Seeking Advice

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I would like to ask for some advice.

I am dating a wonderful young woman from China (QiuQiu). She is without a doubt the girl of my dreams. We've been dating for a little over a year (1 year 3 months). I went to China and we met in Guilin last year.

I just recently got a divorce, officially last Thursday. My ex-wife is a foreign national from Hungary.

I met QiuQiu while I was married and going through seperation and divorce. Now that it's final and QiuQiu can finally be a true couple, we want to file for a K-1 visa in October.

I've heard (as I'm sure you all have) the horror stories about people being denied due to having been married to another foreign national. I know there are people out there that will marry a person so that they can stay in the U.S. and I really don't want the USCIS to think the same of me because of my recent divorce.

I would like to ask, should we wait a longer amount of time? Is applying in October too soon?

Please help.

Thank you

- Tonoue

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and I would like to ask for some advice.

I am dating a wonderful young woman from China (QiuQiu). She is without a doubt the girl of my dreams. We've been dating for a little over a year (1 year 3 months). I went to China and we met in Guilin last year.

I just recently got a divorce, officially last Thursday. My ex-wife is a foreign national from Hungary.

I met QiuQiu while I was married and going through seperation and divorce. Now that it's final and QiuQiu can finally be a true couple, we want to file for a K-1 visa in October.

I've heard (as I'm sure you all have) the horror stories about people being denied due to having been married to another foreign national. I know there are people out there that will marry a person so that they can stay in the U.S. and I really don't want the USCIS to think the same of me because of my recent divorce.

I would like to ask, should we wait a longer amount of time? Is applying in October too soon?

Please help.

Thank you

- Tonoue

hello,everyone,I am the chinese girl .It's very nice of all of you.Thanks for sharing your stories and giving us advices.Feel so warm here.I hope everyone finally can be together with the one you love.It's so hard to be apart.

I want to add more information about our case.I am 26,single.no children.very simple background.He is 31.no children.stable job.So maybe that's the advantage.But there is one thing i always worry about.I am tiny girl.But my bf is kind of overweighted.(any tips to lose weight quickly?)Is that matter?I don't think we are physically matched at all.But our hearts are close.So seems there are only two problems bother us:first,We met during his previous marriage.second,weight problem."sigh".

Bye the way. Is it better to sumbit the previous marriage statement now or wait until get the visa appoitment? there is another question,Will credit influence case?

Good luck to everyone.

Everyone,I am the chinese girl .It's very nice of all of you.Thanks for sharing your stories and giving us advices.Feel so warm here.I hope everyone finally can be together with the one you love.It's so hard to be apart.

I want to add more information about our case.I am 26,single.no children.very simple background.He is 31.no children.stable job.So maybe that's the advantage.But there is one thing i always worry about.I am tiny girl.But my bf is kind of overweighted.(any tips to lose weight quickly?)Is that matter?I don't think we are physically matched at all.But our hearts are close.So seems there are only two problems bother us:first,We met during his previous marriage.second,weight problem."sigh".

Bye the way. Is it better to sumbit the previous marriage statement now or wait until get the visa appoitment? there is another question,Will credit influence case?

Good luck to everyone.

Sweetheart! :happybday:

I'm happy you got your account and posted here. But...a little too much info maybe...? :mbounce: I'm not THAT big. LOL :headbang: :wub:

Yes, you are a tiny girl compared to me (I'm 5'11", she's 5'3") but I love that about you. I really don't think they will deny us because of height/weight differences. But, would appreciate any other responses to that question. hehe. :icecream: I have to say, I am VERY blessed and blissfully happy to have someone who loves me and cares about my health. :sosad:

As for credit, it may. I don't have horrible credit....but it's not great... :mbounce: But I'm working on everything I can to improve it.

Any other advice or insight anybody could give us would be most grateful.

My love, I'll talk to you soon. :mbounce:

- Tonoue

Guest Mike and Lily

Everyone,I am the chinese girl .It's very nice of all of you.Thanks for sharing your stories and giving us advices.Feel so warm here.I hope everyone finally can be together with the one you love.It's so hard to be apart.

Good luck to everyone.

Sweetheart! :wub:

I'm happy you got your account and posted here. But...a little too much info maybe...? :P I'm not THAT big. LOL <_< :lol:

Yes, you are a tiny girl compared to me (I'm 5'11", she's 5'3") but I love that about you. I really don't think they will deny us because of height/weight differences. But, would appreciate any other responses to that question. hehe. :) I have to say, I am VERY blessed and blissfully happy to have someone who loves me and cares about my health. :blush:

As for credit, it may. I don't have horrible credit....but it's not great... :( But I'm working on everything I can to improve it.

Any other advice or insight anybody could give us would be most grateful.

My love, I'll talk to you soon. ;)

- Tonoue

Hi there Tonoue. Sounds like honeylaopo really wants you to lose some of that excess poundage. I hope you can make her happy! ;)

Having met while he was still married is no problem in itself. Many have passed who have had this same circumstance.

The firm criteria is that you are eligible to marry when the petition is submitted.

Remember the VO should be looking at the totality of the case.

Good luck on losing weight ... it will pay off with a longer healthier life!

I guess I will weigh in on this one, It didn't matter in my case, divorced from a Russian woman in Jan. 05 married my Chineese honey in July of 05 and went thru the process in 8 months, My new wife and son moved here in April 06. Best move I ever made, never knew what it was like to live with a woman in harmony. My wife is a such a wonderful woman and mother, I feel her love and frienship everyday, I was a big man also (350Lbs ) when I married and she just a small (90 lbs) when we married. She was 39 and I 52. Since my honey arrived here she gave me a new purpose in life and keeps me happily busy, she is a great cook, and feed me a diet that has helped me loose 60 pounds and continuing to loose. Her food is tasety with alot of vegies and soups, the bigest change was minimal starches in the evening and alot of matress polo :) :P. I am sure happiness has alot to do with weight loss too.

If this is the one for you I say go for it! I would visit again then file, this would solify your new relationship after divorce and may be easier to justify to the VO when questioned about your relationship with your new honey. Also during the interview my wife was asked many questions about my prior marrage, I told her everything and she answered all the VO's questions and was granted her CR 1 &2 visa. What ever you decide good luck to the both of you!

Another question, if you don't mind.

My love and I are going through all the forms required to apply for visa, and we've come across one part on the I-129F that we can't agree on.

Under Part B, Question 19 -

Did you meet your fiance(e) or spouse through the services of an international marriage broker?

I say to put yes, we did. We met on an international dating website. I want to be as honest as possible.

As I understand an - from an except on Wikipedia, "an 'International marriage broker' is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts nonprofit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship."

Wikipedia - International Marriage Regulation Act

If I understand this right, this would include dating websites that you paid for.

Qiu says we should not put this down. She said we will have problems if we do and that many others don't put it down even though they did. I not quite understanding this, I would imagine most people meet their significant others this way.

I'm I wrong to think an international website is a "marriage broker"? Should we mark it down that we did meet this way? Are there problems if we do, or if we don't?

Advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Tonoue

"an 'International marriage broker' is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts nonprofit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship."

OK....OK...I'm officially stoopid. :P

I read and re-read the definition over and over that I completely missed the "exempt" part.

Forgive me, but I'm kinda nervous and paranoid about filling out these forms.

*sigh*

Note to self....just listen to the woman and do what she says....

:P :lol:

Guest Rob & Jin

"an 'International marriage broker' is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts nonprofit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship."

OK....OK...I'm officially stoopid. :lol:

I read and re-read the definition over and over that I completely missed the "exempt" part.

Forgive me, but I'm kinda nervous and paranoid about filling out these forms.

*sigh*

Note to self....just listen to the woman and do what she says....

:D :yahoo:

Glad she sorted you out :wacko: :yahoo:

Another question, if you don't mind.

My love and I are going through all the forms required to apply for visa, and we've come across one part on the I-129F that we can't agree on.

Under Part B, Question 19 -

Did you meet your fiance(e) or spouse through the services of an international marriage broker?

I say to put yes, we did. We met on an international dating website. I want to be as honest as possible.

As I understand an - from an except on Wikipedia, "an 'International marriage broker' is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts nonprofit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship."

Wikipedia - International Marriage Regulation Act

If I understand this right, this would include dating websites that you paid for.

Qiu says we should not put this down. She said we will have problems if we do and that many others don't put it down even though they did. I not quite understanding this, I would imagine most people meet their significant others this way.

I'm I wrong to think an international website is a "marriage broker"? Should we mark it down that we did meet this way? Are there problems if we do, or if we don't?

Advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

- Tonoue

Here's the fun part.

If a real marriage broker website, will have an IMBRA statement floating around in the TOS .

Have another look, read all the pages, top to bottom - use a search on the google - save some time - ie -

go to the Google

in the search box - enter:

site:<<that_WebSite_Name>> IMBRA

replacing <<that_WebSite_Name>> with the actual name (ie - joebob.com) , leave space between the end of the url and the I in IMBRA .

If they published a statement - you'll find it with that kinda search.

Good Luck !

Here's the fun part.

If a real marriage broker website, will have an IMBRA statement floating around in the TOS .

Have another look, read all the pages, top to bottom - use a search on the google - save some time - ie -

go to the Google

in the search box - enter:

site:<<that_WebSite_Name>> IMBRA

replacing <<that_WebSite_Name>> with the actual name (ie - joebob.com) , leave space between the end of the url and the I in IMBRA .

If they published a statement - you'll find it with that kinda search.

Good Luck !

Just to be sure, I checked the website and read the ToS.

Under the section for service, it stated:

"The Service is an internet information service that facilitates contact between members who may or may not be seeking friendship or a relationship. It is not a marriage brokering service, mail order bride service nor a matchmaking service. The Company is under no obligation to broker any other member or members for you."

Thanks for the advice, Darnell. :lol:

- Tonoue

Guest Rob & Jin

thanks for nice help.I have other questions.Is it better to submit I-134form now to let visa officer know about our financial?Also how to write previous marriage statement? What points should be included?thanks

I-134 is submitted at interview.

Who's previous marriage ? what statement ? why bring GUZ attention to it ?

My opinion is dont invite scrutiny you dont need.

If benifiaries previous marrige, kids etc.. just make sure you have clear evidence of divorce, custody and seperate domicile (from ex) but dont offer it wait to be asked.

good luck :D