal to lock cell phones to one carrier.

Or you have to get a previous generation, as in not the 3G iPhone, iPhone on eBay or Craigslist, and then get it unlocked.

Something else they might want to consider is the OpenMoko phone. While it is still in development, you can get them when they make a batch, and then they might be ahead of the curve and even cooler. Maybe.

I was watching an iPhone commercial today where the user downloads a speaking Chinese phrase book. I really wanted one at that point!

Excellent price. Interesting purchase procedure

So, when you decide you want to purchase a product please contact Elizabeth Darr at elizabethdarr@yahoo.com. Once she receives your email she will review your item request, find out if it is "in stock', and then contact you concerning the purchase payment & shipping options. We have adopted this new policy in order to minimize fraudulent buyers.

Buyer beware.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

So, when you decide you want to purchase a product please contact Elizabeth Darr at elizabethdarr@yahoo.com. Once she receives your email she will review your item request, find out if it is "in stock', and then contact you concerning the purchase payment & shipping options. We have adopted this new policy in order to minimize fraudulent buyers.

Buyer beware.

I'm a born skeptic. Has anyone ever heard of this money exchange thingy?

Another issue is voltage. Since these are marketed to use in the US, can the charger be used in China?

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Buyer beware.

I'm a born skeptic. Has anyone ever heard of this money exchange thingy?

Another issue is voltage. Since these are marketed to use in the US, can the charger be used in China?

I think I heard about something like this when I was in Nigeria. :unsure:

I know what you mean Dave. I hated reading it but couldn't stop. It got to be like a bad soap opera you can't stop watching. I have found a few forums where the new 3G models can be unlocked but there are some issues with upgrades. There seems to be some websites where you can get them but if you try to get them directly from the phone it may relock itself. I've come to the conclusion that it is more hassle than it's worth. My stepson hopes to make about 1500 RMB on this deal. I just hope the guys who want them know what they are getting into.

In the US, the only way the new iPhone can be bought is with a 2 year contract from AT&T (or for a lot of $$$ on Ebay - which I do not trust for this certain product).

I believe that is not accurate. You can buy the Iphone without the contract for $599. at an Apple store. I believe this was discussed before here. Just google 'Iphone without contract' and you will see several articles concerning this.

Also, starting on Sept 7, they will be available at all Best Buys without the contract