Foreigners at hotels in China

Guest forrestg

Guest forrestg

I have it from good sources foreigners are allowed to stay at any legally-operated hotel in China. I am trying to find this in actual print from a government source, so I can convince my fiancee and her parents of this matter. Does anybody know where I can find this information?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WenDylan

I have it from good sources foreigners are allowed to stay at any legally-operated hotel in China. I am trying to find this in actual print from a government source, so I can convince my fiancee and her parents of this matter. Does anybody know where I can find this information?

I am really confused. Why couldn't you stay at any hotel/motel where someone would want to collect money from a foreigner, or do business with a foreigner. Maybe I am misunderstanding things...

I am really confused. Why couldn't you stay at any hotel/motel where someone would want to collect money from a foreigner, or do business with a foreigner. Maybe I am misunderstanding things...

Please explain a little more..... what is their confusion about this? And as far as I know there is nothing that states that we can only stay at certain hotels.

By the way it looks like you are new to CFL. I would like to welcome you here and hope that you have a good time and get many questions answered.

Welcome.

I suspect that if a local hotel is telling your fiancee that foreigners can't stay there, it is probably the hotel's decision and not any govt policy.

Joe

It certainly WAS the case that foreigners could NOT stay at certain hotels in China. Is this still the case??? Is it decided on a city or province or country wide basis/criteria??? :huh:

My experience is that when you are with your Chinese fiancee/wife you are no longer really a foreigner...Is that perfectly clear??? :blink:

Let me give one example from our travels. On the famous Guilin to Yangshuo boat trip on the Li River there are both "foreigner" boats and Chinese boats...Guess who pays more??? :lol: ...We got a deal because we had connections and went on a foreigner boat at Chinese boat prices... :D In the well-known travel towns like these I'm quite sure a foreigner can stay anywhere...But in areas that see few foreigners??? :unsure:

Wish I could be more specific but when all is said and done... B)

I DON'T KNOW... :P

It certainly WAS the case that foreigners could NOT stay at certain hotels in China. Is this still the case??? Is it decided on a city or province or country wide basis/criteria??? :huh:

My experience is that when you are with your Chinese fiancee/wife you are no longer really a foreigner...Is that perfectly clear??? :blink:

Let me give one example from our travels. On the famous Guilin to Yangshuo boat trip on the Li River there are both "foreigner" boats and Chinese boats...Guess who pays more??? :lol: ...We got a deal because we had connections and went on a foreigner boat at Chinese boat prices... :D In the well-known travel towns like these I'm quite sure a foreigner can stay anywhere...But in areas that see few foreigners??? :unsure:

Wish I could be more specific but when all is said and done... B)

I DON'T KNOW... :P

I agree with Roger - he doesn't know. But I think that hotels which accept foreigners will handle your registration with the police (or not). SO that technically, these are the hotels which have a permit for foreigners. However, there are also other hotels which will accept your money.

To play it completely safe, register with the police wherever you stay. But most of us don't even do that.

Guest ShaQuaNew

The one major change I've noticed, is that ALL hotels now require a copy of the foreigner's passport to check-in. This was previously an optional law. Of course, if you're there with a Chinese person, they can rent the room for you. They're more interested in getting the bill paid and having completed paperwork....

:P

Back 10 years ago when I was in China this was a valid law. We could only stay at certain hotels. It would cost $75-100 per night and up. Many rooms chinese would be $ 20-30 not as nice mind you. Non Chinese would pay double for a plane ticket also. My girlfriend had me stand outside a hotel in Haikou on Hainin island while she booked the room so we could stay at chinese price. This was back in the time of the friendship stores where an american could shop for goods that the average chinese was not allowed to buy. Everything has been relaxed today. From what I have read if you are in a rural area and people have less exposure to nonchinese there could be discrimination in dealing with nonchinese . In large cities today there should be no problem. Have your chinese friend make all the reservations and she could make clear you are an american and see where it goes.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

Americans in China, who are not staying at hotels, including Americans who are staying with friends or relatives, must register with local police as soon as they arrive. Otherwise, they may be fined up to 500 RMB per day.

Back 10 years ago when I was in China this was a valid law. We could only stay at certain hotels. It would cost $75-100 per night and up. Many rooms chinese would be $ 20-30 not as nice mind you. Non Chinese would pay double for a plane ticket also. My girlfriend had me stand outside a hotel in Haikou on Hainin island while she booked the room so we could stay at chinese price. This was back in the time of the friendship stores where an american could shop for goods that the average chinese was not allowed to buy. Everything has been relaxed today. From what I have read if you are in a rural area and people have less exposure to nonchinese there could be discrimination in dealing with nonchinese . In large cities today there should be no problem. Have your chinese friend make all the reservations and she could make clear you are an american and see where it goes.

Americans in China, who are not staying at hotels, including Americans who are staying with friends or relatives, must register with local police as soon as they arrive. Otherwise, they may be fined up to 500 RMB per day.

I can say that I have had no problem at any of the Hotels, but then again Ada did all of the talking and I just provide the needed info such as letting them see my Passport. I have stayed in Shenzhen and one other city, Dazhou, Sichuan province (not many Americans here). Neither place did I have any problems, but my fiancee was with me.

Edited by Corbin (see edit history)

The law say you must register with the local police. Now I have never done this in any of the 7 cities I have stayed in and haven't been fined(yet).

I usually book online and didn't have any problem when I showed up by myself to register with my CheapTickets.com receipt. The bastard at the hotel trys to cheat even my chinese wife, so I get a better price online.

You're supposed to register with the local police and not have any lady friend stay in your hotel...but I don't know anyone that actually follow the law.

Guest ShaQuaNew

The law say you must register with the local police. Now I have never done this in any of the 7 cities I have stayed in and haven't been fined(yet).

I usually book online and didn't have any problem when I showed up by myself to register with my CheapTickets.com receipt. The bastard at the hotel trys to cheat even my chinese wife, so I get a better price online.

You're supposed to register with the local police and not have any lady friend stay in your hotel...but I don't know anyone that actually follow the law.

I've never seen a law or hotel in China that requires a visitor here on temporary visa to register with the local police. Sounds like a lot of hooey. If you want to stay in a hotel, the best thing to do is walk in the front door and check-in. They will request your passport and likely a deposit. Many of the hotels in larger cities have English speakers, but if you don't speak Chinese, probably better to have a Chinese speaker with you to avoid complication.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I've never seen a law or hotel in China that requires a visitor here on temporary visa to register with the local police. Sounds like a lot of hooey. If you want to stay in a hotel, the best thing to do is walk in the front door and check-in. They will request your passport and likely a deposit. Many of the hotels in larger cities have English speakers, but if you don't speak Chinese, probably better to have a Chinese speaker with you to avoid complication.

This is what the State dept has to say:

What David had to say;

5. Unless staying at a hotel, register your living location with the local police the next day. I've not stayed at hotels really, except for a trip to Yunnan but the hotel must be approved for foreigners... of course you can find some that will take you who are not approved and in which case you want to only go back late at night with a black coat on and hood... you know, stay completely inconspicuous

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=401934

. . . and Rogerinca

First, the issue of staying with one's woman at her home and the issue of registration with the local police, have been 'beat-up' pretty good in this recent/current thread in another forum here at CFL:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28777

Here is my executive summary of the issue: While the law does require a foreigner to register with the local police, [most] here, have not registered, and most have not reported any problems in this regard. I say most, because no matter what the subject/topic, and whatever the consensus of opinion may be within this forum, there will always be someone who will provide an exception to the most commonly experienced practice. Again, it is the law; however, I depend on my Lao Po's knowledge and comfort within her own community; and in this regard, she has dismissed this as an issue for me to be concerned about.

Accordingly, if one stays at a hotel, wherein one would supply his/her passport at check-in time, the hotel will most often accomplish the registration automatically. Again, I emphasize, most of the time. If you stay with your fianc¨¦e or spouse, it then becomes your responsibility. But again, this is one¡¯s personal decision. I have never registered when staying at my wife¡¯s home, and many others here have never done this, and most have never experienced any repercussions. If one worries about such stuff, and if an individual¡¯s personality leans toward wrist-wringing, then by all means, those individuals should do whatever gives them the greatest comfort.

Guest ShaQuaNew

This is what the State dept has to say:

What David had to say;

5. Unless staying at a hotel, register your living location with the local police the next day. I've not stayed at hotels really, except for a trip to Yunnan but the hotel must be approved for foreigners... of course you can find some that will take you who are not approved and in which case you want to only go back late at night with a black coat on and hood... you know, stay completely inconspicuous

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=401934

. . . and Rogerinca

First, the issue of staying with one's woman at her home and the issue of registration with the local police, have been 'beat-up' pretty good in this recent/current thread in another forum here at CFL:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28777

Here is my executive summary of the issue: While the law does require a foreigner to register with the local police, [most] here, have not registered, and most have not reported any problems in this regard. I say most, because no matter what the subject/topic, and whatever the consensus of opinion may be within this forum, there will always be someone who will provide an exception to the most commonly experienced practice. Again, it is the law; however, I depend on my Lao Po's knowledge and comfort within her own community; and in this regard, she has dismissed this as an issue for me to be concerned about.

Accordingly, if one stays at a hotel, wherein one would supply his/her passport at check-in time, the hotel will most often accomplish the registration automatically. Again, I emphasize, most of the time. If you stay with your fianc¨¦e or spouse, it then becomes your responsibility. But again, this is one¡¯s personal decision. I have never registered when staying at my wife¡¯s home, and many others here have never done this, and most have never experienced any repercussions. If one worries about such stuff, and if an individual¡¯s personality leans toward wrist-wringing, then by all means, those individuals should do whatever gives them the greatest comfort.

May I see a showing of hands of all those that have visited China and registered with the local police?

How many?

No-one does that. I was required for my Z-visa to register with the local police in Nanjing; so, I went there to register. No-one there had a clue about what to do. Later I was able to find one person at the office that located a form from a rarely opened drawer. They, copied my passport and I filled it out.

Now, regarding staying in a hotel. You can usually always find a better deal when you have a Chinese person with you, especially if they are local. Let them handle the negotiations.

Those travelling to China on tourist visa are requried to complete a form that indicates your local contact address and telephone number. You can get that information from your partner. Unless you plan to move here, there is no need to go through registering with police, etc. I've never heard a single solitary tale or instance of someone having to pay a fine for failing to register with the local police while here on tourist visa.

May I see a showing of hands of all those that have visited China and registered with the local police?

How many?

No-one does that. I was required for my Z-visa to register with the local police in Nanjing; so, I went there to register. No-one there had a clue about what to do. Later I was able to find one person at the office that located a form from a rarely opened drawer. They, copied my passport and I filled it out.

Now, regarding staying in a hotel. You can usually always find a better deal when you have a Chinese person with you, especially if they are local. Let them handle the negotiations.

Those travelling to China on tourist visa are requried to complete a form that indicates your local contact address and telephone number. You can get that information from your partner. Unless you plan to move here, there is no need to go through registering with police, etc. I've never heard a single solitary tale or instance of someone having to pay a fine for failing to register with the local police while here on tourist visa.

True, true, but there are a few who do. Almost hooey, but with a little bit of background.

I've never registered either, and I have my doubts about whether a hotel would consistently do that for, as some claim.

Guest ShaQuaNew

True, true, but there are a few who do. Almost hooey, but with a little bit of background.

I've never registered either, and I have my doubts about whether a hotel would consistently do that for, as some claim.

Lan often reminds me to simply be nice and smile to people. If you piss them off, you may have to start up the friend network calling plan....

....the friend network calling plan is what happens when Chinese people are about to get a ticket, have and accident, or in some kind of trouble. They begin name-dropping about having a brother, uncle, cousin, sister, father, working in government.

Keep in touch with the local people. Most of the rules in Chinese cities are conducted ad-hoc. The only real requirement for approved hotels is for them to copy the foreigner's passport and have them sign a form. I've never once had a problem, and have visited several cities and provinces in the country.