American breakfast or Chinese breakfast?

What about lunch and dinners? Is your wife willing to eat American lunch and dinners or is she going to cook Chinese dinners for the rest of your lives. If she is going to cook Chinese dinners and only speak Chinese then I would suggest that you move to China because she will never be happy here.

So are you saying there is no inbetween? My wife cooks Chinese only because she is 37 and this is what she knows how to cook. We prefer to eat Chinese because it is much healthier for you. So we are mostly on a Chinese food diet. We eat American, Vietnamese, Italian or whatever from time to time. She has been here for 3 years, loves it and her English is improving to the stage she will start massage therapy school in Spetember. So just because someone sticks to a Chinese diet does not make them anti-American.

That is not what I am saying. Did you read the two posts that Ken wrote? His wife does not want to learn English and he needs to learn Chinese and she hates all American food. What will she do here if she does not know any English and refuses to learn? Eat whatever you want, I don't care. As long as you are happy that is all that counts. In my house we eat both Chinese and American. We do eat healthy and go running every night. I do believe we are all proud Americans, just with different views.

This is what she says right now... having never been to the US and only getting exposed to it by McD and KFC :ph34r: Lucky she'll even go to the US after that experience B)

Allow a person to share or spill some emotion in the moment when they feel a little insecure about an unknown future experience; she cannot see or control the future experience at this moment. Give her a year in the US and many things change.

or not.

David's right as usual. Many people make statements about not doing this or not liking that when facing something new or uncertain, only to change their mind when they're acually doing it. This is a natural reaction that most sane people can recognize, relate to, and empathize with.

Only the most narrow-minded among us would be unwilling to give a person the benefit of the doubt that moving 7,000 miles to a completely different country and culture is very daunting. And that they just might have a little of the insecurity that David mentioned until they get here and become more comfortable with their new surroundings.

My wife and I just had a conversation about this and she agrees that she's changed her way of thinking on things, including food, since she's been here. At first she didn't want to eat any American food. But as we try thnigs that are new to her or that she's not used to, she finds herself liking more and more of them.

I don't know Ken's wife but I for one am willing to give her enough credit as a person and as a functioning adult that she'll be able to adapt to things here enough so that her and Ken can share a very happy life together here in the US.

It's called growing as a person. It's easier for some more than others.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been to China twice and both times was dragged to KFC and Mickey D's. I tried to tell them I didn't eat that stuff here but they thought I was losing weight. If I was I needed to. Now that Li is here she mostly does leftovers for breakfast. Deep dish pizza, chili dogs whatever is around. Went out one time and I ordered a bunch of different breakfast dishes so she'd have a selection to choose from. Got the gravey for the biscuits on the side and she ate it up with a spoon like soup :ph34r:

Damn George, yaw is sho' nuff hillbilly material. Pizza, chili dawgs, biscuits n' gravy for breakfast...throw in an occassional egg, some hunks of watermellon, and LOT'S of GRITS and buddy we'll call you Bubba :ph34r: :)

You cracked me up, and reminded me of my years with my first wife..she had just turned 18 and I wuz 21. We bought us a house but in the wintertime you had to walk around my Harley in the doorway of the living room, to get in.

Thanks for the memorys, me an that ol' gal had us a ball...chili dawgs for breakfast. B) Shucks, done that plenty of times.

tsap seui

Guest lilac6451

I think there is some kind of arguement going on here. This topic has turned into something else instead of American breakfast or Chinese breakfast.

You must admit, a lot of guys here dont like the reality check until it is too late.

As a woman, and a Chinese myself, I can read very obvious that Ken's wife doesnt like him, not American breakfast. I will tell you guys why. Because in Chinese culture, if a woman married a man willingly and happily, she will like everything her husband likes, at least she will not say anything or do anything in a confrontedly way to her husband. Unfortunately, she is doing that to him.

So you guys, just want to say everything is peaches and cream even if there is a red flag.

Some people actually are acting in a mean way unintentionally because instead of helping Ken realize the truth and remind him to do more communication with his wife in order to solve all the future problems, you just hide all from him.

So what will be the consequences? After spending tons of money and energy to bring her here, she might disappear in the airport, another missing wife. Is that what you want to happen to him?

I dont want to offend anyone. Maybe, I am wrong, because miracle does happen, doesnt it?

Guest Mike and Lily

I think there is some kind of arguement going on here. This topic has turned into something else instead of American breakfast or Chinese breakfast.

You must admit, a lot of guys here dont like the reality check until it is too late.

As a woman, and a Chinese myself, I can read very obvious that Ken's wife doesnt like him, not American breakfast. I will tell you guys why. Because in Chinese culture, if a woman married a man willingly and happily, she will like everything her husband likes, at least she will not say anything or do anything in a confrontedly way to her husband. Unfortunately, she is doing that to him.

So you guys, just want to say everything is peaches and cream even if there is a red flag.

Some people actually are acting in a mean way unintentionally because instead of helping Ken realize the truth and remind him to do more communication with his wife in order to solve all the future problems, you just hide all from him.

So what will be the consequences? After spending tons of money and energy to bring her here, she might disappear in the airport, another missing wife. Is that what you want to happen to him?

I dont want to offend anyone. Maybe, I am wrong, because miracle does happen, doesnt it?

That's a pretty strong condemnation of Ken's relationship with his wife. Don't you think that you're making some black and white assumptions here that don't apply to most relationships? My wife certainly doesn't like everything that I like, but I know she loves me. She married me because she loves me, not because I agree to take care of her in exchange for a lifetime of service. My wife confronts me on many things quite frequently, and I still love her dearly. Not all Chinese wives are so "shu nu" (淑女)that they agree to give up all their goals and ambitions just to be at the service of their husbands.

Edited by Mike and Lily (see edit history)

Ken88 - I'll add another opinion , just to make it complete.

I learned that food and cooking is big part of Chinese Culture. I thought that if I were to ease my wife into American Culture, I would try to keep as much Chinese Culture inside my home from day 1, till she made her own transition and morphing.

With that in mind, we talked about cooking a lot.

Chinese cooking, to be specific.

She's a fun person, very amicable, and has lots of friends. I learned that she really doesn't cook, but if forced to cook, will make something easy. I learned this about 2 years ago.

I had suggested to her that she learn how to cook all of her favorite dishes that she likes to EAT, and ask her uncles and aunties to help her learn. I had figured that once she could cook the food that she likes, then she can teach me to cook (my chinese cooking style is ok, i have skills a few steps past rudimentary) the dishes that she likes. THEN, once she's here, I know all of these ingredients aforehand, and will have learned where to buy them or equivalents in Houston. Each trip, for me, is big cooking class. She teaches me, her uncles teach me, I learn about ingredients and more of the things she likes to eat.

Cooking is a big part of Chinese Culture. But hey - don't take my word for it - go watch a movie. Check out 'Eat Drink Man Woman' from yer favorite movie rental place, and watch it a few times. Sure, it's based in Taiwan, but the cooking culture is ALMOST the same for what your wife grew up with. If you wanna get really specific on the food prep, watch the first 5 minutes. That cook makes more dishes in the first 5 minutes , it's useful to study and watch and learn. If I could do prep as fast as him, I'd be more Chinese than I am now.

One sad visage is that many chinese folk, in china, get exposed to the American fast Food chains in China, and think it's american food. American food, by definition, is an echo of the cultures that immigrated into the country. Sure, we have regional varieties usually not found in the chain resturants, and the food you find at chili's in Brighton Beach is the same you find in Corpus Christi without variation.

Just be aware that it's not just 'food' for Chinese people - food is steeped deep in culture. To ignore the food? ya ignore the culture. Ignore the culture? and I think yer stepping into a self-made pile o dog poo that will be hard to get off the soles of yer feet.

Be Well, and Well Rested !

Hmmmmmmmm, my wife only eats Chinese food-I like American. I watch sports-she doesn't like them so she watches soaps. I enjoy fishing-she does not. I'd rather pee standing up--she wouldn't and on and on.

D'ya think she hates me??????????????? I think not!!!!

Hmmmmmmmm, my wife only eats Chinese food-I like American. I watch sports-she doesn't like them so she watches soaps. I enjoy fishing-she does not. I'd rather pee standing up--she wouldn't and on and on.

D'ya think she hates me??????????????? I think not!!!!

Yeah but what does she think ??!? :lol: :blink: :D

Guest lilac6451

What is the name of that guy? Calm down.

1. I dont know your story with your wife at all. So dont put your feet into my shoes.

2.I didnt condemn anyone. I just kindly remind Ken that maybe he might work on his relationship with his wife.

3. As I said before, people here sometimes just cant take anything opposite from theirs. I am tired of reading people's posts like:" Congratulations" when they dont even know what to congratulate on.

Guest lilac6451

Something needs to be clarified.

The something I put in my postings is not something you are talking about like fishing, watching TV. You are not smart enough to understand me. :blink:

See, some guys have already turned blue by my postings.

Edited by lilac6451 (see edit history)
Guest lilac6451

I guess I should take English classes. :ph34r:

ÎÒÊǷdz£ÓÞ±¿µÄ! :stupid:

You wrote the Chinese wrong. It should've been:

ÎÒÌ«±¿ÁË!

You cant use "ÊÇ¡° when the predicative is adjective, a common mistake by Americans learning Chinese

Guest Mike and Lily

I guess I should take English classes. :ph34r:

ÎÒÊǷdz£ÓÞ±¿µÄ! :stupid:

You wrote the Chinese wrong. It should've been:

ÎÒÌ«±¿ÁË!

You cant use "ÊÇ¡° when the predicative is adjective, a common mistake by Americans learning Chinese

That proves my point! ;)

Something needs to be clarified.

The something I put in my postings is not something you are talking about like fishing, watching TV. You are not smart enough to understand me. :stupid:

See, some guys have already turned blue by my postings.

I'm not smart enough to understand you?? May I please see your PhD?

We usually eat chi ba (sp?) for breakfast in china.

I discovered that I love Chinese breakfast! The 1st time I was there it was for work and where I stayed they had free breakfast. I really like eating noodles, dumplings, vegetable, rice soup with chopped green onion (and dried shrimp if available)

My wife likes western breakfast sometimes (actually I think she just likes the spoiling more) ;) so we have an agreement that on weekend mornings I will make her bacon, eggs & biscuits (I'll make my grandma's homemade buttermilk buscuits if she's nice to me) :stupid: They melt in your mouth!

I can't wait to make her a tex-mex dish I like called migas, scrambled eggs with green onion (I add saut¨¦ed mushrooms) corn tortilla chips, shredded cheese and picante sauce on top. WOO HOO!!! :ph34r: