Need Maryland Individual State Background Check for Wife's Visa bu

OK My wife is in China. She is trying to immigrate back to the US. Our attornies filed with the NVC. They sent them back the bar codes for the forms and request for additional documentation. Since my wife was in the US for about 5 years or so they are requesting a Maryland State Police Record. My wife has never been arrested or any kind of criminal/civil trouble. However, the state police will only issue certified letters through a completed fingerprint card. The problem is that she is in China. I'm also concerend that she probably won't do it properly and it will become a back and forth bullshit in the mail.

I found various public records systems online where you can pay a small fee and obtain a record on a person. Our attorney said the NVC won't accept this. The attorney assistant said the attorney can email the police station and get it for us but it's a $150.00 fee????

How can I get a background check like the attorney can. This seems weird?

I am suprised by this.

DOS rules on police certs:

How to obtain a police certificate

1. Determine from which countries an applicant is required to obtain police certificates. The table below will assist in determining from where an applicant must obtain police certificates.

Note: Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in...195.html#police

This is NVC's own webpage on DOS website.

Makes no sense, Name checks are handled done at all steps of the process by DHS, and DOS, they should be able to get this from FBI.

First, re-contact the Maryland Police Office and ask if they will accept a DHS fingerprint card instead of their own.

If they won't accept any but their own, ask if they will accept THEIR card prepped by a DHS officer in China, at a Chinese Consulate. If SO, then - SCAN in a fingerprint card, email it to her.

She can print it out, get it done at a US Consulate via DHS, have a DHS officer certify it, and send it out via prepaid EMS. It'll take some wrangling.

What US consulate district is she in, in China ?

If the Maryland Police Office will accept a DHS fingerprint card filled out by a DHS officer, then you have some leeway. The trick is to bring a prepaid EMS envelope , addressed to the Maryland Police Department, into a DHS office at a consulate, and have the DHS Officer, when done with fingerprinting, PUT the card INTO the pack and send it out in the mail.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

First, re-contact the Maryland Police Office and ask if they will accept a DHS fingerprint card instead of their own.

If they won't accept any but their own, ask if they will accept THEIR card prepped by a DHS officer in China, at a Chinese Consulate. If SO, then - SCAN in a fingerprint card, email it to her.

She can print it out, get it done at a US Consulate via DHS, have a DHS officer certify it, and send it out via prepaid EMS. It'll take some wrangling.

What US consulate district is she in, in China ?

Exactly WHAT type of visa is she applying for?

If they will accept a DHS fingerprint card filled out by a DHS officer, then you have some leeway. The trick is to bring a prepaid EMS envelope , addressed to the Maryland Police Department, into a DHS office at a consulate, and have the DHS Officer, when done with fingerprinting, PUT the card INTO the pack and send it out in the mail.

Yes the consulate should be able to do an FD-258 (Finger Print Card)

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/forms/description-tnfd258.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/pdf/fpcardb.pdf

dnoblett - ya - it wasn't a question of IF they'll fingerprint her in China, , but if the Maryland Police Office will accept a fingerprint card from DHS.

dnoblett - ya - it wasn't a question of IF they'll fingerprint her in China, , but if the Maryland Police Office will accept a fingerprint card from DHS.

I would be willing to bet that they will or have since it is being done at a higher level of government. But then again what do I know...........

I would be willing to bet that they will or have since it is being done at a higher level of government. But then again what do I know...........

Nope - the Houston Police Dept wouldn't accept Jiaying's fingerprints from the DHS (she had scarring on her fingers) - we had to go downtown and get her police report ourselves. Of course, that was a lot easier with her here.

I'm sure that was a rare situation, though.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I wouldn't make that bet.

I'd, instead, make a phone call, and suss it out.