Here is the set I bought for laopo on Hainan in 2005 for 400 RMB (then about $48... today $58 ) They are 10.5 mm, smaller ones should be much cheaper... :lol:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/222/qionghai18155003ii2.jpg

Size isn't the only issue though. Luster, shape and color also come into play. That was something I was wondering about though, are they cheaper in the South? I want to look here in Guangzhou to see what I can find. Anything anyone can add is appreciated.

Joshua

Here is the set I bought for laopo on Hainan in 2005 for 400 RMB (then about $48... today $58 ) They are 10.5 mm, smaller ones should be much cheaper... :lol:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/222/qionghai18155003ii2.jpg

Size isn't the only issue though. Luster, shape and color also come into play. That was something I was wondering about though, are they cheaper in the South? I want to look here in Guangzhou to see what I can find. Anything anyone can add is appreciated.

Joshua

I can't compare prices for you Joshua but on Hainan there are an awful lot of pearls grown, processed and sold... :P

Hello, I have heard that you can buy pearls in Behai a city in Guangxi province. It is on the coast south of Nanning. I don't know about the quality. Does anyone have an suggestions about any websites that has some good information on pearls and/ or jade? Danb

Cool, thanks for the info. I am not sure why I care. Wang Zhuo keeps on talking about how she wants to import/export stuff and this was just something I saw as interesting. I like to ask questions and do research before jumping in to things.

She really wants to export cosmetics to China from the states. She seems to think that there is a huge demand. I told her she needs to look into that one herself though. I do think that with the dollar weakening there will be more and more opportunities for exporting goods to China and it will be harder and harder to import stuff to the states.

Joshua

On my last trip to China we went to Behai City and met a woman selling pearls there. My wife's Friend is a world class haggler. They started out at 150 yuan each and we ended up getting 4 strands for 30 yuan each. Fake pearls would be worth that much but they are real. We brought them home as gifts for friends.

Hello Joshua, I forgot to mention those pearl that you showed are very pretty. The other pearls that were shown were also very good looking. I think that the prices of pearls will range as someone said from a few dollars to thousands, even ten of thousand of dollars. I am not rich so I could only afford 500 or so dollars for my special lady for a very special occasion. ( I would try to buy them in China so that I could get more bang for my bucks. ) I am not really trying to be cheap but that is all that I can afford. I am sure that there are other people in the states that would pay much more for good quality pearl jewelry. I believe some of the best Pearls in the world are maybe from Japan. Try googling Mikimoto pearls. I guess depending what part of the market you are trying to sell to will help determine the asking price.

I too am interesting in looking for something "good " to sell. I am not sure about what facors should be consider. I suspect that as China prosper that there will be many things that the Chinese will want to buy from the west with their extra disposable income. Import/export seems like a good idea. I wish you luck. Danb

Hello Joshua, I forgot to mention those pearl that you showed are very pretty. The other pearls that were shown were also very good looking. I think that the prices of pearls will range as someone said from a few dollars to thousands, even ten of thousand of dollars. I am not rich so I could only afford 500 or so dollars for my special lady for a very special occasion. ( I would try to buy them in China so that I could get more bang for my bucks. ) I am not really trying to be cheap but that is all that I can afford. I am sure that there are other people in the states that would pay much more for good quality pearl jewelry. I believe some of the best Pearls in the world are maybe from Japan. Try googling Mikimoto pearls. I guess depending what part of the market you are trying to sell to will help determine the asking price.

I too am interesting in looking for something "good " to sell. I am not sure about what facors should be consider. I suspect that as China prosper that there will be many things that the Chinese will want to buy from the west with their extra disposable income. Import/export seems like a good idea. I wish you luck. Danb

My thoughts with the pearls are to buy some inexpensive(not Cheap) to medium quality pearls in China and bring them home and do some "testing" of the market with family and friends. Someone told me that you do not want to import anything unless you are going to sell it for at least 5x the purchase price (need to cover expenses such as shipping/taxes/labor). At this rate I could sell the inexpensive pearls (still very nice looking) for about $30 dollars a strand and the medium quality (by medium I mean that they are not saltwater/Tahitian or any other type of "special" pearl) for about $200 dollars. There are some that are between these prices as well. I have a feeling that I could sell quite a few of the $30 ones and maybe even some of the $200. We will see what my family and friends think. If they are interested at that price others will be too.....If they are not.......Well, I will just try to think of something else.

I know that there is a market for the top quality pearls, but that just isn't really what i am looking to do (at least not at this time). So, for now I am just doing a little research and I am picking up books to educate myself a little.

Anyone that has experience in import/export business with China, I would love to hear from you.

Joshua

Wang Zhuo keeps on talking about how she wants to import/export stuff ... She really wants to export cosmetics to China from the states. She seems to think that there is a huge demand.

She may very well be onto something there. I tell you Chinese ladies in China would be very excited for the chance to buy Lancome cosmetics. This is according to my old girlfriend from back in Abu Dhabi years ago, my wife, my stepdaughter who is a beautiful young lady, and their cousin. Lancome is made in USA and they are just wild about it.

Joshua, I don't know much about cosmetics but depending on at what level you want to sell cosmetics perhaps you should look at Avon and Mary Kay franchises. My Lao Po loves the perfume that I bring from the states when I visit. It is one of the fews things that she says she wants from the USA. ( Usually she doesn't want anything but if I press her to tell me. She says perfume). One issue about cosmetics is do the major cosmetics companies have lines that specifically address the wants and needs of Asian women. What work for white women and black women may not work for an Asian woman. I hope I am not getting myself in trouble with the last statement.

Danb

If you've walked around very many department store in China you've seen the huge areas devoted to cosmetics at the FRONT of the store...Now if you can import some brand not readily available or can beat the store's prices it could work...otherwise it would be a tough row to hoe... :lol:

Joshua, I don't know much about cosmetics but depending on at what level you want to sell cosmetics perhaps you should look at Avon and Mary Kay franchises. My Lao Po loves the perfume that I bring from the states when I visit. It is one of the fews things that she says she wants from the USA. ( Usually she doesn't want anything but if I press her to tell me. She says perfume). One issue about cosmetics is do the major cosmetics companies have lines that specifically address the wants and needs of Asian women. What work for white women and black women may not work for an Asian woman. I hope I am not getting myself in trouble with the last statement.

Danb

No, you should not be in trouble with that and it is very true. They want different kinds of cosmetics. It is not as much make-up as skin care products that are big here.

Yes, there are some brands here, but there is still a large demand. As far as Mary Kay and Avon, you may be on to something. We will look more into it.