even/odd license plate rule

Guest ShaQuaNew

The point is that not only are you not getting it through a filter, you're not getting it at all, at least not all of it. You ARE fortunate to be living and working in a country as culturally diverse and fascinating as China. I envy you that. I really do. But with that fortune comes the limitations and reality of living in a communist country, including being ill-informed about much of what's happening there. Your eyes and ears are only so big and can only see and hear so much.

I think it's great that China has the Olympics. I honestly hope it goes well and they're allowed to show the better sides of their nature to the world. But we shouldn't pretend for a minute that the worse sides don't exist as well.

I think it's great also. You would be quite surprised what you might find after you've tried walking in my shoes for a few months. As I mentioned previously, the news I get is directly from the people of this great country of China. There is truly no better source for information in the world. News obtained from any media source is tainted; that includes and especially applies to the US.

Zhong guo, Ja jo

The point is that not only are you not getting it through a filter, you're not getting it at all, at least not all of it. You ARE fortunate to be living and working in a country as culturally diverse and fascinating as China. I envy you that. I really do. But with that fortune comes the limitations and reality of living in a communist country, including being ill-informed about much of what's happening there. Your eyes and ears are only so big and can only see and hear so much.

I think it's great that China has the Olympics. I honestly hope it goes well and they're allowed to show the better sides of their nature to the world. But we shouldn't pretend for a minute that the worse sides don't exist as well.

I think it's great also. You would be quite surprised what you might find after you've tried walking in my shoes for a few months. As I mentioned previously, the news I get is directly from the people of this great country of China. There is truly no better source for information in the world. News obtained from any media source is tainted; that includes and especially applies to the US.

Zhong guo, Ja jo

Can you talk to the workers and tell them what you make as far a your wage there lol lol I am sure they told you not to discuss it with the Chinese :rolleyes: I have been to a few countries for longer than what you have now lol

Guest ShaQuaNew

Can you talk to the workers and tell them what you make as far a your wage there lol lol I am sure they told you not to discuss it with the Chinese :ph34r: I have been to a few countries for longer than what you have now lol

Actually better things to talk and laugh about here than discussing my wage; like some of the strange perceptions that predominate this website.

:D

Zhong guo, Ja jo

I honestly hope you enjoy your blissful little chunk of China Jesse. :unsure:

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's amazing what you can do in a dictatorship.

What's amazed me since moving and working in China, is the incredible lack of oppression. There is not even the slightest hint of an oppressed or pressured people.

The people of China, and in this case Beijing, are not only complying with the government request to lower the number of vehicles on the road. Anywhere and everywhere it's apparent that the people are doing this willingly and going above and beyond. Thousands of families and friends now commute together. Where there was once one person in a car, now two and three share. The government only requires that the people follow the odd-even license plate mandate. America tried voluntary car-pooling. Didn't ever seem to get a foot-hold in a country where the people are perceived as selfish and self-serving.

Now, in contrast, trying to do something like that in America would bring out the worst of American attitudes. Ask an American to drive every-other-day rather than every day; no way, no how. How dare the government make such a request. Since when is doing something for others a part of the American way? ......

....well, it used to be, but it now seems long forgotten.....

It's interesting that the voices of the people of China are about helping one another; about making a good impression upon the people that visit here. It's not about the sacrifices the people that live here make, it's about how it can be better for their families and for others.

you nailed it Jesse... you mean the spoiled American way!!!!? ......

there is a reason why people hate us as a nation in this world.

we could learn alot from China as a country working together as a nation of people.....

You're right Bill. It's pretty sad really, but not an incurable malady. Hope all is well with you and family.

:unsure:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Dave, I agree with ShaQua. In talking to the Chinese people, they are proud of their country, and would do anything to avoid presenting it in a bad light to the outside world.

Certainly there are problems, but the odd/even request is not one of the problems. Anything the government does to improve China, the people are in full support.

The complaints about the government are for the government officials who take bribes, and yes they complain about the poor construction in Sichuan, but we complain about similar problems with the US government every day too.

The big difference is pride in their country. Maybe it is only me, and that is why I should move to China, but I see selfish people every day who believe the government owes them this or that. I see people filing lawsuits for things that any reasonable person would accept as the individuals own responsibility.

It is not the case that america has no good people, there are many in america who are responsible, and who love at least what america used to be.

The difference is that in China, people hold individuals responsible for their own behaviour (don't try to sue someone because your soup was too hot and you spilled it on yourself) and in general they are proud of their China .. of MY China.

My wife often talks of what a good man Premier Wen is .. when was the last time you heard ANYONE say what a good man we have leading our country?

Dave, I agree with ShaQua. In talking to the Chinese people, they are proud of their country, and would do anything to avoid presenting it in a bad light to the outside world.

Certainly there are problems, but the odd/even request is not one of the problems. Anything the government does to improve China, the people are in full support.

The complaints about the government are for the government officials who take bribes, and yes they complain about the poor construction in Sichuan, but we complain about similar problems with the US government every day too.

The big difference is pride in their country. Maybe it is only me, and that is why I should move to China, but I see selfish people every day who believe the government owes them this or that. I see people filing lawsuits for things that any reasonable person would accept as the individuals own responsibility.

It is not the case that america has no good people, there are many in america who are responsible, and who love at least what america used to be.

The difference is that in China, people hold individuals responsible for their own behaviour (don't try to sue someone because your soup was too hot and you spilled it on yourself) and in general they are proud of their China .. of MY China.

My wife often talks of what a good man Premier Wen is .. when was the last time you heard ANYONE say what a good man we have leading our country?

I don't disagree with anything you've said cred. I have no doubt the Beijingers are for the most part very happy to accomodate the restrictions related to the Olympics. And I know they have intense pride in their country, as they should. But those things aren't what I was taking issue with Jesse over. He portrayed China as a blissful land, free of suppression and pressure, offering his contacts and experiences as proof. I merely pointed out the fact that just because he hasn't met people in his social or business circles who are suppressed or pressured doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere, because it certainly is.

My point is that he's living in somewhat of a vacuum in China,information-wise. He chooses to be happy in that vacuum. Kudos to him. Just don't expect the rest of us to do the same.

Guest ShaQuaNew

More power to 'em, I hope the Olympics go well.

I hope so also. There is a great deal of support and hope from many people seeking the good side of life.

:D

Guest Mike and Lily

I honestly hope you enjoy your blissful little chunk of China Jesse. :blush:

I don't disagree with anything you've said cred. I have no doubt the Beijingers are for the most part very happy to accomodate the restrictions related to the Olympics. And I know they have intense pride in their country, as they should. But those things aren't what I was taking issue with Jesse over. He portrayed China as a blissful land, free of suppression and pressure, offering his contacts and experiences as proof. I merely pointed out the fact that just because he hasn't met people in his social or business circles who are suppressed or pressured doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere, because it certainly is.

My point is that he's living in somewhat of a vacuum in China,information-wise. He chooses to be happy in that vacuum. Kudos to him. Just don't expect the rest of us to do the same.

Have you met people in China that are "suppressed or pressured" Dave? If not, you are relying on the liberally biased news media and living in a similar vacuum. Personally, I would have a greater respect for a point of view based on experience as to one based on news media reports.

Edited by Mike and Lily (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I honestly hope you enjoy your blissful little chunk of China Jesse. :wacko:

Have you met people in China that are "suppressed or pressured" Dave? If not, you are relying on the liberally biased news media and living in a similar vacuum. Personally, I would have a greater respect for a point of view based on experience as to one based on news media reports.

I certainly agree with your observation. Having previously lived in the US for many years, I remember a time when the citizens were proud and ready to lend a helping hand to those in need. Now mind you, I'm speaking of a country and people before 1970. While there are still a great many US patriots who are both proud of country and ready to give in the way JFK requested, "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but..."

I remember those days, and those people. It's sad that those days are long forgotten and would argue that those days are unlikely to ever return. Now measure that in contrast with China, it's government and it's people. Certainly the people of China complain about things, like the lack of clean water, clean air and safe food, but they've also learned to live with it. Changes are being made.

What's most notable to those that visit China for any extended period and spend time interracting with its citizens, is the amazing sense of unity, pride and patriotism that is shared from one province to another. I must admit that its catching, and quite nice to be around a positive minded and caring people that always seem to find upbeat ways to express themselves. Now measure that with the whining and complaining that is common place in the US about anything and everything. The Chinese people are strong and take the responsibility of their day to day lives upon their own shoulders.

By the way dave, if you think I'm living in a vacuum, you might want to try it for a while. Of course, it's your option to continue painting positive perceptions in a negative light. For me, I choose to seek the upbeat side.

:shutup:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest WenDylan

I certainly agree with your observation. Having previously lived in the US for many years, I remember a time when the citizens were proud and ready to lend a helping hand to those in need. Now mind you, I'm speaking of a country and people before 1970. While there are still a great many US patriots who are both proud of country and ready to give in the way JFK requested, "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but..."

I remember those days, and those people. It's sad that those days are long forgotten and would argue that those days are unlikely to ever return. Now measure that in contrast with China, it's government and it's people. Certainly the people of China complain about things, like the lack of clean water, clean air and safe food, but they've also learned to live with it. Changes are being made.

What's most notable to those that visit China for any extended period and spend time interracting with its citizens the amazing sense of unity and patirotism that is shared from one province to another. I must admit that its catching, and quite nice to be around a positive minded and caring people that always seem to find another way to express themselves rather than whining and complaining about what their government did or did not do for them. The Chinese people are strong and take the responsibility of their day to day lives upon their own shoulders.

:shutup:

Perhaps that is why I am glad to have two homes. I am proud of my nice little spread in Oklahoma. I do my part, as best as I can for my little America and I feel that even as a small town police officer, I can at least serve my country, for just a little salary, and be completely satisfied that all I went to school for was only to better my community. I never did it for the money, otherwise I would definitely have found a job that could pay off those pesky student loans that don't ever go away.

On the other hand, I am so proud to have my lao po, from somewhere so far away. And just as it was a miracle how we met, it really brings me closer as a person not just to my country, but her country as well. The government and economic systems are so different, yet the goals are the same. To serve human kind, to the best of its ability. The only real difference is the quality of life in which each place offers, but as I always say... we as the USA are a young country, and China has so much history that even with the mistakes and challenges we share, that is what we each bring differently to this planet. It we were all the same, I don't think anything would work right at all.

I am happy no matter where I am and when I visited Wendy in China I could have just stayed there, if it wasn't for my dependence on weekly injections. But I suppose God has his will, and his ways. Perhaps there is meaning behind the madness. I am just thankful for everyday I am here, and everyday that the world is in peace... even if it just my little part of the world sometimes.

I received a report of people being UNMUTUAL toward each other in this thread... :D

Everybody knows the rules... :huh: NO... :bangin: And everybody abides by them at all times... :roller: :roller: :roller:

But seriously let's agree to disagree in a kinder and gentler way... :pash: and let me get back to my nap time... B)

Ahhh...I get it now. Silly me, :Dah: I've stumble into a fantasy world thread. :P One where everything's wonderful in China and all the people in every province,city,town and village are completely free to air what few complaints they may have in a flowery town square :blink: with balloons and cupcakes. With no fear of reprisal from local authorities who are happy to stand by selling lemonade and dumplings as the local populace congregates to sing Kumbaya and celebrate the lack of repression and pressure.

And this little fantasy world has a liberals-only world press that takes it upon itself to make up,out of wholecloth, stories about repression and pressure that don't exist anywhere in the 22 Provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 2 special districts, and Taiwan.

And in this fantasy world lives a Pied Piper :D who knows everything that goes on in all 3.7 million square miles of China and what all 1.3 billion people are thinking because,well, he lives there damnit and he has his finger on the pulse of it all. :o

And should we let the fact that he's only "lived" there for the last month or two bother us when he says he knows all this? NO! Why? Because it's a fanasty silly. If this Pied Piper of China claims to have been to each province,city,town and village and spoken to all 1.3 billion people, who are we to question that. Do you tug on Superman's cape? :V: Do you spit in the wind? :yay: Do you pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger? :rolleyes: Do you even mess around with Jim? :D NO,NO,NO and NO I say? :D

It's a nice little world this Pied Piper and his followers live in. :) And a nice place to VISIT. But, I prefer to LIVE in the real world. ;) So I'll head back out to the real-world threads and see what they hold. ;)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Ahhh...I get it now. Silly me, :) I've stumble into a fantasy world thread. :P One where everything's wonderful in China and all the people in every province,city,town and village are completely free to air what few complaints they may have in a flowery town square :blink: with balloons and cupcakes. With no fear of reprisal from local authorities who are happy to stand by selling lemonade and dumplings as the local populace congregates to sing Kumbaya and celebrate the lack of repression and pressure.

And this little fantasy world has a liberals-only world press that takes it upon itself to make up,out of wholecloth, stories about repression and pressure that don't exist anywhere in the 22 Provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 2 special districts, and Taiwan.

And in this fantasy world lives a Pied Piper :D who knows everything that goes on in all 3.7 million square miles of China and what all 1.3 billion people are thinking because,well, he lives there damnit and he has his finger on the pulse of it all. :o

And should we let the fact that he's only "lived" there for the last month or two bother us when he says he knows all this? NO! Why? Because it's a fanasty silly. If this Pied Piper of China claims to have been to each province,city,town and village and spoken to all 1.3 billion people, who are we to question that. Do you tug on Superman's cape? :V: Do you spit in the wind? :Dah: Do you pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger? :rolleyes: Do you even mess around with Jim? :D NO,NO,NO and NO I say? :D

It's a nice little world this Pied Piper and his followers live in. ;) And a nice place to VISIT. But, I prefer to LIVE in the real world. ;) So I'll head back out to the real-world threads and see what they hold. ;)

Okay Dave got in the last word... :yay: