TEACHING ENGLISH IN CHINA WITH TEFL CERTIFICATION...

I arrived in Chengdu on March 7. Went to a company called "Sunny's English Club" in late April. They asked for a resume, which I prepared later and took back to them the next day. No response. I have a BS and MS in engineering (1969;1971) and no TEFL certificate. In May, lao po and I met a young Chinese lady who had just finished university and she has very good english skills. She suggested we visit a private english school, "Dai Shi English School" and see if they needed any teachers. Meanwhile, I enrolled in an online TEFL school. This TEFL school was highly rated and when I received the first lesson, I was not impressed. I was asked to complete assignments with no supporting material provided, no reading material, nothing.... it was as if they wanted me to do the research and provide them with my efforts so they could produce a guide for teachers to use, that they would be able to market. Bailed on that.

I started teaching for Dai Shi in June, kids mostly, ranging in age from 9 to 14, class sizes from 6 to 30. I was given a lot of freedom as to what I "taught", no specific lesson plans, just let them hear what a native speaker sounds like. I taught only 4-5 hours a week, was paid 100rmb/hr bi-weekly, in cash.

On the way home one day, lao po noticed a sign on a building advertising "May Flower College of English". We stopped in and gave them my resume, visited the staff and classrooms. They asked me if I could teach one day a week and I signed a contract for six months. Started out with 40 kids from 17-21 years old. The school took my picture and put it in a brochure, so they must want me to stay for a while. They also are paying 100rmb/hr, cash. Over the weeks, the teaching has become more grammer and less improvisation, with lesson plans on modal verbs, imperative verbs, uncountable nouns, etc.

Now, I was not very good at english in school, and I would have preferred to have a tooth pulled than write something creative. However, with the help of the internet (bless it's little pea-pickin' heart) I have been able to find almost everyhing I need to prepare lessons that are fun as well as educational. This has been great, because Dai Shi school has just asked me to teach daily, M-F, anywhere from 2 to 5.5 hours a day. Not sure if this is for me, though.... I'm supposed to be retired :unsure: The money does make up for the pounding the USD is taking and my slowly reduced SSA benefit.

I also interviewed at another school, but they wanted me to be a teacher at what they called an "english village", which would have required me to live away from home. Sorry folks, I'm still on my honeymoon. Suffice it to say, there are jobs available if you either just keep your eyes open or either have, or can develop, some connections. I would not bother with a headhunter, don't really need one. And although other posters have commented about large cities possibly requiring more certifications, etc. ..... Chengdu is not small by any means, population ~ 11 mil. Also, I'm 62 and have not experienced any age bias.

Hope this rambling has been helpful. Feel free to pm me.

Bill

Great story Bill...Glad things are going so well... :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lilac6451

If anyone wants to teach ESL in China, and still hasnt found a job yet, I can help. It will be in the northeast part of China. It is cold there.

:whistling:

If anyone wants to teach ESL in China, and still hasnt found a job yet, I can help. It will be in the northeast part of China. It is cold there.

:)

Thanks...but looking for Southern China.

Edited by Reddragon75 (see edit history)
Guest WenDylan

:lol:

Thanks...but looking for Southeast area.

Where is your NOA2? I am starting to get impatient every time I see your signature timeline. ;)

Yeah...me too!! :unsure:

How often is your case "Touched"?

Ummm..I don't even know what "touched" means. I have seen it on a lot of people's timelines.

Guest WenDylan

Yeah...me too!! :unsure:

How often is your case "Touched"?

Ummm..I don't even know what "touched" means. I have seen it on a lot of people's timelines.

By checking the online status of your case, it will tell you the last date the case was updated... or the last time your case was "Touched" which may show something? Just a thought.

Guest lilac6451

:clapping:

Good luck.

:D

Good luck.

What part? Dongbei is a big area. Cold Colder Coldest, lol

Guest lilac6451

:D

Good luck.

What part? Dongbei is a big area. Cold Colder Coldest, lol

Daqing. :)

A Bachelor's degree + a TESOL/TEFL by a renowned awarding body will bring you more opportunities.

My previous employer offered RMB500/session (90 mins) to the English trainer who delivered English classes to employees. The trainer has a Bachelor's degree in drama and a CELTA certificate (a TESOL qualification by the University of Cambridge). He has considerable ELT experience too. He's excellent. We enjoyed the class so very much. Too bad, he returned to US. :(

P.S I'm in GZ

vet

Edited by corvette (see edit history)