police certificate

Guest jade_yan

Guest jade_yan

does anyone have an experience where one police report was accepted, even when consulate knew, or could no, that there were different addresses over 10 years? Its likely that the SH PSB has access to lifetime records.

does anyone have an experience where one police report was accepted, even when consulate knew, or could no, that there were different addresses over 10 years?  Its likely that the SH PSB has access to lifetime records.

We originally sent in two police certificates for the two places my wife had lived for more than six months. These certificates, however, expired because we were Black Hole members. GZ accepted a renewal from only one place (the last place we lived) but it had to include a statement that she had not been arrested anywhere in China. The local office provided this with no problem. Why not e-mail GZ and ask if they will accept this in your case?

Jade_Yan, the way I understand Chinese system, it's not the individual cities, but the province you need to get the police report from. Like GuangDong Province, if you are living in the south. I think the cities only have your records if you were born and stayed in that city you life time. My Financee lived in HuBei, but when she moved to GuangDong Province all her papers when with here, so HuBei didn't have any record of here and wouldn't give her a police ceritficate from there. Best to write the consulate and ask. That way you have a written record of what they say.

does anyone have an experience where one police report was accepted, even when consulate knew, or could no, that there were different addresses over 10 years?  Its likely that the SH PSB has access to lifetime records.

Jade_yan,

I am a little confused. From the responses in this thread that you initiated, there are varying opinions. What it boils down to is this: you can be extremely conservative and go to every city you've lived in for over six months after you turned 16. Or, you can be liberal and only file the police report from the city are registered in. The choice is yours.

We are Americans dealing with a culture/government that is new to us. You were born and raised in China. Don't you know your own rules? Your own government? Don't you know how it works? I'm certain you know it better than us. We in the US know the different sources of information about our backgrounds. The FBI keeps records. The NCIC has records too. Hell....maybe even the CIA knows a couple of us.

Jade_yan.....all I can say is that you should use your knowledge of your history and government to guide your decisions. Trust yourself. If you think one police report is okay, I'm sure you will be right. If you think more are needed, then get more.

Perhaps you could get better advice if you gave us more info. Give us your timelines about the different places you lived, where you have registered, etc.

Since you are a part of this forum, we want everything to work out smoothly and painlessly. I really believe your original question has been answered. But, if you have a special circumstance we are not aware of, you'll need to share a bit more to get your question answered in a way that will give you the guidance you seek.

Good luck....we're pulling for you.

Dave

Hell....maybe even the CIA knows a couple of us.

I agree with Dave,

I'd say, if you come from a big city.... don't sweat it.. Likely ( as in yuhui's case ) PSB can pull up the records...

Actually, she got records from Shanghai PSB only, covering all her stays outside Shanghai, and it was good enough for the boys and girls at Guangzhou US post...

Well.. at least FBI knows me....back in '93.. Was fingerprinted for the N-400 form thinggie :lol:

About CIA, I'm not sure.. although I'm starting to wonder about that black Suburban parked in our driveway on Mondays and thursdays..... And we own a Honda ! :blink:

xxxx, get a piece of ass. It will be your first. One minute you can speak English , the next minute you cannot. Go con someone else you asshole and don't send me any more PMs, asshole. :blink:

My wife listed all the places that she had resided in over her life which was quite a lot compared to most Chinese, and she only had one police certificate. There were no problems with the Consulate.

As far as needing to register with each move, many people don't these days. At one point you couldn't leave your houkow (sp) without permission and technically you are supposed to have a residence permit where you are actually living even now. However the rule is widely ignored. The police at Dalian actually finally asked to see my wife's ID card and scolded her for not registering in Dalian. However they told her that since she was the wife of a foreign expert they wouldn't send her back to her registered home or fine her and they just did the registration at that time. Dalian is the locality that issued the police certificate which was good for all her life and for all of China.

We are Americans dealing with a culture/government that is new to us.  You were born and raised in China.  Don't you know your own rules?  Your own government?  Don't you know how it works?  I'm certain you know it better than us.  We in the US know the different sources of information about our backgrounds.  The FBI keeps records.  The NCIC has records too.  Hell....maybe even the CIA knows a couple of us.

Dave

Problem is Dave that there is not a consistent mode of operation for government in China. There is a very large degree of local autonomy actually. Also, most people in China avoid any contact with the government or the police if at all possible. It doesn't surprise me at all that anyone in China would be unsure of how the system works. Often there is nothing that could actually be called a system.

really, dave? you only used one?  and it was accepted even though GZ knew of other addresses?  I must have missed that in your long postings.

I guess I really won't know until the interview. I'll let you know....hopefully in a couple of months. But yes, we are only using one.

Ling has lived in several different provinces but got the police certificate only from her hometown. It was fine. Truthfully, the GZ staff didn't even look at any of the information. In fact, they did not even look at or keep the affidavit of support! All that work gathering records and nothing....oh well, at least she had it if necessary.

Ling was shopping one day in Beijing when the police swept through and starting fining everyone who did not have a Beijing ID card. 150 rmb I think. Almost no one in the store had the right ID card. The funny thing is that Ling had a Beijing ID card but the police insisted on keeping it while she was taking driving lessons so she had to pay the fine also. Ok, so her Beijing ID was fake :blink: Most rules in China seem to complicated, arbirtrary and subject to whimsical enforcement.

One example is the many "unregistered" workers in Beijing. When the government needs cheap labor to build new apartments and offices, they look the other way. When SARS comes along they round up the unregistereds like plague stricken cattle.