Travel to Canada on 2-year GC, is it ok?

Wife has received 2-year Green card in June. We plan to go on a road trip to Ontario Canada during this long weekend. What are needed in order to pass through Canadian Custom? and Will wife be able to return to US with just Green card? Just want to make sure before we actually go on this trip.

Please advise. Thank you! :)

Wife has received 2-year Green card in June. We plan to go on a road trip to Ontario Canada during this long weekend. What are needed in order to pass through Canadian Custom? and Will wife be able to return to US with just Green card? Just want to make sure before we actually go on this trip.

Please advise. Thank you! :)

Take her green card and passport. Last time we went to Canada, we got into Canada on just her green card, but on return they asked to see both. We had it, so this wasn't a problem. I don't think the passport is required until next year as this requirement was delayed, but just be safe and take it also.

Perfectly fine, Canada does not require a visa for any person admited to the USA as a resident (Green-Card Holder).

Note: The only difference between a person that has a 2 year green-card and a person that has a permanent 10-year card is that there are conditions that need to be removed 2 years after getting the card, they are still an LPR if they have 2 yeard card or 10 year card.

We traveled to Toronto last winter using the 2 year card.

Note: If crossing into Canada by car, keep it simple with the Canada and US POE, give them your US passport, and just the 2 year green-card when they ask for ID, and keep the Chinese passport handy just in case they want to see it, don't give them both green-card and Chinese passport together, this sometimes confuses the POE officers.

Perfectly fine, Canada does not require a visa for any person admited to the USA as a resident (Green-Card Holder).

Note: The only difference between a person that has a 2 year green-card and a person that has a permanent 10-year card is that there are conditions that need to be removed 2 years after getting the card, they are still an LPR if they have 2 yeard card or 10 year card.

We traveled to Toronto last winter using the 2 year card.

Note: If crossing into Canada by car, keep it simple with the Canada and US POE, give them your US passport, and just the 2 year green-card when they ask for ID, and keep the Chinese passport handy just in case they want to see it, don't give them both green-card and Chinese passport together, this sometimes confuses the POE officers.

Thanks for the detailed reply! :threeques: :rolleyes:

We crossed back into USA from Canada twice last year. Once at Niagara Falls and once near Glacier National Park.

We were asked for her passport by the US authorities both times. In addition, we were told both times "please wait" while the IO went inside the nearby building. (presumably to run her stuff through a card reader, or what)

In both instances we only offered her state driver's license (just like me) and her green card. I was not asked for my passport.

Just returned from another weekend trip to Toronto, the border crossing in Niagara Falls was as usual, a breeze, just presented DOS BP officer my passport, and Yu's green-card, asked a few questions and were welcomed home.

If you go to Toronto, China town center is the corner of Spadina and Dundas. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43....011061&z=17

There is another Chinese Center in Mississauga at Dundas and Haines.

http://mississaugachinesecentre.com

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43....011061&z=17

We stayed in Richmond Hill on the north side, this is Chinese Suburbia, there are Chinese businesses in every plaza on highway 7, as well as Steeles Ave in Markham.

While in Toronto I bought Yu a new translator at a shop in Markham, the Besta CD-628 this little computer is quite the gadget, her old one was frustrating her when looking up complex medical and scientific words.

http://www.bestacanada.com/besta_canada_cd628pe.htm