Knowing Pi to 100 Digits by Age 3...

A very informative and far-reaching article about the little emperors. We've often touched on the result of China's one-child policy here and I thought this a worthy addition to the dicussion. Although it comes from a mental health standpoint in Psychology Today it covers much more than that about the lives of the young striving for success in today's China. Simply put there are not enough jobs to give even the best of China's young who do attain the coveted university degree. And failure can extract a very high price.

We recently watched a program called "Dream" that featured 3 young women all hoping to be airline flight attendants . They were extensively quizzed by a team of experts, given a test in a simulated plane with unruly passengers... :ph34r: and finally the two "survivors" were given uniforms to indicate their acceptance into the fold. I said to laopo that in America there would never be a program like that for a job like that. I mean this was NOT Donald Trump's assistant. But in China it is considered a very good position...With 4 million university grads every year and 1.6 million new jobs for them... :unsure:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/in...004&print=1

... and they even have height, weight, and age standards for Chinese flight attendants; just like the good old days .... sigh ... :D

Well Jim those are the kinds of things you can do in a FREE country... :D :P :P

Or in a country with an excess population of about 1 billion people. ;)

. . . those are the kinds of things you can do in a FREE country... :o :D :P

I understand that your tongue was at least partially in your cheek Roger . . . but the sad thing (not sad for China) is that China's personal freedoms are overtaking our personal freedoms in the USA.

The latest revocation of freedom are the bans on cooking with trans fat or serving foie gras in restaurants.

In my trips to China, I have never seen evidence of the human rights abuses we hear so much about, but I allow for the possibility that these things do occur. My sense of law enforcement there is that while they certainly pay close attention, you'd have to spit in their eye to move them to action. I have never seen the pot stirring that I've seen frequently in the USA. Some people will recall my concern about staying with my gal at Spring Festival without registering with the police. It turns out that my gal lived in a housing complex designated for police (her ex was a cop and she got the flat). No problems.

Your TIC comment is striking too close to home.

It is also why I did not like seeing China giving into the anti-everything-except-what-we-agree-with crowd on shark fin soup, dog meat and smoking.

If Americans don't wise up.......

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)