Just got an RFE ...

Every hotel we stayed at in Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Guangzhou copied my passport and searched my luggage.

Not that I'm planning on bringing anything that wouldn't be kosher ... but every hotel searched your luggage? For what? What kinds of hotels did you stay in? We'll be staying in a hotel for a few days ... just want to be prepared.

how to get a copy of the requirements of the letter of invitation?

Every hotel we stayed at in Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Guangzhou copied my passport and searched my luggage.

Not that I'm planning on bringing anything that wouldn't be kosher ... but every hotel searched your luggage? For what? What kinds of hotels did you stay in? We'll be staying in a hotel for a few days ... just want to be prepared.

This is a directive of the government and is being taken seriously.

We stayed in nice hotels. (3 star to 4 star) The quality of amenities and service was very good. They were neither aggressive nor rude. They politely (and somewhat apologetically) followed the instructions they had been given.

I assume they were looking for weapons. But, I don't know that for a fact.

It was no big deal; it was just different than previous visits.

Edited by Richard & Li (see edit history)

This is a directive of the government and is being taken seriously.

We stayed in nice hotels. (3 star to 4 star) The quality of amenities and service was very good. They were neither aggressive nor rude. They politely (and somewhat apologetically) followed the instructions they had been given.

I assume they were looking for weapons. But, I don't know that for a fact.

It was no big deal; it was just different than previous visits.

Can't say that I had my luggage searched by the hotel this last time when we went to her home town. They did give my passport a more going over when I went through customs from Hong Kong to main land.

Don't mean to interrupt, but I assume that RFE means "Request For Evidence" right?

There's nothing listed in the FAQ Acronyms...

how to get a copy of the requirements of the letter of invitation?

I threw out the thing the Consulate gave me already, but it needs to include the things you'd figure - (1) name and full address of the inviter, (2) relationship to the invitee, (3) where the invitee will stay (full address) (4) approximate date the invitee will be arriving and how long the invitee will stay there, (5) some sort of itinerary if you're traveling to other places, and if so, where you'll be staying on your travels. Something like that.

Also, it has to be mailed (and keep the envelope showing the return address), or faxed (best if there's a return fax number showing it came from China .. but ours didn't have that, and it seemed to be ok).

Think about if someone was actually inviting you to stay at their house for a month (or whatever) and what they'd say. That's what they want to see.

Of course, this is for personal invitations; if you're getting a business or student visa, there are different requirements for the invitation letter (like the legal information of the business/school rather than information on your friend/family member).