New US embassy in Beijing

A massive new U.S. Embassy, the second-largest in the world after the heavily fortified compound in Baghdad...
Makes one wonder if they are thinking of splitting the IV unit up for north and south.
A massive new U.S. Embassy, the second-largest in the world after the heavily fortified compound in Baghdad...
Makes one wonder if they are thinking of splitting the IV unit up for north and south.

Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Good thing, currently Guangzhou handles ALL immigrant visas for all of China, a country with nearly 1/5 the world's population.

Many other high population countries have 2 or more consulates set up to do immigrant visas, India is an example (New Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras)

Or Canada with Vancouver and Montreal.

Good thing, currently Guangzhou handles ALL immigrant visas for all of China, a country with nearly 1/5 the world's population.

Many other high population countries have 2 or more consulates set up to do immigrant visas, India is an example (New Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras)

Yes, I see your point. It might make things quicker for sure and that is a good thing. ;)

I bet they do add an IV section. The reason I say this is I have seen a lot of posts about interviews being conducted by new VOs recently. Sounds like the final On the job training before heading off to the new embassy.

Question is would it be done in time to help out any of us with the results? To speed up the process? Maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

It seems as if CFL has a good handle on GUZ. Can you image how long it would take to develop an understanding of the new IV department with a new head, new VOs, new standards, etc? Yes the standards are to be the same, but just look at the results at GUZ. So we get a new head with new requirements, new outlook, etc. It could either be a blessing or a curse.

Damn I have too much Yin/Yang outlook in me already! Is that a good thing? :P

Now there is the irony..... Canada has more consulates to handle immigrant visas than China.....

Anything that brings our 2 nations closer together is a good thing... :)

But couldn't they have made it just a tiny bit smaller and used the "funds" to put in a little office on Hainan...Maybe a drive-in window even... :(

Drive through Visa window... can't get any more American than that!

I like it!

Now there is the irony..... Canada has more consulates to handle immigrant visas than China.....

Canada is sort of a hybrid, the Montreal consulate handles all IR-1/CR-1 cases for Canada as well as K-Visas for eastern Canada, Vancouver only does K-Visas, and other non-immigrant visas.

Canada is sort of a hybrid, the Montreal consulate handles all IR-1/CR-1 cases for Canada as well as K-Visas for eastern Canada, Vancouver only does K-Visas, and other non-immigrant visas.

GW was there himself at 8 am today to cut the ribbon.

Nice new embassy ... very big ... probably same dismally small (and serviced) unit for ACS.