even/odd license plate rule

anyone that knows BeiJing streets will find this unbelievable...

they were surprised of the amazing difference of the amount of automobiles that were on the road after the even/odd license plate rule went into effect sunday morning .

http://2008zhichiaoyun.blog.sohu.com/95025449.html

even/odd is not a new concept. I remember during the gas shortage in 78-79 San Diego same type rule. You could only buy gas if it was your day. Kept the lines shorter. Hope it works for their air quality.

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's amazing what you can do in a dictatorship.

What's amazed me since moving and working in China, is the incredible lack of oppression. There is not even the slightest hint of an oppressed or pressured people.

The people of China, and in this case Beijing, are not only complying with the government request to lower the number of vehicles on the road. Anywhere and everywhere it's apparent that the people are doing this willingly and going above and beyond. Thousands of families and friends now commute together. Where there was once one person in a car, now two and three share. The government only requires that the people follow the odd-even license plate mandate. America tried voluntary car-pooling. Didn't ever seem to get a foot-hold in a country where the people are perceived as selfish and self-serving.

Now, in contrast, trying to do something like that in America would bring out the worst of American attitudes. Ask an American to drive every-other-day rather than every day; no way, no how. How dare the government make such a request. Since when is doing something for others a part of the American way? ......

....well, it used to be, but it now seems long forgotten.....

It's interesting that the voices of the people of China are about helping one another; about making a good impression upon the people that visit here. It's not about the sacrifices the people that live here make, it's about how it can be better for their families and for others.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

What's amazed me since moving and working in China, is the incredible lack of oppression. There is not even the slightest hint of an oppressed or pressured people.

The people of China, and in this case Beijing, are not only complying with the government request to lower the number of vehicles on the road. Anywhere and everywhere it's apparent that the people are doing this willingly and going above and beyond. Thousands of families and friends now commute together. Where there was once one person in a car, now two and three share. The government only requires that the people follow the odd-even license plate mandate. America tried voluntary car-pooling. Didn't ever seem to get a foot-hold in a country where the people are perceived as selfish and self-serving.

Now, in contrast, trying to do something like that in America would bring out the worst of American attitudes. Ask an American to drive every-other-day rather than every day; no way, no how. How dare the government make such a request. Since when is doing something for others a part of the American way? ......

....well, it used to be, but it now seems long forgotten.....

It's interesting that the voices of the people of China are about helping one another; about making a good impression upon the people that visit here. It's not about the sacrifices the people that live here make, it's about how it can be better for their families and for others.

you nailed it Jesse... you mean the spoiled American way!!!!? ......

there is a reason why people hate us as a nation in this world.

we could learn alot from China as a country working together as a nation of people.....

China has paid the penalty for growing leaps and bounds these last years too many factorys and automobiles

i heard they will be shooting rockets filled with some chemical to produce blue sky

rain making

Now Yu and the other rainmakers face their toughest challenge: making sure it stays dry for the opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The idea is for the peasant gunners to work with meteorologists watching radar in the capital. Together, they will hunt pregnant rain clouds and pound them with rockets containing silver iodide. The hope is that any moisture will fall before the clouds can threaten the parade of athletes and lighting of the Olympic flame at the new National Stadium.
Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Much of your lack of seeing it can surely be attributed to an incredible lack of a free and open press. :rotfl:

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

Much of your lack of seeing it can surely be attributed to an incredible lack of a free and open press. :)

What I see is with my own eyes and my own ears. It's not been filtered through a press that is heavily slanted to present China in a bad light or good light.

All one need do is to travel about the country of China to talk, live and experience them one-on-one. I'm fortunate to be living and working with the people of China now so I have a first-hand account of wha't really happening. I can assure you that I am not on the Chinese government payroll; and for those in the Chinese media that are, are simply doing their job to present China in a good light.

The people of China a well-aware that their government controls the media. So, most of them are wise enough to get their real-news from other sources. Funny, that most Americans reduce themselves to getting their news from Nickelodian, Jerry Springer, or some equally responsible news organization.

Much of your lack of seeing it can surely be attributed to an incredible lack of a free and open press. :D

What I see is with my own eyes and my own ears. It's not been filtered through a press that is heavily slanted to present China in a bad light or good light.

All one need do is to travel about the country of China to talk, live and experience them one-on-one. I'm fortunate to be living and working with the people of China now so I have a first-hand account of wha't really happening. I can assure you that I am not on the Chinese government payroll; and for those in the Chinese media that are, are simply doing their job to present China in a good light.

The people of China a well-aware that their government controls the media. So, most of them are wise enough to get their real-news from other sources. Funny, that most Americans reduce themselves to getting their news from Nickelodian, Jerry Springer, or some equally responsible news organization.

The point is that not only are you not getting it through a filter, you're not getting it at all, at least not all of it. You ARE fortunate to be living and working in a country as culturally diverse and fascinating as China. I envy you that. I really do. But with that fortune comes the limitations and reality of living in a communist country, including being ill-informed about much of what's happening there. Your eyes and ears are only so big and can only see and hear so much.

In and around Beijing I'm sure things are fairly rosy for the majority of people. At least the ones who haven't been made homeless and shipped out of town. But believe it or not, however extensive your travels and interactions may be, the reality is that you're NOT getting the full picture of what's really going on in all of China. You're getting the rosy picture of what's going on in front of you.

Try traveling to Sichuan Province and into the cities and villages where schools were destroyed by the quake. Ask the parents there whose protestations about the poor construction (that most probably led to their children's deaths) have been surpressed, sometimes violently, and concealed from the rest of China and the world if they feel the slightest hint of oppression or pressure. Or travel to Xinjiang where the government's used the convenient cover of the Games to label any group they dislike a terror organization bent on disrupting the Olympics, allowing for intense crackdowns. Ask the portion of the Uighur people who wouldn't know terrorism if it bit them on the nose but have been subjected to that crackdown if they see any hints of oppression or pressure.

I think it's great that China has the Olympics. I honestly hope it goes well and they're allowed to show the better sides of their nature to the world. But we shouldn't pretend for a minute that the worse sides don't exist as well.