Travel Help

I am heading off to Shenzhen to visit my Zhenni. I am lucky enough to have the miles for a free flight to / from China on NWA. The only issue I have is the flight arrives at 10:00p in Hong Kong. (BTW does China use 24 hour clock i.e. 2200 for 10:00p?)

I thought I had read that the buses / trains stopped running from Hong Kong to Shenzhen at 11:00p. I could not find that thread after 15 minutes so started another. :)

What can those that been there suggest? Should I just plan on getting a room in Hong Kong that night? Is there any chance of catching the bus or train to Shenzhen if I arrive on time? I will be flying coach (my back already aches) but at least I am gold member so bags should come off quickly.

I seen to remember that taxis were not really an option, correct? Or at least crazy costs for that trip. But even worst would be to get across the border and then have an issue getting to the hotel.

One last question, I was thinking of staying at the Best Western, it sounded reasonable for a 2 week stay (~ $1,100) but was wondering if this was just my typical American expectations on cost being used against me! lol

Recommendations for a nice hotel where the two of us would be comfortable would be greatly appreciated.

One more item, I will be there the first couple of weeks of September and departing shortly after the Mid-Autumn Festival. If there are any other members who are going to be there maybe we can meet for a adult beverage, tea or a light bite to eat. It might also be a chance for our SOs to meet someone else who is living through the process.

Anyway thanks for your help in advance. I wish to get the visa process started next week and yes I do need hotel reservations.

Cheers!

I am heading off to Shenzhen to visit my Zhenni. I am lucky enough to have the miles for a free flight to / from China on NWA. The only issue I have is the flight arrives at 10:00p in Hong Kong. (BTW does China use 24 hour clock i.e. 2200 for 10:00p?)

I thought I had read that the buses / trains stopped running from Hong Kong to Shenzhen at 11:00p. I could not find that thread after 15 minutes so started another. :)

What can those that been there suggest? Should I just plan on getting a room in Hong Kong that night? Is there any chance of catching the bus or train to Shenzhen if I arrive on time? I will be flying coach (my back already aches) but at least I am gold member so bags should come off quickly.

I seen to remember that taxis were not really an option, correct? Or at least crazy costs for that trip. But even worst would be to get across the border and then have an issue getting to the hotel.

One last question, I was thinking of staying at the Best Western, it sounded reasonable for a 2 week stay (~ $1,100) but was wondering if this was just my typical American expectations on cost being used against me! lol

Recommendations for a nice hotel where the two of us would be comfortable would be greatly appreciated.

One more item, I will be there the first couple of weeks of September and departing shortly after the Mid-Autumn Festival. If there are any other members who are going to be there maybe we can meet for a adult beverage, tea or a light bite to eat. It might also be a chance for our SOs to meet someone else who is living through the process.

Anyway thanks for your help in advance. I wish to get the visa process started next week and yes I do need hotel reservations.

Cheers!

It wasn't so late at night but here was my experience in making that trip. There was a desk in Honk Kong airport for car service to Shenzhen. I hope they're open late enough for you but I don't know. I think if you memorize the characters for Shenzhen you can pick out the desk. Option was take you to border or take you to your hotel in Shenzhen. I chose to hotel. Put me in a minivan that drove to border, got me and my luggage out then stuck a green sticker to my jacket and pointed into border crossing building. (Hong Kong passport check is done while in car..driver hands all passports then moves car back and forth so the guy can see each passenger.) Scanned my luggage, examined my passport. Only took a few minutes. As I emerged on the other side, girl with walkie-talkie looks for your sticker. She didn't speak English so she grabbed me, pulled me to the side. Obviously, someone was telling her how many green stickered people were coming through. When she collected us all, put us in another minivan for trip to hotels. I stayed at the Days Inn which was good but they had a hard time finding it.

I don't remember the price but I remember thinking it was very reasonable at the time and I bought the same trip back to the airport and it was very smooth and efficient as well. Maybe your SO can call HK airport and see what time these car services stop operating? Good Luck!

Once you clear customs and go downstairs to exit, there is a travelex money changer place. To the left of that is a bus/van transfer service that will take you to HuangGuang Customs. The fee is 150HKD. Arriving on Northwest you will be fine.

Either you can meet your SO there or take a taxi to your destination.Just ignore all the people who want to help you and cross over the catwalk to the taxi stand.

If she cannot meet you there, have her send the address to you in Chinese to show the driver. Is what I always do.

I just took this very same van a month ago.

Enjoy your trip

Paul

Well made the leap of faith today and booked the tickets. Not too bad after all. Only 90,000 miles and $44 buck on Northwest.

I will arrive on Aug 31st late of course and depart on Sep 16th. Boy am I glad I had some vacation saved up from last year!!! :pilot:

Once more if anyone else is going to be there, let me know. I will try to arrange a face to face hello!

Really looking forward to seeing my SO. I saw a thread here that someone stayed in an Apartment while they were visit Shenzhen. I will have to find that thread again as that might be a nice way to see the area and of course help on the price as I am thinking Chinese New Years for the next visit.

It will be my fist to China. Have been all over Europe, Mexico, Canada, Japan and even a little of South America. I am sure I will do fine. But I was reading travel tips everyone was giving "Colburn" (I think?) and I will remember the TP. That is something I have NEVER packed before.

I am heading off to Shenzhen to visit my Zhenni.

She booked the room through an agency. She got 'us' a better deal this way and it always included breakfast. Better her than you... and I know exactly what you mean. :pilot: Of course it depends on where she lives, but this hotel was decent. :lol: Stayed there twice, something under 40.00 US a night...

http://www.sinohotel.com/english/hotelinfo...252040D957E9EA2

They take Visa and someone usually speaks some English at the front desk. The food is not bad in a pinch, especially for breakfast. There is a place next door that will clean clothes if necessary too. My 'lady' always had my back, checked everything (twice) and if anyone tried to switch deals, play games, or give us a room SHE didn't like, she ate them alive. :rotfl:

Good Luck.. have a great time!

It will be my fist to China. Have been all over Europe, Mexico, Canada, Japan and even a little of South America. I am sure I will do fine. But I was reading travel tips everyone was giving "Colburn" (I think?) and I will remember the TP. That is something I have NEVER packed before.

Maxal,

Very close, but I think it was "Corbin" who you remember.

Here are some posts of his prior to departure for Shenzhen and upon his return:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=28011&hl=

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=28661&hl=

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=28806&hl=

Hope this helps.

Clayton