TEACHING ENGLISH IN CHINA WITH TEFL CERTIFICATION...

I think it's just a matter of how good of an act you can put on. I have to admit the first time I got up and stood in front of those kids, I was thinking to myself "What the hell am I doing!" Then , it just came naturally. I also firmly believe that if you do not have strong background in English, you shouldn't teach because you will only make yourself look bad and the kids won't learn shit. LOL

Whether you know jack or not, when you stand in front of a classroom full of Chinese you will have their immediate respect and attention. And with that respect comes a strong duty to teach them. They look up to the teacher as all wise and expect you to teach and rightfully will expect to have learned something each day.

It really is quite simple when you have students with such a great yearning to learn.

For those new here, I have been teach ESL locally now for almost 3 years: http://i36.tinypic.com/14mb1hc.jpg

What, I can't toot my own horn? :P

Well, respect maybe.....Attention.....I think that depends on the ages you teach and the schools that they go to.

When I teach the young kids I NEED an interpreter as my Chinese is not very good. I can make it through classes without an assistant, but it is not fun. How well the kids behave totally depends on the interpreter/assistant. Most of my classes I only see once a week and that at that right you are little more than a substitute teacher to them.....

When I teach middle school age children.................well, actually I refuse to teach middle school children now. If I taught the same classes every day and I could gain the children's respect and attention, it would not be a problem. The few times that I have taught 7th and 8th graders have been some of the worst teaching experiences I have had. As I left the one school I was at I told the teaching staff there that I would be embarrassed to say that those were my students. I was not respected/listened to/paid attention to........In fact I was lucky I could here myself talk there. It was not a matter of taking command because the kids just did not even care that I was there.

Teaching older kids and adults is a pleasure because they care and they are wonderful students. It is also much easier because even people with "no" English actually usually have at least a basic understanding of English.

As pay seems to be about the same across the board (until university level) I actually prefer to teach the youngest kids as long as I have a good assistant/teacher with me.

Joshua

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, respect maybe.....Attention.....I think that depends on the ages you teach and the schools that they go to.

When I teach the young kids I NEED an interpreter as my Chinese is not very good. I can make it through classes without an assistant, but it is not fun. How well the kids behave totally depends on the interpreter/assistant. Most of my classes I only see once a week and that at that right you are little more than a substitute teacher to them.....

When I teach middle school age children.................well, actually I refuse to teach middle school children now. If I taught the same classes every day and I could gain the children's respect and attention, it would not be a problem. The few times that I have taught 7th and 8th graders have been some of the worst teaching experiences I have had. As I left the one school I was at I told the teaching staff there that I would be embarrassed to say that those were my students. I was not respected/listened to/paid attention to........In fact I was lucky I could here myself talk there. It was not a matter of taking command because the kids just did not even care that I was there.

Teaching older kids and adults is a pleasure because they care and they are wonderful students. It is also much easier because even people with "no" English actually usually have at least a basic understanding of English.

As pay seems to be about the same across the board (until university level) I actually prefer to teach the youngest kids as long as I have a good assistant/teacher with me.

Joshua

Agreed, a bilingual assistant makes life easier...

As far as middle to jr high school students go, you sound like any teacher anywhere. Those ages are difficult, especially when they are forced to go. Comparing them to older students who realize their upward mobility may depend on learning English is quite different.

Your point reinforces the premise not to work for a school, but to start your own.

I believe even if they do believe they must respect you, they don't need to. As we all know, not all the people in the world will respect you just because you are who you are. It depends much order you can maintain. You can be a rocket scientist but if you have naughty kids, you need to address the issue right away.

Since we are tooting horns ............... lol

:P

I think it's just a matter of how good of an act you can put on. I have to admit the first time I got up and stood in front of those kids, I was thinking to myself "What the hell am I doing!" Then , it just came naturally. I also firmly believe that if you do not have strong background in English, you shouldn't teach because you will only make yourself look bad and the kids won't learn shit. LOL

Whether you know jack or not, when you stand in front of a classroom full of Chinese you will have their immediate respect and attention. And with that respect comes a strong duty to teach them. They look up to the teacher as all wise and expect you to teach and rightfully will expect to have learned something each day.

It really is quite simple when you have students with such a great yearning to learn.

For those new here, I have been teach ESL locally now for almost 3 years: http://i36.tinypic.com/14mb1hc.jpg

What, I can't toot my own horn? :D

Edited by spacebar (see edit history)

I'm currently a teacher at a university and part time at an English school for children. It was incredibly easy to get the job and it's still easy to find work if I have the extra time. Having a Bachelor's Degree helped, but being a white American helped the most (sad but true). Altogether, I make 14,000+ RMB per month. That is very good considering I'm not in one of the huge cities like Beijing and Shanghai (I'm in Taiyuan, Shanxi). I get to be with my fiancee and live a good life while we wait!

Glad to answer any questions you have!

I should have stayed in China lol and saved up for a house and could have gone to school for my Bachelor's and Master's degree in USA.

The decisions we make in life 'sigh' !!

http://i34.tinypic.com/14lhnom.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/dvsdft.jpg

Nabeshin , I would take advantage of the opportunity and save up as much as you can. Then , if you decide, you can return to USA living the good life hehe. That is if the economy doesn't continue to go down hill.

I'm currently a teacher at a university and part time at an English school for children. It was incredibly easy to get the job and it's still easy to find work if I have the extra time. Having a Bachelor's Degree helped, but being a white American helped the most (sad but true). Altogether, I make 14,000+ RMB per month. That is very good considering I'm not in one of the huge cities like Beijing and Shanghai (I'm in Taiyuan, Shanxi). I get to be with my fiancee and live a good life while we wait!

Glad to answer any questions you have!

Thanks for all the input, and those cool photos, from you teachers. In my years of flying around america, new Zealand, and Australia teaching classes I loved seeing the light of awareness come on in students eyes as they caught on to what you were teaching.

I always look to learn and each of you gave me more knowledge. I love hearing your experiences and input.

"If" 3 years from now we make a DCF application, teaching will just be another part of the application process for me and will most likely only be a 6 month or so experience, but who knows, our path may well stay in China and once my books are finished and our son's excellent schooling is finished we may start our own little school for play money to travel down under to see our friends in paradise. :)

Thanks again guys.

tsap seui

I wouldn't go as far and saying a Bachelor's degree is better than the TEFL certificate. You can get a Bachelor's degree in Biology or even Computer Science but it might not help much if your English language grammar is weak... Now, if you have a Master's degree in English linguistics, that would probably be your best bet. Though it's a lot of studying and a lot of work lol.

One may be an English native speaker but if one doesn't know the English rules, one could look bad in front of the students trying to give a long explanation such as 'why do you add the letter (n) in front of the letter a to make "an". Yet, in front of other words, it's omitted.

To get back to the matter at hand, the bachelor's degree is far more important than the TEFL certification. For lots more advice, go to www.eslcafe.com. They have a China forum.

One may be an English native speaker but if one doesn't know the English rules, one could look bad in front of the students trying to give a long explanation such as 'why do you add the letter (n) in front of the letter a to make "an". Yet, in front of other words, it's omitted.

Good point, Space. But, I (and I am sure you) seriously doubt that many of us (who are educated) know the reasons why (rules of) English is written and spoken the way it is.

You're right, it would take a person versed in English Linguistics to know the roots and reasons of it.

And, as far as teaching English, although helpful it isn't always necessary to know the reasoning. What I have found is there are just simply many things about English that one has to remember, because there are just too many exceptions to those rules.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Yep, being able to clearly state those rules can be elusive for us old guys, my Masters degree was 20 years ago! I bought a book about two years ago that I find very helpful. It's only 160 pages but it really covers everything:

The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need

By Susan Thurman

Adams Media

ISBN1-58062-855-9

I recommend it.

Well , there's no doubt there are too many exceptions in the English language. Especially in USA, where the rules are often broken and it really creates so many problems. Especially when a variety of people abusively use English slang and confuse the heck out of foreigners. I'm glad most of the people I've introduced my wife do not use too much slang or else she would probably quit learning English. It's hard enough there are so many words in the English language...

I don't have a problem with slang but some people often use certain words which are twisted and substituted for words that make no sense....

Well that's a problem that is not going away any time soon.

Good point, Space. But, I (and I am sure you) seriously doubt that many of us (who are educated) know the reasons why (rules of) English is written and spoken the way it is.

You're right, it would take a person versed in English Linguistics to know the roots and reasons of it.

And, as far as teaching English, although helpful it isn't always necessary to know the reasoning. What I have found is there are just simply many things about English that one has to remember, because there are just too many exceptions to those rules.

Yep, being able to clearly state those rules can be elusive for us old guys, my Masters degree was 20 years ago! I bought a book about two years ago that I find very helpful. It's only 160 pages but it really covers everything:

By Susan Thurman

Adams Media

ISBN1-58062-855-9

I recommend it.

The hardest course I took in college was Advanced Grammar, only made a "C" in that class.

I suffer in a grammatical agony every day I am doing my medical transcription, especially with subject-verb agreement problems. Then I just say oh well whatever, type it the way the doctor says, even if it is probably wrong.

Did you try the Bedford's handbook. It's a pocket size book and it is very very insightful regarding English grammar.....

It's pretty helpful.

By Susan Thurman

Adams Media

ISBN1-58062-855-9

I recommend it.

The hardest course I took in college was Advanced Grammar, only made a "C" in that class.

I suffer in a grammatical agony every day I am doing my medical transcription, especially with subject-verb agreement problems. Then I just say oh well whatever, type it the way the doctor says, even if it is probably wrong.

THANKS ALL FOR THE INPUT. FEEL FREE TO KEEP IT COMIN. ;)

I arrived in Chengdu on March 7. Went to a company called "Sunny's English Club" in late April. They asked for a resume, which I prepared later and took back to them the next day. No response. I have a BS and MS in engineering (1969;1971) and no TEFL certificate. In May, lao po and I met a young Chinese lady who had just finished university and she has very good english skills. She suggested we visit a private english school, "Dai Shi English School" and see if they needed any teachers. Meanwhile, I enrolled in an online TEFL school. This TEFL school was highly rated and when I received the first lesson, I was not impressed. I was asked to complete assignments with no supporting material provided, no reading material, nothing.... it was as if they wanted me to do the research and provide them with my efforts so they could produce a guide for teachers to use, that they would be able to market. Bailed on that.

I started teaching for Dai Shi in June, kids mostly, ranging in age from 9 to 14, class sizes from 6 to 30. I was given a lot of freedom as to what I "taught", no specific lesson plans, just let them hear what a native speaker sounds like. I taught only 4-5 hours a week, was paid 100rmb/hr bi-weekly, in cash.

On the way home one day, lao po noticed a sign on a building advertising "May Flower College of English". We stopped in and gave them my resume, visited the staff and classrooms. They asked me if I could teach one day a week and I signed a contract for six months. Started out with 40 kids from 17-21 years old. The school took my picture and put it in a brochure, so they must want me to stay for a while. They also are paying 100rmb/hr, cash. Over the weeks, the teaching has become more grammer and less improvisation, with lesson plans on modal verbs, imperative verbs, uncountable nouns, etc.

Now, I was not very good at english in school, and I would have preferred to have a tooth pulled than write something creative. However, with the help of the internet (bless it's little pea-pickin' heart) I have been able to find almost everyhing I need to prepare lessons that are fun as well as educational. This has been great, because Dai Shi school has just asked me to teach daily, M-F, anywhere from 2 to 5.5 hours a day. Not sure if this is for me, though.... I'm supposed to be retired :rolleyes: The money does make up for the pounding the USD is taking and my slowly reduced SSA benefit.

I also interviewed at another school, but they wanted me to be a teacher at what they called an "english village", which would have required me to live away from home. Sorry folks, I'm still on my honeymoon. Suffice it to say, there are jobs available if you either just keep your eyes open or either have, or can develop, some connections. I would not bother with a headhunter, don't really need one. And although other posters have commented about large cities possibly requiring more certifications, etc. ..... Chengdu is not small by any means, population ~ 11 mil. Also, I'm 62 and have not experienced any age bias.

Hope this rambling has been helpful. Feel free to pm me.

Bill

Edited by Bill & Tian (see edit history)