Well, in Beijing yesterday I went to the Pearl Market and picked up some pearls to take back home to family and friends.....

I want to see what people there would pay for a strand of good Pearls.

The price that I paid as opposed to even the cheapest place on the internet is ridiculous. And it was a A LOT less than the jewelry shops here. So......I have a question of all of you.

Before I tell what I paid I want to know, how much would you expect to pay for a strand of nice quality pearls. How much would you be willing to pay?

Thanks

Joshua

Guest ShaQuaNew

Well, in Beijing yesterday I went to the Pearl Market and picked up some pearls to take back home to family and friends.....

The price that I paid as opposed to even the cheapest place on the internet is ridiculous. And it was a A LOT less than the jewelry shops here. So......I have a question of all of you.

Before I tell what I paid I want to know, how much would you expect to pay for a strand of nice quality pearls. How much would you be willing to pay?

Thanks

Joshua

Now that's a tough one as there are literally hundreds of strains of pearls from different areas of origination; fresh water, cultured, black, white, multi-colored, tahitian, etc. One can pay from a few dollars for some cheap imitations, to several thousand (over ten), for a pearl necklace. Pearls are often faked, and can only be determined real by an expert.

Thanks

Joshua

Now that's a tough one as there are literally hundreds of strains of pearls from different areas of origination; fresh water, cultured, black, white, multi-colored, tahitian, etc. One can pay from a few dollars for some cheap imitations, to several thousand (over ten), for a pearl necklace. Pearls are often faked, and can only be determined real by an expert.

That is true there are many types of pearls out there. These are freshwater(which I know are not as valuable as saltwater) I truly believe that they are real. I know that the pearl market in Beijing is known for selling fake goods, but it is also known as one of the best places to get freshwater pearls in the world. I intend to take them to a professional when I get home and have the checked to make sure that they are real though.

I have done a little research on pearls (Learning more all the time) and I have found from a couple of sources that the China freshwater pearl industry has made huge strides in the recent past. 10 years ago freshwater pearls were know as being poor substitutes for saltwater pearls. Now however they are better quality all the time. Some actually have a higher luster than their saltwater counterparts.

I am by no means looking to sell to anyone on here, I am just curious as to what peoples opinions on pearls are. What would you be willing(want) to pay for a truly beautiful, genuine pearl necklace for your wife/fiancee? I will see if I can figure out how to post some pictures on here so you can see a few of the ones I picked up.

Joshua

Edited by Joshua + Wang Zhuo (see edit history)

Thanks

Joshua

That is true there are many types of pearls out there. These are freshwater(which I know are not as valuable as saltwater) I truly believe that they are real. I know that the pearl market in Beijing is known for selling fake goods, but it is also known as one of the best places to get freshwater pearls in the world. I intend to take them to a professional when I get home and have the checked to make sure that they are real though.

I have done a little research on pearls (Learning more all the time) and I have found from a couple of sources that the China freshwater pearl industry has made huge strides in the recent past. 10 years ago freshwater pearls were know as being poor substitutes for saltwater pearls. Now however they are better quality all the time. Some actually have a higher luster than their saltwater counterparts.

I am by no means looking to sell to anyone on here, I am just curious as to what peoples opinions on pearls are. What would you be willing(want) to pay for a truly beautiful, genuine pearl necklace for your wife/fiancee? I will see if I can figure out how to post some pictures on here so you can see a few of the ones I picked up.

Joshua

Quite easy to tell a real pearl from a fake one...The real one feels gritty when rubbed against your teeth...The fake one smooth...We bought a string of gigantic pearls from a local woman at Sanya for 400 RMB in 2005...She started out asking 1400... :P

For me buying something for a deal is really subjective. As long as you are pleased with the value of your purchase, enjoy it.

That being said! :P

Freshwater pearl prices depend on the name on the felt lined box they are sold in. You will find a world brand name strand will cost you 3 to 5 times of the cost for the same strand at target.

Enjoy them and I am sure you got an excellent deal if that market is the place for freshwater pearls.

For example try going to Boston in the fall and walk the wharf. Fresh 2lb lobster right off the boat cooked in front of you maybe $10 with all the trimmings. OK this was the 80's but I am sure you get the idea.

Thanks

Joshua

Joshua

Quite easy to tell a real pearl from a fake one...The real one feels gritty when rubbed against your teeth...The fake one smooth...We bought a string of gigantic pearls from a local woman at Sanya for 400 RMB in 2005...She started out asking 1400... :P

Yeah, these passed that test.... The only problem with that is that they can use plastic beads and have them covered lightly in nacre. They are "pearls", but not "good" pearls.

Still looking for prices of what people are "willing/wanting" to pay. This is a curiosity issue more than anything. Let me see if I can upload the pictures I have......Honestly Wang Zhuo made a really great picture.

You are absolutely right about purchase price......As long as you are happy with your purchase it is a success. I try to explain that to my fiancee after I bargain things to the lowest possible price......After I make the purchase I throw an extra 10-20 RMB to the salesperson and tell them to have a good day. I am a hard bargainer. I enjoy it. But when I walk away and give them a "tip" I am happy & they are happy.

Success

Capitalism......Ain't it great. Specially when it happens ALL the time in the worlds biggest "Communist" country

Joshua

(OK, can't figure the picture thing out yet, give me some time)

i dont remember the name of the flea market we went to but there is a place in there that caters to a host of famous people who visit beijing. barbara bush, maria shriver, among some other big names.

anyways you should have seen some of the deals going on over at that little market. beautiful sets necklace earings and bracelet...

20-25 usd

Thanks

Joshua

Joshua

Quite easy to tell a real pearl from a fake one...The real one feels gritty when rubbed against your teeth...The fake one smooth...We bought a string of gigantic pearls from a local woman at Sanya for 400 RMB in 2005...She started out asking 1400... :rolleyes:

Yeah, these passed that test.... The only problem with that is that they can use plastic beads and have them covered lightly in nacre. They are "pearls", but not "good" pearls.

Still looking for prices of what people are "willing/wanting" to pay. This is a curiosity issue more than anything. Let me see if I can upload the pictures I have......Honestly Wang Zhuo made a really great picture.

You are absolutely right about purchase price......As long as you are happy with your purchase it is a success. I try to explain that to my fiancee after I bargain things to the lowest possible price......After I make the purchase I throw an extra 10-20 RMB to the salesperson and tell them to have a good day. I am a hard bargainer. I enjoy it. But when I walk away and give them a "tip" I am happy & they are happy.

Success

Capitalism......Ain't it great. Specially when it happens ALL the time in the worlds biggest "Communist" country

Joshua

ill get the name for you of that flea mrket.....

Thanks

Joshua

Joshua

Quite easy to tell a real pearl from a fake one...The real one feels gritty when rubbed against your teeth...The fake one smooth...We bought a string of gigantic pearls from a local woman at Sanya for 400 RMB in 2005...She started out asking 1400... :rolleyes:

Success

Joshua

ill get the name for you of that flea mrket.....

thats the place...

The Pearl Market

very famous place...

im told most all the fresh water pearls come from china and be careful not to get ripped off at that place, be sure to bring a mandarin speaking person with you.

that place was one of the most fun times ive had shopping.

if you have not been to a chinese flea market you dont know what your missing :)

Edited by izus (see edit history)

im expecting to pay for good real pearls around 75 to 300 usd i guess. But im no real pearl expert and i cant tell from the real one vs the fake ones. i expect the pearls are alot cheaper...whats the price range?

Well, I bought 10 strands at about 6 dollars a piece for 7-8mm grade A pearls..... Really nice, but not perfect. They really are nicer than most of the ones we have seen in the jewelry stores. They are mostly round but not perfect and they have a good luster(at least until you put them next to the better ones). We bought 1 necklace of the best that we could find at 40 dollars They are grade AAA+ 8-9mm. They are Much nicer than some of the ones we saw here in the jewelry stores for almost 1000 dollars.

Now, jewelry stores here are really TOO expensive, so I hate using that as a guide. I was along the same lines of paying about 100 to 250 dollars for a nice set. When we went to the market I planned on buying some for my girl and I was fully willing to pay that.

The pearl market is on the fifth floor. The mall that it is located in is one of the most famous malls in the world to buy fake designer goods.

Yes, the markets there are an experience. I must say that I am pretty good at bargaining though. More than one salesgirl looked like they were about to hit me when I left. But I know that they would not sell to me if they were losing money, So I got what I wanted and they made a profit (although not as much as they would like). If anyone has questions about what they should pay for stuff I can give you some good ideas of what stuff should cost.

Joshua

If anyone has questions about what they should pay for stuff I can give you some good ideas of what stuff should cost.

Joshua

usually about 10 -15% of their original asking price :lol:

Haha, that is about right..... The scarves that they wanted 200 RMB....we paid 15RMB. Ties.....10-15RMB The squeeky baby shoes....20RMB. My fake Mont Blanc Pen......35RMB( I actually thought I got taken on that one, but It is probably the best pen I have ever had......)

We have lot of fun buying at the market there. Anna talks about it all the time. I just arrived in Guangzhou today. I am going to shop for pearls here too and see if they are about the same (or maybe even less). I guess there is some jewelry shop here that is pretty cool.

Joshua

I paid about $150 for a set of two pearl earrings seven years ago in Abu Dhabi. Guess I should have waited and bought for her when we got to China - but we were not going to Beijing but to Dalian.

My dad paid several thousand for an awesome string of pearls for my mother 35 years ago, she has had them re-strung since then and they are still very beautiful, of course.

If I had the money I would like to buy an expensive string of pearls for my wife in China - they sure would look good on her.