My Fiancee's daughter has said is very ok to leave her friends behind in the china....but she very no want to leave her cat behind.....has anyone here brought from china the family pet?...if so, how to go about doing this?.....appreciate any help or information i can get for this...thanks

Guest WenDylan

My Fiancee's daughter has said is very ok to leave her friends behind in the china....but she very no want to leave her cat behind.....has anyone here brought from china the family pet?...if so, how to go about doing this?.....appreciate any help or information i can get for this...thanks

That is so sweet!

(Note: I've never done this myself, but for what it's worth here's my two cents.)

I don't think it would be a problem because a cat, confined to a small kennel or proper kennel bag will definitely not be a weight or size issue.

Contact your airline for the best information. I checked with NWA and found...

Northwest welcomes small domesticated dogs, cats and birds in the passenger cabin on all flights within the U.S. (except to Hawaii). Small dogs and cats are also permitted in the passenger cabin between the U.S. and many international destinations.

I researched a little further and found...

To ensure a comfortable environment for all our passengers, the following limitation and restrictions will be enforced.

* Accomodation: Your pet must always remain in its carry-on under your seat for the duration of the flight. Northwest limits each flight to six (6) carry-on kennels; two (2) in First or WorldBusiness Class and four (4) in Economy. On Northwest Airlink flights operated by Mesaba and Pinnacle Airlines, there is a limit of four (4) carry-on kennels: two (2) in First Class and two (2) in Economy.

* Pets: Carry-on pets are limited to small dogs, cats, and household birds (birds are allowed only within the 48 contiguous U.S. and Alaska). All other pets, including ferrets and reptiles, must travel as cargo.

* Aircraft: Carry-on pets are not permitted in WorldBusiness Class on Northwest A330 aircraft, due to the lack of sufficient under seat storage space. This restriction does not apply to service animals, nor does it apply to WorldBusiness Class on our 747 and DC-10 aircraft or Economy Class on any of our aircraft.

* Class of Service: You and your pet must travel together on the same flight and in the same class of service.

* Age of Pets: Pets less than eight (8) weeks old are not permitted.

* Local Authority: Due to local government or handling restrictions, Northwest does not permit carry-on pets to several destinations, including Hawaii, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Oman, Singapore, South Africa and the United Kingdom. Depending upon your final destination, your pet may accompany you and travel with your luggage or as cargo.

I am no expert, but I would recommend a vet visit and carrying some document with you that the pet is properly vaccinated. However I read the places you can travel from and by this list of destinations, I infer that I could travel with a small pet from Guangzhou, PRC to Narita, Tokyo, Japan to Detroit, MI and then home to OKC, OK with no problems encountered.

To be safe, I would insist calling your airline for the best info. But everything from my reading shows that this is acceptable, almost without a doubt! ;)

Edited by WenDylan (see edit history)

We brought Ying's cat with us. It really was not much trouble. I think I have posted about this before, not sure. On the China side we had to go to vet authorized for export inspection, then go to the ministry of export qaulity or something and get the permit. The whole process took one day. We were in Beijing and did this in Beijing. We paid about $130 for the cat's ticket ( United) , he went in the cabin with us. I had used some of my miles for a upgrade to business, so we had plenty of room for the cat. On the US side it was easy, sort yes it is cat.

Google traveling with pets, it will guide you to some good info. It is important to check with your airline and advise them ahead of time that you will be traveling with a pet. I did that when I was booking the tickets. ( The advising - I did the checking beforehand) It is a little more complicated if the pet is going as checked luggage (not in cabin) They will not tranport the pet if the carrier, food/water, etc. and conditions do not meet the requirements.

We did not use in any drugs, etc. The cat complained at first about being in the carrier, but once on board he was fine. We checked on him every so often, he did not want any food or water.

BTW, I am really glad we brought Suncat with us. He is part of our family and is a bit different than USA cats.

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)

Here's a thread from last February, which may be of help:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry381043

• 1 month later...
Guest WenDylan

Sure glad I won't be on that flight - I'm severally allergic to cats and with the air in a plane cabin I'd be in big trouble with a cat within 20 feet, maybe further.

Maybe they will release your oxygen mask if you ask politely... :lol: