Vonage phone and Magic Jack

I have Vonage Internet phone service (VoIP). If I take the phone adapter (small in size, 3" X 4" X 1") and a small phone to china would I be able to use it there when I am connected to high speed Internet. It has unlimited phone service to the US and Canada, and 2 cents per minute to China. Did any of you use it?

How about Magic Jack. Do any of you have experience with MJ ?

Ken88

I have Vonage Internet phone service (VoIP). If I take the phone adapter (small in size, 3" X 4" X 1") and a small phone to china would I be able to use it there when I am connected to high speed Internet. It has unlimited phone service to the US and Canada, and 2 cents per minute to China. Did any of you use it?

Ken88

No, but Skype works fine from China.

Ken88

No, but Skype works fine from China.

This is indeed true.

I have also heard that the MagicJack works fine also.

Ken88 - Vonage ATA devices work in China.

Magic Jack works as well, but I've chosen not to use it.

Your petition and my petition are in different 'time ticks' at the moment, where I have to prove that I call my wife. I prove that with showing call detail records from my phone bill. Magic Jack doesn't do call detail records on USA to USA calls...

Be Good !

Ken88

Hello ken88,

I would think that it will work wherever you can get a high speed internet connection.

I use a service from a company called BroadVoice ( www.broadvoice.com ). The features are great, I can use my own wifi voip phone to make and receive calls anywhere in the world where I can find an open high speed wireless connection. I can access my call log of all incoming and outgoing calls and download the records. I use it in China to do business and stay in touch with family here in the states all the time. The only bad thing about this company is that I would not rate their customer service as being great, I would say adequate at best. If you can overlook this they have a personal use service that allows you to call 21 countries including China as much as you want for $20 a month!

I have a business service plan that does not include service to China so when I use it to call there it is 3 cents per minute. I will definitely get a personal service phone plan for my sweet fianc¨¦e Haiqing when she gets here so she can stay in touch with family and friends as much as she wants. For $20 a month I think it will make her a very happy lady!

Best of luck,

Bob

Your petition and my petition are in different 'time ticks' at the moment, where I have to prove that I call my wife. I prove that with showing call detail records from my phone bill. Magic Jack doesn't do call detail records on USA to USA calls...

Be Good !

It was my understanding he wanted to be able to call the USA while he was in China using the magicjack.

Ibbtalk give me logs, also so does ecallchina phone card which I use every morning while driving to work when I talk to lao po

Any IP phone device (Like Vonage, Magic Jack, Voitel etc..) will work on China High Speed internet.

I sell Voitel service, and know the box works overseas many people using the service buy 2 boxes and send one to family overseas, the box looks like you are calling from a US phone number even though the box is in China or Taiwan, Vonage uses a similar box.

http://www.marketamerica.com/danyu/index.c...IP.voipOverview

Be Good !

It was my understanding he wanted to be able to call the USA while he was in China using the magicjack.

Ibbtalk give me logs, also so does ecallchina phone card which I use every morning while driving to work when I talk to lao po

Yup - that was my understanding as well. I noted there'd prolly be a different 'usage' between the two uf us, and it centers around logs.

I've had a device from Broadvox that I've carried with me for almost 6 years now - works in China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Italy, Scotland and the USA places that I travel to for work. On several China Trips, I've carried it AND a Vonage ATA device. For me, it's not an issue of price on calls to China - it's an issue of logging.

My apologies for the veiled disparity - it's late, and I'm getting cranky.

• 2 months later...
Guest ShaQuaNew

Ken88

Yes. You can use your Vonage box in China. All you need is an internet connection. I use mine nearly every single day to both call and receive calls from the US. One of the nice features with the Vonage box, is the power supply adapter allows for input of Chinese voltages. So, you can plug it right into the wall. Of course, you may need a plug to outlet adapter to accomodate the ground plug, but that's it.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

All VoIP boxes will work in China or anywhere in the world you have an internet connection. The only thing to consider is that the slower the connection the more likely chance you might have quality issues. VoIP runs on any DSL, cable or FIOS type connection.

Majic Jack on the otherhand is not a VoIp box. It is a VoIP device, but requires a PC or Intel Mac and a broadband connection to use it. This is because the PC runs a software program to enable the device. It is supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Intel Mac OS. My guess is these are the English versions of the OS. You would need to check with Magic Jack to see if they support other languages. So for it to work in China successfully, you will probably need a PC with English Windows XP. If this is for your trip, you could always carry a laptop.

No matter which box or device you use, it will need a broadband connection. Hotels in China have the internet, but sometimes charge you for the connection. My first trip they wanted 5 yuan a day. This came out to 8 dollars US for a two week trip. It was more cost effective for me to visit an Internet cafe once a week. The last time, not all hotels had Internet, but the last one had it as a free service. Of course, if you are staying with family, finding an Internet connection is not an issue.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I've used vonage in China on many trips, and it has worked out very well for my needs. One problem I found (particularily staying at some hotels) has been a bandwidth issue. Most of the problems I had existed with the time I was calling home (ie-- I was arriving home around the time many other workers in the steel mills were arriving home, and everyone was calling arround the same time. It did however work, but maybe you might have some clarity issues.

I've used Skype too, along with the both a Vonage router and the vonage softphone approach (coupled with a cheap USB telephone). Vonage softphone worked nice, since incoming calls to my USA number could be forwarded to my softphone number, and basically anyone could reach me (provided I was at my computer in my room and such).