Language and Career Difficulties

When my wife came to the U.S. three years ago, she couldn't speak any English at all. After working a few part-time jobs and interacting with people, she can carry out a basic conversation on most topics. Her English is still weak, but she wants to get an education and start a real career. My concern is that her English is still far from being college level.

Has anyone here faced a similar dilemma? How did your wife develop language skills sufficient for college? Are there any good careers that don't require a college degree? What about vocational schools, are they a better bet? If so, what programs are really useful?

Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. <_<

My wife went to school and got her license as a Nail Technician, doing manicures and pedicures. She did this with limited English and we thought we found a good school, but we discovered they treated immigrants poorly and there was another set of rules for them. :P

It was difficult for her, but we played their game.

The state board exam in Kansas was revised a few years back and is in English only, extremely complex English. It took 5 shots at the written exam, but she got past that. Funny thing is there are Americans who took the same class who still don't have their license.

The trade is pretty much run by the Vietnamese and getting into a place where she was happy to go to work was an experience.

We went through 2 salons trying to find a good place for her to work and now she has found a good place, owned by a Chinese woman and is multi-cultural work environment. 1 Cambodian, 5 Vietnamese, 2 Mexicans, 1 Brazilian and 1 Romanian. (what a mix) ;) The manager took her under his wing and taught her how to do acrylic nails, which is where the real money can be made.

Your wife's success in whatever she does will be made easier with your involvement and strong support. I was involved in every part of this journey and waged a few battles on her behalf, the Kansas Board of Cosmetology knows me well. :wub: During this time she learned a new English word that I didn't have to explain the meaning, discrimination.

If you live in an area with a large Chinese community it can be easier, we seriously considered moving to Oregon or Washington. But this whole experience strengthened our relationship.

It was a difficult road to travel, more for her than me, but we are approaching 1 year at her current work place and she is happy with the work, has made some good friends and is making above average income.

Best of all she comes home with a smile even after a hard day. She has decided we will use her income to become debt free and in a few more years we will be.

It wasn't easy, but worth the trip.

When my wife came to the U.S. three years ago, she couldn't speak any English at all. After working a few part-time jobs and interacting with people, she can carry out a basic conversation on most topics. Her English is still weak, but she wants to get an education and start a real career. My concern is that her English is still far from being college level.

Has anyone here faced a similar dilemma? How did your wife develop language skills sufficient for college? Are there any good careers that don't require a college degree? What about vocational schools, are they a better bet? If so, what programs are really useful?

Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hi Cody,

In California each school district has English classes for people learning English as a second language. Contact your local district to see if they have this. Also, if they don't maybe you can get a teacher to tutor her. Another source is online. Do a google search for ESL. Let us know how it goes.

Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :partytime2:

Hi Cody,

In California each school district has English classes for people learning English as a second language. Contact your local district to see if they have this. Also, if they don't maybe you can get a teacher to tutor her. Another source is online. Do a google search for ESL. Let us know how it goes.

Your local library is another resource for tutors, free of charge.

My wife is actually considering working (initially) at an Asian restaurant. She has several business degrees, but she would like to take a little time to practice her English with other Americans in an environment where she is not expected to speak native English.

How about that?

My wife is actually considering working (initially) at an Asian restaurant. She has several business degrees, but she would like to take a little time to practice her English with other Americans in an environment where she is not expected to speak native English.

How about that?

My wife also has a business degree from a three-year college. However, it doesn't seem to be worth much, since it isn't recognized by any employers over here. For the most part, she is looking at starting all over. Our biggest challenge is helping her to develop adequate English skills for college. She can handle basic English conversations, like a first grader... but that is such a long way from understanding lectures and writing college-level essays.

I would be completely happy if she were satisfied with working at a restaurant or department store. In fact, I would even be happy if she were content with being a homemaker. The problem is that she had a good job in China and wants the same thing in America. She feels unfulfilled without getting some sort of office or health-care job earning thirty-thousand or more. That requires a college education, which seems almost out of reach... for now.

Given her current langauge abilities, do you think it is unrealistic for her to be thinking about college? Perhaps I'm being too pessimimistic about her odds for success.

Edited by Cody (see edit history)

How about that?

My wife also has a business degree from a three-year college. However, it doesn't seem to be worth much, since it isn't recognized by any employers over here. For the most part, she is looking at starting all over. Our biggest challenge is helping her to develop adequate English skills for college. She can handle basic English conversations, like a first grader... but that is such a long way from understanding lectures and writing college-level essays.

I would be completely happy if she were satisfied with working at a restaurant or department store. In fact, I would even be happy if she were content with being a homemaker. The problem is that she had a good job in China and wants the same thing in America. She feels unfulfilled without getting some sort of office or health-care job earning thirty-thousand or more. That requires a college education, which seems almost out of reach... for now.

Given her current langauge abilities, do you think it is unrealistic for her to be thinking about college? Perhaps I'm being too pessimimistic about her odds for success.

It will be a challenge, but not an unrealistic goal. With desire, motivation, patience, and support from you, she will be prepared to enter college in due time. It's just unfortunate for our ladies with limited English skills have limited opportunities. My wife's education in English slang is at the restaurant where she's employed, while learning grammar with a tutor. It's amazing how much these ladies can learn in a short period of time.

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing for a somewhat similar situation with my fianc¨¦e's son who is 18 and college age. My sweet fianc¨¦e Haiqing's English is quite good as she studied it years ago in school and continues to be dedicated to learning more. Her son's English abilities are a little different. He understands about 85% of what I say to him but often does not know how to reply, his oral skills need work.

What I have suggested to her is that when they arrive here, her son should spend one year concentrating on learning more English through a combination of classes, tutors and a part time job where he can be exposed to English on a daily basis. Doing these things should bolster his confidence for tackling college. When he does start college I suggested to her that he start simple and maybe take an art class, which he enjoys, and maybe a History class, which he likes, and maybe even a Chinese class if the school offers it because he will do very well and it will pull up his grade point average while getting him accustomed to a college environment. Our goal is to start him slow and easy so he doesn't become overwhelmed and discouraged.

He has started taking English classes in China this summer, which he wanted to do, in preparation for coming here. He's a smart young man and anxious to learn so this should work to his benefit.

Have a great weekend,

Bob

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing for a somewhat similar situation with my fianc¨¦e's son who is 18 and college age. My sweet fianc¨¦e Haiqing's English is quite good as she studied it years ago in school and continues to be dedicated to learning more. Her son's English abilities are a little different. He understands about 85% of what I say to him but often does not know how to reply, his oral skills need work.

What I have suggested to her is that when they arrive here, her son should spend one year concentrating on learning more English through a combination of classes, tutors and a part time job where he can be exposed to English on a daily basis. Doing these things should bolster his confidence for tackling college. When he does start college I suggested to her that he start simple and maybe take an art class, which he enjoys, and maybe a History class, which he likes, and maybe even a Chinese class if the school offers it because he will do very well and it will pull up his grade point average while getting him accustomed to a college environment. Our goal is to start him slow and easy so he doesn't become overwhelmed and discouraged.

He has started taking English classes in China this summer, which he wanted to do, in preparation for coming here. He's a smart young man and anxious to learn so this should work to his benefit.

Have a great weekend,

Bob

85% is very good. I talked to a guy in England this morning. My understanding of what he said (due to the accent) was somewhat less than that.

We have a guy from Scotland at work. We need a translator when talking with him.

Seriously, 85% is pretty close. Once he starts learning the correct version of what he learned back home, he'll do just fine.

A lady we know who lives up by Cape Cod goes to NYC because a "Nail School" there will honor most of her Chinese transcripts and let her study and take the test in Chinese. Moreover, she has already lined up a job with a lady she met at a Chinese market near Boston.

Another lady living near us went to ESL for a short time and then switched to a local Junior college. It is my understanding the junior college will administer a placement test to ensure proper entry level classes.

Yet another gal has been here about 1 year and has worked in one of the Chinese buffets most of that time. She cannot speak English. Think they'll learn English asking "what would you like to drink?" all day every day? Think again.

Another wife was offered (by the local ESL) the opportunity to go to Tech/Vocational School on a grant with additional, and separate, English tutoring to become a nurse's aide. After considering the general working conditions and hours (dirty, heavy lifting, nights and weekends) for nurse's aides, she declined. She prefers to spend time with her husband.

Finally, I would suggest that what is most useful is that which your wife really wants to do.

Cody ... not sure what state you are in but a number of colleges have a standardized program called ACE or American College English.

Our daughter is an ACE student at a local community college here in SoCal taking ACE and the normal two year curriculum to transfer into a four year California State University or University of California as a junior. The ACE program does just what you want. It gives a solid background in English and grammar while at the same time teaching everyday American English ... to include slang, contracting conventions, etc. Our daughter took a placement test and tested out of the first two courses, this after doing well studying English for 8 years in Chinese Middle School and High School plus having a 4 month immersion course just before coming here. She's now completed her first year of combined ACE and the transfer curriculum and has a 3.9+ GPA.

Be very cautious about thinking that your wife will get significant benefit from public school district ESL classes. They teach to the LCD, the students are often not particularly motivated, and here in California there is too much Spanish used in the classroom.

My wife tried the aforementioned ESL classes and learned little or nothing. This last year she has gone to ESL classes at a college extension ... in an extension you don't enroll in the actual college you just take courses. We have found these college extension courses to be much more professional than the public school district ESL. The students are also more motivated and represent a cross cultural mix not dominated by a single language group.

If you can find ACE or similar in your state that's the way to go if your wife wants to wind up with a US college degree.

85% is very good. I talked to a guy in England this morning. My understanding of what he said (due to the accent) was somewhat less than that.

We have a guy from Scotland at work. We need a translator when talking with him.

Seriously, 85% is pretty close. Once he starts learning the correct version of what he learned back home, he'll do just fine.

Hey Randy,

You're right, 85% is pretty good but I usually speak with him in simple sentences and I'm very selective of the words I use because I know he doesn't understand others. He is a bright young man and when his mother and he moved to Shenzhen ten years ago when he was 8 years old, he picked up Cantonese as a second language no problem.

He learned English in High School but like most boys that age he did not take it seriously because he figured he would never go to the USA. He learned enough to pass the classes and didn't retain everything. Since coming to the USA has now become a reality he is busy trying to learn as much as he can as fast as he can. He is starting an English class today (Monday in China) and will be there all day for the next month. I've been emailing with him a little to give him some practice and I've asked him to share with me what he learns each day. He does pretty well reading and writing as long as he has the ability to look up words he doesn't understand, his oral skills still need work to get him ready for college.

He is very interested in WWII history, specifically anything to do with the Naval aspects and knows a lot about the types of ships and submarines. He can hold a pretty good conversation in English telling you all about the types of ships and how they were used.

If you talk with him about government, the economy, directions, the weather, music, science, math, books or anything else his understanding level is not yet ready for a college environment. He will get there, I'm sure of that.

I know what you mean about talking to people in English that have strong accents and having a hard time understanding them. My sweet fiancee Haiqing often says to me "your words pronounce is so clear I understand you no problem, I don't know I can understand other people speak English".

I have told both of them that America is a melting pot of people from all over the world and they'll get to hear English with every accent they can imagine and with a little practice, they'll understand them all.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend,

Bob

Cody ... not sure what state you are in but a number of colleges have a standardized program called ACE or American College English.

Our daughter is an ACE student at a local community college here in SoCal taking ACE and the normal two year curriculum to transfer into a four year California State University or University of California as a junior. The ACE program does just what you want. It gives a solid background in English and grammar while at the same time teaching everyday American English ... to include slang, contracting conventions, etc. Our daughter took a placement test and tested out of the first two courses, this after doing well studying English for 8 years in Chinese Middle School and High School plus having a 4 month immersion course just before coming here. She's now completed her first year of combined ACE and the transfer curriculum and has a 3.9+ GPA.

Be very cautious about thinking that your wife will get significant benefit from public school district ESL classes. They teach to the LCD, the students are often not particularly motivated, and here in California there is too much Spanish used in the classroom.

My wife tried the aforementioned ESL classes and learned little or nothing. This last year she has gone to ESL classes at a college extension ... in an extension you don't enroll in the actual college you just take courses. We have found these college extension courses to be much more professional than the public school district ESL. The students are also more motivated and represent a cross cultural mix not dominated by a single language group.

If you can find ACE or similar in your state that's the way to go if your wife wants to wind up with a US college degree.

Jim

What about ESL at a Chinese Community Center? Any experience with that? Thanks.

Joe

• 9 months later...

My advice: keep your wife away from any group speaking Chinese as their first language - she won't learn any English.

Chinese restaurant - I've known a Chinese woman in a Chinese buffet restaurant here who has been there for 5-6 years. She still can't carry on a conversation in English. She knows, "how are you", "what do you want to drink" - and the responses to those - that's about all she knows.

My wife won't watch TV here, she has found a Chinese TV website which she watches 12-16 hours a day.

I would say my wife has actually lost a lot of what English she had learned.

I am at wits end on what to do. The English classes she is taking isn't doing her any good because my wife "no care to learn".

She came here 3 1/2 years ago - learned some English for the first 7-9 months, then quite studying.

I tell her she needs to start from the beginning at classes instead of where her classmates are now, but she won't - a pride thing.

She had a Chinese who taught her English in China for maybe 10 months - I talked to him - terrible English - she was offered classes from her friends husband (from USA) who taught there - but she wouldn't because her teacher was "Chinese" and very good teacher. After a year here she admitted this Chinese teacher was "terrible".

My wife was offered a job in Las Vegas (we left as quickly as we got there) for $100,000 a year if she could have spoken good English - you think that would have motivated her, but quite the opposite.

She wants me to learn Chinese - I'm tone deaf - no way I can learn Chinese, but she can't understand this. She just can't get it that she needs English to get a good job.

At wits end here.