Chinese Visa help

Ok, here is a visa question going the other way.

I am currently living in China. I have been here for 6 months and I have been staying here using a work Visa(Wo shi lao shi). Now.......We were hoping to have our interview done by the end of June.....but now we have the interview date and it is at the end of July. I want to stay here with my girl until the interview is done.

So.....I need to extend my Visa here. It expires July 5th.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? I was told by the local visa office that it would be best for me to leave China and come back in (Mongolia, Vietnam or Hong Kong). Primarily because I will be changing from a work Visa to a tourist visa.

Questions:

1.) Do I need plane tickets?

2.) Do I need to show where I will be living?

3.) Is it better If I plan to leave before those damned olympics?

4.) Where is the best place to go?

That is all I can think of right now, but I may or may not have drank too much bai jiu before posting.......

Joshua

Right now it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain tourist visas in Hong Kong because of the upcoming Olympics. The best thing to do would be to just get your business visa extended. If you are in major cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou, you can hire agencies that will do all the work for you.

Right now it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain tourist visas in Hong Kong because of the upcoming Olympics. The best thing to do would be to just get your business visa extended. If you are in major cities like Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou, you can hire agencies that will do all the work for you.

You need to convert your Z visa into an L or an F visa. Go to the Public Security Bureau's Entry & Exit Administration on Jie Fang Road and see what they suggest.

Be prepared, however, for rejection. Right now in Guangzhou the policy is absolutely no renewals of L visas. I'm not sure about F visas.

If you go to Hong Kong, also prepare for problems. Unless you find an agency that can help you beat the process, you'll need return air tickets and hotel reservations IF they even accept your application.

When I was in Beijing, they offered a 30 day no questions asked extention to me. I don't know if they still do it with the olympics coming up, and if it applies to work visas or jumping visa classes.

However, the Beijing office told me that if I got the extention done in Inner Mongolia (hubby's hukou location) I could get 6 month extentions. I have already done one 6 month extention and I'm up for one on July 24. I think if you can some how get to a smaller Exit and Entry office you might have a better chance. Make sure your fiance goes with you so that she can persuade them.

If all fails, I think a few red Maos might persuade them? (We did this the last time I extended...told them we NEEDED the passport the next day, which we actually did since we were going back to Beijing, and waved a couple hundreds in front of them, but the boss lady was actually nice and said she'd do it in a day for us for free this time)

Have you looked into getting a temporary residence permit at the local PSB ? I think you could make a convincing argument to stay with yer lass, bring her with you for the 'interview' at the PSB.

Thanks for the advice......I had considered going to Mongolia for the visa Renewal, but I had a friend that went there and he convinced me otherwise. The good news about my extension is that I only need to stay until the 2 or 3rd of august(before the games). I am planning on purchasing a return ticket to the states for then and I hope that helps my cause. I am also going to take our visa application showing that her interview date is on July 29th.......If anyone has any further thoughts or advice, please let me know. I also have a lease on an apartment here that ends at the time that I need to go back. I have been in and out of China several times and have never had any Visa problems(hope this time is the same). I will let all of you know how this turns out.

Thanks

Joshua

Things have changed since Mid April, new 'applications' of rules.

Now, to get new tourist visa from USA, you must have airline tickets in advance, and show either a hotel reservation OR an invite letter from yer lass. I think you have a better chance (and isn't it really all the same money?) of getting the temporary residence permit, and staying IN China with yer lass UNTIL she has her visa in hand. THEN - jump the pond.

TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT..

When ya get a mo, please to update your timeline in yer sig file?

Be Good !

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

When I was in Beijing, they offered a 30 day no questions asked extention to me. I don't know if they still do it with the olympics coming up, and if it applies to work visas or jumping visa classes.

However, the Beijing office told me that if I got the extention done in Inner Mongolia (hubby's hukou location) I could get 6 month extentions. I have already done one 6 month extention and I'm up for one on July 24. I think if you can some how get to a smaller Exit and Entry office you might have a better chance. Make sure your fiance goes with you so that she can persuade them.

While they do accomodate spouses of Chinese citizens, they do not -- and it is totally unrealistic to expect -- help just because you have a Chinese gf or bf.

Edited by GZBILL (see edit history)

Have you looked into getting a temporary residence permit at the local PSB ? I think you could make a convincing argument to stay with yer lass, bring her with you for the 'interview' at the PSB.

There's no such thing as a temporary residence permit.

There is a residence permit which you cannot get just because you are married to a Chinese national. You can only get it if you are on a work or a student visa.

Then there is a permanent residence permit.